Latest Covid Poll: Thais want good vaccine, slam "dishonest" government, praise their own resilience

webfact

20 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Unfortunately, the way they rigged it, that 90.64% even if they voted against them would not remove them !

Yep  The silent vote day that no one knew about  hence we have The Junta as we know it today The Thai Government... 

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Top priority from now as specified by 84.12% of respondents was the need for good quality vaccine so that 100% of the people could get a jab.

Just do it.

They need order 200 million doses of Moderna and 100 million doses of pfeizer.

If you don't order it'll never come.

This piecemeal way and relying on handouts is getting old.

Theres going to be another wave and all those people vaccinated with Sinopharm and Sinovac will be vulnerable.

due it the quickly waning process more evident in the Chinese vaccines.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, malibukid said:

Sinovac was a money grab by certain interest.  even the maids at my condo know this and will not go near it.  the word is out.  American vaccine "good"

And how do you prove the American vaccine is good. Its all propaganda from the US. Show me an article from China that says anything bad about Western produced vaccines? 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

typical emotional illogical thai poll response. 28% said govt was of “any help”.

no fan but without thai govt. work, might have been zero covid vax here so far……

Seeing as all vaccines donated had to go through the government that isn't as good as it sounds. The private health sector had arranged for 80,000,000 vaccines to be delivered to Thailand over the course of a year, but the government blocked it.

Plus The governor of Bangkok has already stated ' all restaurants can open with-out restrictions and schools if they wish to open, can. On Wednesday , 1st of September, 2021.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

90.64% cited the dishonest failures of the Thai government in coping with the pandemic, playing politics  and being hopeless in solving corruption issues. 

This is the result of supporting coups and then subsequently voting for military-led administrations.

No-one to blame but themselves.

Thailand and its people will have to learn the hard way, and through their mistakes.

Going to take some time though, in terms of political maturity, they are still somewhere around where England was in the 14th century.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

A friend of mine heard through the grapevine that a hospital in Siracha was giving out Pfizer jabs. He made an appointment, but his Thai GF could not. This seems anything BUT fair.

Thais get the Sinovac, their government's choice of vaccine for the people. The Thai government did not order Pfizer for the locals.

Expats get Pfizer thanks to the generosity and philanthropy of their governments, who donated millions of doses on the proviso that a percentage were given to higher risk foreigners living in Thailand.

Seems very fair to me.

1 minute ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Thais get the Sinovac, their government's choice of vaccine for the people. The Thai government did not order Pfizer for the locals.

Expats get Pfizer thanks to the generosity and philanthropy of their governments, who donated millions of doses on the proviso that a percentage were given to higher risk foreigners living in Thailand.

Seems very fair to me.

Wouldn't the best approach be to get everyone the desired Pfizer regardless of nationality? The majority of Thai's, whether right or wrong, don't want to take the Sinovac.

• Like 2

A real poll would likely show numbers closer to 98% disapproval. There is no leadership here. Remember the junk about the Covid Czar? Huh? What happened Prayuth? Did you lose interest? Could not keep that small mind of yours focused? Not enough fun or profit for you? You continue with your daily lies, and you are at a stage where nobody in this nation, other than some of the generals and cabinet ministers take you seriously anymore. You have undermined your own credibility time and time again, with bad information, fake news, broken promises, and terrible leadership. Do you even know what the definition of leadership is? 

True leaders really are in the service of their people. True leaders act with integrity and in doing so they establish trust. True leaders genuinely value their people and in doing so they create loyalty. True leaders are in the business of assisting people to realize their full potential, and in doing so they inspire excellence. Nobody can demand respect, loyalty or trust, like you constantly do. These things have to be earned. There are no short cuts, no way to cheat the process. Great leaders have integrity and truly value their people. And you do not inspire confidence, as you have never had any follow up in your weak game, you are highly insincere, and grossly incompetent and under qualified for the job. One would think after 7 plus years you have had time to learn. That does not appear to be the case. Prayuth, you are a terrible leader. 

