Thailand red list: British tourists face huge costs in dash back to UK to beat hotel quarantine

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Traveller says she will stay on in holiday hotspot because quarantine will ‘bankrupt’ her and sorting flight before Monday deadline is ‘almost impossible’

Stupid cow, shouldn't have travelled if 2000 quid will bankrupt her. 

I arrived here with 1000 pounds in travellers checks nearly 30 years ago, and still here. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Stupid cow, shouldn't have travelled if 2000 quid will bankrupt her. 

I arrived here with 1000 pounds in travellers checks nearly 30 years ago, and still here. 

I arrived in 96 with about 5 grand US. That soon became worth almost nothing whrn the baht crashed. Probably shouldnt have put it in the bank.  I have been living, working and travelling in asia since with thailand as my base.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

The insanity of the British Gov't is immeasurable. 35,000 cases PER DAY, all of which can home quarantine, with little control. Yet, a double vaccinated, negative tested, returning British National cannot home quarantine. How mad is that. No wonder the country is in such a mess.

It is possible to get infected between the test and arrival in the UK. Home quarantine arrivals are not controlled at the UK airport in any way and are free to use public transport to get to their homes. They are permitted to go outside for posting compulsory PCR tests to the lab and the temptation is there to pop into the local Tesco. Get away with it then and they do it again.

I played it by the book until my 5 day test to release but with no checks I'm sure there are many that don't. The Government knows this, hence the hotel quarantine for red list arrivals.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, n00dle said:

Arent we making some assumptions here!

I have suppprted myself and earned my way since my late teens. I have been travelling since I was 25. No saftey net, just me.

Your remarks date you as clearly as the other posters.

People can and do earn money in ways it seems you cannot conceive.  

All this nonsense about trust funds and silver spoons just shows how frighteningly narrow your perception of life for the younger generations is.

In do respect my elders, the ones who deserve respect. I have little patience for myopic internet bigots who refuse to accept that their way of looking at things is the only.

Who is clueless here, really?

I believe you.

1 minute ago, n00dle said:

I arrived in 96 with about 5 grand US. That soon became worth almost nothing whrn the baht crashed. Probably shouldnt have put it in the bank.  I have been living, working and travelling in asia since with thailand as my base.

I never noticed any change  when the baht crashed. Were you sending dollars abroad or something? 

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Yes I left Thailand because I couldn't afford the insurance. I did the right thing because I was taking responsibility for myself.

I didn't stay on in Thailand, though I could have, and when I needed hospital treatment for something serious started a go fund me thing so other people could give me money.

Unfortunately you, unlike the subject of this thread, ran out of funds.

end quote

What on earth are you talking about? The subjects of the thread don't have enough money to pay quarantine in the UK, or did you miss that?

Where does it state that they don't have enough money to pay for quarantine? Again, this is all about you and nothing to do with the couple in the article.

The choice in the article is to pay £3k to get back home or to stay put and perhaps look at alternatives.

She doesn't want to spend £3k and stay in lock-up. They clearly have funds and they have not even finished their holiday. Still more than two weeks to run.

There is no GoFundMe linked, but yet you have mentioned it as if they have.

It really sounds like bitter apples, from someone who is losing out and unhappy, who is upset at people possibly being happy. She sounds a happy one. Difficult situation but will stay put and try to make the best of it. What's wrong with that? She has not asked for anyone's sympathy that I have seen.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I never noticed any change  when the baht crashed. Were you sending dollars abroad or something? 

I didnt experience any real hardship, my baht spending power was unchanged.

However,  had I not deposited the money and converted it into thai currency it would have been worth considersbly more in baht terms.

As it happened after a few great months at the beach, I got a job with a local company, got a bank account and deposited the funds that were under my mattress -- a few months later things went tits up.

Edited by n00dle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Wow... The article did say that she travelled to meet family; parents and younger brother.

Then some special comment of her needing £5k in back up funds on top of her travelling funds. Really? Which one of you graduated university with £10k in your bank account? If you had £10k then from where did you get it? 

Working whilst at uni? So it looks as if she worked to save money and travelled after graduating, to see family that she had not seen for two years.

