COVID-19: Thailand reports 20,059 recoveries and 17,165 coronavirus cases

webfact

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

China like Australia and New Zealand has a zero tolerance policy and imposed draconian lockdown measures even when few positive numbers surfaced. These countries shared similar low positive infections. No doubting that they did a good job with this policy.

Better keep up with current affairs.

Australia and NZ are now acknowledging they will have to live with covid.

A child of six could have told them that, especially when delta arrived.

Rioting in Australia over the weekend.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

As COVID surges, Southeast Asia struggles to vaccinate citizens

Shortage of supplies and hesitancy driven by distrust of authorities and China hobble vaccination campaigns in Myanmar, Thailand and Vietnam.

Despite successfully staving off significant COVID-19 outbreaks in 2020, many countries in Southeast Asia are now reckoning with a new surge in infections and deaths, driven by highly contagious variants of the coronavirus.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/8/24/as-covid-surges-southeast-asia-struggles-to-vaccinate-citizens

• Thanks 1

Today there were 226 deaths in #Thailand

120 males & 106 females

Burmese (8), Cambodian (1), Chinese (1) & unknown (1)

1 pregnant woman

Median age is 68 (21 years-98 years)

Most deaths in Bangkok (68)

66% of deaths aged 60+ (in BKK 85%)

2 died at home

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1430047078802022402

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

From the total number of confirmed cases that were found in the past 24 hours:

- 15,226 were found via walk-in tests at medical facilities

- 1,936 via proactive tests at known clusters

- 3 imported cases

https://twitter.com/ThaiEnquirer/status/1430049478753415171

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

Ostland passes over govt bid, will import Lepu test kits for direct sale to public

Ostland Capital Ltd, the company which won the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation’s (GPO) bid for procurement of 8.5 million antigen test kits (ATK) manufactured by Beijing-based Lepu Medical Technology at Bt70 apiece, will pass over the deal with the government and instead import the kits with its partner, World Medical Alliance Ltd.

“Ostland had given Lepu a THB30-million deposit and cannot wait for a government answer on the deal, which is currently on hold,” World Medical Alliance president Siriya Thepcharoen said on Monday.

“We will therefore import the 8.5 million ATK sets by ourselves and will sell these directly to the public at Bt75 per piece, only Bt5 higher than the quoted price,” she said.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40005178

The chairman of Thailand’s Rural Doctor Society (RDS), Dr. Supat Hasuwankit yesterday (Monday) wrote an open letter to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, reminding him of the recent cabinet decision that the 8.5 million rapid antigen test kits (ATK), to be procured by the National Health Security Office (NHSO) through the Government Pharmaceutical Organization, must meet the standards set by the World Health Organization (WHO).

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/rural-doctor-society-insists-atks-being-bought-by-nhso-must-meet-who-standards/

6 minutes ago, anchadian said:

The chairman of Thailand’s Rural Doctor Society (RDS), Dr. Supat Hasuwankit yesterday (Monday) wrote an open letter to Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, reminding him of the recent cabinet decision that the 8.5 million rapid antigen test kits (ATK), to be procured by the National Health Security Office (NHSO) through the Government Pharmaceutical Organization, must meet the standards set by the World Health Organization (WHO).

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/rural-doctor-society-insists-atks-being-bought-by-nhso-must-meet-who-standards/

Not conforming with WHO standards, this open letter to the PM possibly scared him off from processing this purchase of 8.5m antigen test kits.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, GStewart70 said:

Lucky we have Professor Klutch on the board.

When your not posting mindless drivel, you put finger to keyboard to state the obvious.

No <deleted> sherlock, a virus infection curve goes down after it's ripped through the available population.

Now here's the bad news. With the pathetic vaccine procurement and initial snail like roll out it's going to start spreading again as soon as Thailand pokes it's head out of it's shell.

most of the posters here believe the cases will go straight up through october.  just look at the comments in the thread yesterday where a thai doctor claimed the situation would be worse in october than it is now.  they don't seem to pay attention to the curves experienced by most other countries.  it seems so obvious but very few believers for some reason.  and yes, then after a period of time, it comes back again for a repeat.  and likely another repeat. 