So, if you were a man of integrity, the man you led the nation to believe you were, when you seized power 7 long years ago, you would resign tomorrow. You will get kicked out sooner or later anyway. Why not just accept the inevitable? You are not the PM for life, that you think you are. 

WireAP_f2d5e865bde74bae9daa81a5434caea9_16x9_992.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Unfortunately, the way they rigged it, that 90.64% even if they voted against them would not remove them !

Right, but it also shows that the Thai almost fully see thru it. That's a good thing for starters.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Wouldn't the best approach be to get everyone the desired Pfizer regardless of nationality? The majority of Thai's, whether right or wrong, don't want to take the Sinovac.

Why? The Sinovac is what the government ordered from Thai nationals and if you recall, Thais were given priority over foreigners from the beginning. 

Until the stipulation that foreigners should receive vaccines from the donations, foreigners may yet have been receiving no vaccines at all!

The Thai government has the discretion to distribute the donation of Pfizer as they see fit, with the exception of the agreed upon amount to go to higher risk foreigners. They have decided to distribute them to Thai front line medical personnel.

I don't see how it is unfair in any way, shape or form.

I am not a Professor of Statistics but if the poll size is 1510, the percentages shown in the article are as follows and equate to the following number of people:

84.12%     =     1,270.212

67.44%     =     1,018.344    

63.64%     =       960.964

90.64%     =     1,368.664

68.39%     =     1,032.689

53.80%     =       812.380

27.96%     =       422.196

25.04%     =       378.104

Maybe they should have used their normal sample size of 55555555.

I wish people would get to realise that 1,500 people is all it rakes in a poll. It is the optimum number and provides an error margin of 2.5%. Mathematically it's known as the 'confidence interval'.

The only fly in the ointment, Thaiwise, is that the survey needs to represent a random selection of the population. This is generally done by random computer selected phone calls but, in this country, undoubtedly it'll be done by a junior government geek with a clip board in the nearest and easiest shopping mall.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The margin of error in a sample = 1 divided by the square root of the number of people in the sample

How did someone come up with that formula? Like most formulas in statistics, this one can trace its roots back to pathetic gamblers who were so desperate to hit the jackpot that they'd even stoop to mathematics for an "edge." If you really want to know the gory details, the formula is derived from the standard deviation of the proportion of times that a researcher gets a sample "right," given a whole bunch of samples.

Which is mathematical jargon for..."Trust me. It works, okay?"

So a sample of just 1,600 people gives you a margin of error of 2.5 percent, which is pretty darn good for a poll.

------------------   https://www.robertniles.com/stats/margin.shtml   ---------------------------------------

Also . . . . --------    https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/howcan-a-poll-of-only-100/

Edited by robsamui

Exactly Eric, yet we have members here getting away with complete lies & nonsense, which should be reported & deleted as false information, as forum rules, like saying certain vaccines are “cr*p” or “vitamin C” or “sub- standard” or citing “maids” (lowest-level gossip ! ) as “the word”, i.e. reliable sources of truth. THEN these fools are getting high numbers of “likes” for such moronic rubbish from other misguided idiots…….

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 8/30/2021 at 8:31 AM, connda said:

Well, they'd just point out what I'm going to point out:  It's a stretch to believe a sample size of 1510 people is representative of the nation as a whole.  Personally I don't put much stock in polls.

Yes, I agree with you entirely. (However, when the result is on a subject we support we do tend to believe them more than on subjects we don't support!)

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 2:00 PM, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

typical emotional illogical thai poll response. 28% said govt was of “any help”.

no fan but without thai govt. work, might have been zero covid vax here so far……

Useless government.

Impeded and still impeding imports of quality vaccines.

2 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

Exactly Eric, yet we have members here getting away with complete lies & nonsense, which should be reported & deleted as false information, as forum rules, like saying certain vaccines are “cr*p” or “vitamin C” or “sub- standard” or citing “maids” (lowest-level gossip ! ) as “the word”, i.e. reliable sources of truth. THEN these fools are getting high numbers of “likes” for such moronic rubbish from other misguided idiots…….

