Go with flow or goal setting

Sparktrader

33 minutes ago, Sparktrader said:

Or is goal setting a big crock of <deleted>?

It is if you set too narrow a target, but broad goals and targets are fine. Similarly, too narrow a focus in one direction may mean you too easily dismiss an opportunity leading in another.

Though as pointed out above, life doesn't always go to plan, so always have Plans B, C, D & E.

So life sucks

Gravity sucks.

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Do you have a 5 year plan?

At this point in history it is a waste of time to plan more than a week ahead, and then only for meals....

As for 5 years, I expect things will change more during that period than in the past 50 combined. Hope you like roller coasters.

Edited by HeijoshinCool
  • Like 2

5-7 years more in Thailand.

then back to uk, when pensions kick in.

got properties in uk., so accommodation and money is no big problem.

will just become a snow bird to Thailand  or some other country.

don't fancy growing very old here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That said,anything can happen to derail it all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TIT.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

If you don't have goals your basically trading who you could be for who you are. "Supposed" to be an ever evolving species those that can't think of what to do or get stuck in the past are denying themselves of so many possibilities. Ahhh <deleted> rather just sit on the couch and sink <deleted>

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, starky said:

If you don't have goals your basically trading who you could be for who you are. "Supposed" to be an ever evolving species those that can't think of what to do or get stuck in the past are denying themselves of so many possibilities. Ahhh <deleted> rather just sit on the couch and sink <deleted>

Ok so name 3 goals

18 hours ago, Sparktrader said:

Which do you do and hows it all going?

Do you have a 5 year plan?

Or is goal setting a big crock of <deleted>?

Goal setting. 100%.

It's too easy to be a leaf on the wind otherwise. Do that too long and one day you wake up and you're middle-aged with very little accomplishment and no direction. No thanks. Far better to decide what you want out of life and make a list of goals to get there with quarterly and annual benchmarking to make sure that you're moving in that direction. Then execute.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess when one has enjoyed a varied and interesting life, having achieved the goal of living the chosen life in Thailand. The plan is surely to go with the flow and establish continuation. 

I am pleased I spent many hours days, weeks, partying and getting about a bit in my youth. Not planned just went with the flow. Now as I age is the time to relax, and ease off, enjoying a less demanding lifestyle.

Bored ha never, goals?just to see my family are doing ok, daily achievements yep, always a little job to do around the place.

When my friends graduated high school (I didn't - quit after grade 10) they all got the full time job, 2-1/4 children, house with a white picket fence.

I bought a Harley.

Talk to them now - Man they are OLD. Went no where, did nothing, stayed in the same job for 25 or 30 years, got the gold pocket watch.

Save Me from that - that is life, but it sure ain't LIVING.

My plan is to keep my voice, so I can be sure to go out Kickin'

and Screamin'

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

When my friends graduated high school (I didn't - quit after grade 10) they all got the full time job, 2-1/4 children, house with a white picket fence.

I bought a Harley.

Talk to them now - Man they are OLD. Went no where, did nothing, stayed in the same job for 25 or 30 years, got the gold pocket watch.

Save Me from that - that is life, but it sure ain't LIVING.

My plan is to keep my voice, so I can be sure to go out Kickin'

and Screamin'

Buying a Harley is a goal. Not doing what your friends were doing is a goal. Choosing not to have the classic 9-5 and 2 1/4 children is maybe not a goal but it's certainly something you aspired to. 

Having goals doesn't make you a square head or locked into some boring existence. The most adventurous people in the world had goals to go places, do things and see sights that no one had ever experienced before. 

The David Goggins, Jocko Wilinks and their ilk done more kickin and screaming then you will ever pretend to do 

Edited by starky

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

I guess when one has enjoyed a varied and interesting life, having achieved the goal of living the chosen life in Thailand. The plan is surely to go with the flow and establish continuation. 

I am pleased I spent many hours days, weeks, partying and getting about a bit in my youth. Not planned just went with the flow. Now as I age is the time to relax, and ease off, enjoying a less demanding lifestyle.

Bored ha never, goals?just to see my family are doing ok, daily achievements yep, always a little job to do around the place.

So no goals but the goal of living in Thailand lol. 

18 minutes ago, 473geo said:

" I guess when one has enjoyed a varied and interesting life"

Are they mutually exclusive ? Goals and a varied and interesting life? <deleted>

Edited by metisdead
Profane acronym removed.