No need for hoarding; plenty of essential food items available in shops and markets, says DIT

webfact

8pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

A deputy of the Department of Internal Trade attached to the commerce ministry has assured the Thai public that there are plenty of food items and essential goods of all description in the shops and markets of the country.

Jakra Yotmanee said that inspectors were checking on the availability of items on an ongoing basis and there were no major problems, reported Sanook.

It was totally unnecessary for anyone to hoard items and people should just shop as normal as possible during the pandemic. 

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Sad 1

I hate to admit it, but when I saw Villa Market had Florida's Grapefruit Juice on the shelves, I bought them all. Then I went to every other store that usually carried it - lo and behold, other stores had it, too. I basically bought every bottle in Pattaya I could find. Just one more reason I'll be heading to hell when this is all done? ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Megasin1 said:

People should be hoarding to a certain extent, or in other words reducing the frequency of their shopping trips. Supermarkets are super spreaders and it just makes good sense to stock up so you don't have to go to them so often. Bad advice once again that has no reflection on current circumstances and is more to do with the shops inability to adapt to changing circumstances.

I agree. The important term is certain extent. There is hoarding and there is hoarding. Local 7-11 out of mama & sardines, but Big C is pretty well stocked. 

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I hate to admit it, but when I saw Villa Market had Florida's Grapefruit Juice on the shelves, I bought them all. Then I went to every other store that usually carried it - lo and behold, other stores had it, too. I basically bought every bottle in Pattaya I could find. Just one more reason I'll be heading to hell when this is all done? ????

Haven't had that in ages, haven't seen it in Pattaya... 

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Jakra Yotmanee said that inspectors were checking on the availability of items on an ongoing basis and there were no major problems,

There is a bit of a shortage of Cheers beer Xtra...obvously no shortage of Chang and Leo though ????

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, steven100 said:

well DIT ,     you certainly got that absolutely wrong  !   many  7-11's have no items in stock,  milk 200ml,  coffee's , sandwiches,  some drinks, pineapple juice .....

Some 7-11's have rows of empty shelves and a heap of rubbish items that no one buys. 

Sounds like my local 7-11 ever since I've been here.

• Haha 1

Our local supermarket - Tescos - has been out of water, and noodle for about 1 week. The meat selection is really weak now with mince, especially being non existent. Rice is also pretty low - plenty of empty shelves and only a couple of rice brands in the rice section. The issue (I am told) is not lack of food but disruption to the delivery of new stock due to covid. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, steven100 said:

well DIT ,     you certainly got that absolutely wrong  !   many  7-11's have no items in stock,  milk 200ml,  coffee's , sandwiches,  some drinks, pineapple juice .....

Some 7-11's have rows of empty shelves and a heap of rubbish items that no one buys. 

And who is the covid tsar who was granted absolute responsibility and authority for the handling of Thailands covid epidemic in April 2021.....Small clue... He is your favorite w*nk dream steve? Don't complain or point out his failures please. 

46 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Haven't had that in ages, haven't seen it in Pattaya... 

Florida's Grapefruit Juice used to be plentiful at both Villa Market and 24 Food Mart. They've been gone for months. Now I should have enough to last until the next shipment. Maybe.

Florida_s-Grapefruit-Juice.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Our local supermarket - Tescos - has been out of water, and noodle for about 1 week. The meat selection is really weak now with mince, especially being non existent. Rice is also pretty low - plenty of empty shelves and only a couple of rice brands in the rice section. The issue (I am told) is not lack of food but disruption to the delivery of new stock due to covid. 

If you can see the line of ships queueing to deliver, you can understand the problem.

19 minutes ago, jonclark said:

And who is the covid tsar who was granted absolute responsibility and authority for the handling of Thailands covid epidemic in April 2021.....Small clue... He is your favorite w*nk dream steve? Don't complain or point out his failures please. 

oh yes jon,  The Prime minister of Thailand is responsible for stocking 7-11 shelves ...  Lol    !!

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

oh yes jon,  The Prime minister of Thailand is responsible for stocking 7-11 shelves ...  Lol    !!

The Hero General Covid Czar can't stock shelves with vaccines for "his people" so shelf-filling multiple products at 7-11 is way beyond his extremely limited skill set.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

17 minutes ago, steven100 said:

No, he is responsible for ensuring that the stocks (You know the food and water you complained about not being in shops in your previous post)  exist in sufficient supply for the staff to restock the shelves.  Even a child could understand that. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, jonclark said:

No, he is responsible for ensuring that the stocks (You know the food and water you complained about not being in shops in your previous post)  exist in sufficient supply for the staff to restock the shelves.  Even a child could understand that. 

I disagree .....  it's not the role of the Prime Minister of Thailand to see that 7-11 gets it's milk or bread on the shelf.

That is the head of 7-11's job.  Not a PM.

we agree to dis-agree.   

30 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I disagree .....  it's not the role of the Prime Minister of Thailand to see that 7-11 gets it's milk or bread on the shelf.

That is the head of 7-11's job.  Not a PM.

we agree to dis-agree.   

Maybe the head of 7/11 - CP - is too busy counting their profits due to pushing Sinovac on Thailand.

Boycott 7/11 if you can.  Hard to boycott CP since they are a monopoly of so much!

But, CP and Prayuth are friends so maybe there is some collusion going on.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, jonclark said:

The issue (I am told) is not lack of food but disruption to the delivery of new stock due to covid. 

I was told the same by the manager at my local Villa last week. One of the major distributors has shut down and it is affecting them.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

What's more quite a few 7/11's have closed!

• Like 2

I don't know why most people would have to horde, nor would many have the ability to store anything worth keeping.  You can horde a few bottles of oil and other cooking ingredients, probably a few cans... but most of the diet is made up vegetables, fruits, meat/seafood, rice.  There should be plenty of those around as long as there is not a catastrophic farming year.  If there is a shortage of one item, adjust and prepare from what is available.   I would think that for the most part, western countries are more at risk from supply chain disruptions... 

19 hours ago, jonclark said:

"And who is the covid tsar who was granted absolute responsibility and authority for the handling of Thailands covid epidemic in April 2021.....Small clue..." He is the image of a demented circus midget, but Steve is usually so drunk that he doesn't notice. :cheesy:

On 8/23/2021 at 2:51 PM, Will B Good said:

No need for hoarding; plenty of essential food items available in shops and markets, says DIT.

Never crossed my mind to start hoarding......will do now, having read this.

Saw the other day an elderly Thai woman in a supermarket carpark with a trolley full of kitchen rolls. Looked like supply for a year...