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, koratkarlos said:

From Chiang Mai News in English, Ben Svasti Thomson, August 22.  Perhaps a potential shortage of vaccine may be the cause of these cancellations.  I am not sure.  But clearly not a good sign.

image.png.3e947103daa54d149c7e02cf6d91d74d.png

Most reports I have seen with what's currently on hand indicated that this next week would be when the supplies of Vaccines on hand would be gone with the way they have been vaccinating folks.  Hopefully the anticipated vaccines from AZ and then of course the 12 million ordered from Sinovac arrive so that those of us scheduled for our second vaccinations coming up in September do not get left by the wayside....

• Like 2

The Cabinet has approved the Interior Ministry’s proposal to transfer Samut Sakhon governor Verasak Vichitsangsri to serve as governor in Ang Thong, his home province. He earlier tendered a resignation letter, citing poor health but his resignation was rejected.

@TNAMCOT

https://twitter.com/TNAMCOTEnglish/status/1430061303582707712

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, buick said:

most of the posters here believe the cases will go straight up through october.  just look at the comments in the thread yesterday where a thai doctor claimed the situation would be worse in october than it is now.  they don't seem to pay attention to the curves experienced by most other countries.  it seems so obvious but very few believers for some reason.  and yes, then after a period of time, it comes back again for a repeat.  and likely another repeat. 

I don’t believe they’ll go straight up through Oct, I also see no other posters saying this, can you show an example?

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, koratkarlos said:

From Chiang Mai News in English, Ben Svasti Thomson, August 22.  Perhaps a potential shortage of vaccine may be the cause of these cancellations.  I am not sure.  But clearly not a good sign.

Confusing given that claim of 573,446 vaccinations administered yesterday. 

1 hour ago, anchadian said:

National Vaccination Rollout:

DAY 72: 518,118

DAY 73: 548,311

DAY 74: 651,606

DAY 75: 609,435

DAY 76: 404,078 <— Saturday

DAY 77: 206,820 <— Sunday

DAY 78: 573,446

TOTAL: 27,612,445 doses since 28 February

8.4% of the population is fully vaccinated

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1430050701988663302

Almost certainly fake numbers.

• Haha 1

Did a search for Ostland Capital and couldn't find a website but it has only B5m in registered capital which is probably not fully paid up.  So basically a shell company that has no experience and cannot be sued for non-performance because it has no capital or assets.  Not the kind of company allowed to compete in government tenders in rule of law jurisdictions.

Edited by Dogmatix

Pfizer's full approval by the FDA should open the way for it to sell direct direct to the private sector bypassing crocked governments in third world countries. Moderna is was only a couple of weeks behind Pfizer in filing for full approval. The Thai government likes its import monopoly and will probably try to hang on to it by delaying full approval by the worthless Thai FDA.  But ultimately they will not be able to control the imports just like any other vaccines and their idea of Pfizer for them and tiny quantities of Moderna distributed to private hospitals on a lottery system will fall apart, if supplies ramp up and vaccine need persists.  Maybe Dr Boon will eventually get his order of Pfizer after all.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Most reports I have seen with what's currently on hand indicated that this next week would be when the supplies of Vaccines on hand would be gone with the way they have been vaccinating folks.  Hopefully the anticipated vaccines from AZ and then of course the 12 million ordered from Sinovac arrive so that those of us scheduled for our second vaccinations coming up in September do not get left by the wayside....

Can you post  a link to any of those reports you have seen that say that? 

Many thanks 

5 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Excuse me for my self interest here but my daughter is in grade 6 and she's pretty cluey. I want her to be in the number 1 high school in the province next year. Getting into this school is not easy. As it is she's in a private school which for me is pretty expensive with high student/teacher ratios and the online teaching is well under par.  I don't know how this is going to play out but her future may be on the line.

I'm sorry to disagree with you here  about first grade setting up the builing blocks for all future learning. This should already be in place with early years learning and then built open. I understand where you are coming from though.  I agree with the rest of what you say. Definitely not trying to be argumentative for the sake of self satisfaction like the minority of posters on here.

I see your point, in a way it’s the same with my daughter, she’s 13 and in an international school here with fee’s that are more expensive than a UK University. Even with that the online learning experience is nowhere near enough and she has fallen behind in most tests including her Cambridge assessments.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1