But yet, the bitter and twisted comments came flying. Any perceived chink in the armour is attacked with both hands.

She should NOT visit family. She should NOT enjoy a holiday after study, work, saving. She should have 20/20 vision and be perfect; otherwise the pundits on this forum will savage her like wild dogs.

Way to go guys; you are making us proud.

The facts ;

The traffic light system was clear enough .

Thailand was a major contender for status red , many of us were surprised it didn't go red during the last review.

Anybody from the UK travelling to a borderline amber/ red destination was gambling.

In your view do losing gamblers deserve sympathy ?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bruno123 said:

PCR test and result? How long? Ready tonight?

if want it, could do it..... until evening 

and even you could fly any of the next days weeks.... go for example tuekey enjoy the nice weather and the beach and fly with   a 99 usd ticket anywhere to england . only pcr test needed here

cheap hotels  start 10 usd  and cheap food, for those no money  

palm treest are free to look

before i would go to quarantaene i would look any way to go away, where they not look me

even i would never never go thai under this condition,even have apartment and girlfriend there, and even never more as a tourist

28 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Well said. I went from school to a real job, working 84 hours a week. I never had an overseas holiday till I was in my thirties

Don't expect me to have sympathy for privileged youths that think it's OK to go on exotic holidays when millions are losing their life savings, due to lockdowns.

Try telling that to the young people today ......... and they won't believe you! ????

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Never went to university.

Never been stranded in a foreign country during a pandemic either.

By the time I was their age I was out of the Army and working out in the North Sea as a roughneck on an oil platform. Probably where I learned the life skills not to eff up, as it would have had actual consequences, not just to my bank account. My experiences working on six continents could fill a book, but we've really not got time for that here.

Not having rich parents to bail me out and a sense of total self-entitlement probably also helped.

Exactly as imagined. That you want people to suffer in the same way that you did. 

Rich parents? Self entitlement? I don't see any self-entitlement in the news article with regard to the couple. Do you?

This is my point. There is none of that in the article, yet certain characters are carrying on as if there is. 

That's why I say it says more about the person commenting than the story itself. They are putting their own spin on the story and then using that to vent about their own unhappy lives.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Don't bleat and whinge when you are a victim of your poor choices, inadequate risk management and lack of funds then.

I fail to see any bleating except from posters much like yourself.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, lapamita said:

just 3 week ago   pcr test was 2 hours but depending on the hospital..maybe you need ask 3 dif places

she makes the test on the day when she fly

I don't believe you.

Even Bangkok Hospital take a whole day. You arrive at 8.30am and you can get the result at 5pm.

https://phuketinternationalhospital.com/en/packages/covid-19-test/

Everyone thinks they know better....

1 hour ago, IamNoone88 said:

You missed the point 35,000 infected UK citizens per day can home quarantine. A returning citizen, infected or not, is restricted to a hotel.

are those 35000 vaccinated or not? pretty sure a lot of them are.

Just now, Mr Meeseeks said:

I didn't suffer.

Someone living through the siege of Stalingrad suffered. An orphan send to a Victorian poorhouse suffered. A US Marine that was captured by the Viet Cong at Khe Sanh and sent to the Hanoi Hilton suffered.

And neither have this couple suffered, and that's my point.

This young couple are busy whinging about a minor inconvenience, which is entirely of their own making, and in this case based on their poor decision and lack of funds to bail them out of predicament that poor decision making led them into.

Once again I ask you to point out even a single sentence from them that looks like whinging/bleating/complaining.. They have in fact explained their reasoning for staying put.

How have you come to the conclusion that they are whinging and bleating?

With respect; it sounds as if you are describing your own behaviour.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Maybe you should try being less obtuse and read the article in the original post then.

Actually, I just did. Again.

It seems to me they explain that while they could afford it the logisitics of making it home in time are highly unlikely. 

The have decided to stay in the hopes the situation changes.

I also noted that the woman had a job waiting for her, if she could find a solution.

Does obtuse mean failing to read into an article something that isnt there?

Have a lovely day folks, i have better things to do.

My sliver spoon wont polish itself, and my trust fund is looking a little full.

Edited by n00dle