Fan boy of Anutin and the corrupt government.

Misguided love!

• Haha 1

Fanboy of FACTS, Logic & Reason. Near zero interest in thai politics. No expectations here…..

ALL Vax is useful, to a degree, yes we know Sinovac is nowhere near as effective as AZ etc. with Delta but it is not “useless” or “ cr*p” and nor is the thai govt. which incredibly is being judged by advanced democracy ( thailand is neither) governance standards by “expats” expecting western “ perfection” here ! just be grateful for what the thai govt. & culture & people do provide to their foreign guests… or clear off…..

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

Fan boy of Anutin and the corrupt government.

Misguided love!

Cognitive intelligence is the ability of human brain to digest information and form intelligence and meaningful rebuttal. Anutin and the corrupt government are total craps and vaccines are not. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Cognitive intelligence is the ability of human brain to digest information and form intelligence and meaningful rebuttal. Anutin and the corrupt government are total craps and vaccines are not. 

What vaccines?

Usual drivel.

Sometimes I wonder if you're fully cognitive when you write your diatribe.

Edited by MrJ2U

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

Useless government.

Impeded and still impeding imports of quality vaccines.

So all of a sudden we are all vaccine experts . Sinovac is the preferred vaccine in Asia . Could it be that the cost is an influence ? probably as one dose of sinovac in Thailand is around $ 4-5 as opposed to Pfizer at near on $38 and sinovac can be stored in a normal fridge where as Pfizer has to be within an urn of liquid nitrogen  . Now knowing that money is number one in Thailand , could there be a link ?

If you Google the sinovac vaccine there are medical studies that give it credence and this may be the way to vaccinate many of the poorer nations especially taking into account the costs . I too was a sceptic of sinovac until I took the time to Google it .

On 8/30/2021 at 3:31 AM, connda said:

It's a stretch to believe a sample size of 1510 people is representative of the nation as a whole.

The science says otherwise. See, for instance the article titled "How can a poll of only 1,004 Americans represent 260 million people with only a 3 percent margin of error?" from Scientific American. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/howcan-a-poll-of-only-100/  Or google 

poll size and population

for less technical explanations.

Of course the fine point here is the people being polled. The quoted accuracy depends on the pollees being selected truly at random. To attack a poll, sample selection is the place to start (see the polls saying Dewey would defeat Truman in 1948) . Or one can question how likely it is that the sampled people answered honestly (see the polls in the recent US presidential election).

Hey Spidersmike?  The Egypt leader got a quick retirement several years ago.  It seems that in some parts

of the world, that is the only way the country gets a new leader. I do hope that the Thai population can 

get another election, that is monitored by the world for fairness and honesty.  That is how much I trust the

present Military government.

Geezer

15 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Glad they mentioned that clown, but 24.04% is way to high for that clown.

That's a fair percentage that would reflect the overall population, I just don't get the corruption part, Big Boss, Joe Ferrari, there innocent and Jo should be acquitted soon, let's not forget, the Junta along with their buddies has a reputation to uphold.

What is the gov't thinking - allowing independent polls critical of the gov't, and then allowing the numbers to be published??? I thought the junta would have closed this freedom loophole long ago!!! Not smart at all for a gov't that wants to retain power at all cost, this makes the people's resentment official and warranted, AND gives the protesters movement validation. Hmmm, Prayut better check the tanks to make sure they're ready to roll in the streets again...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, superal said:

No need to be disrespectful . Please supply us with your proof of (Chinese vaccines are not very good) 

Well, to start, neither has been approved by the World Health Organization.  

If that organization - which is a Chinese lapdog - doesn't approve their vaccines then it doesn't say much for the quality.

Further, I'm not sure why anyone needs to provide "proof" to you of anything.  You presumably have google like everyone else.  

But here, let me help you:

"“We will solve the issue that current vaccines don’t have very high protection rates,” Gao said in a presentation on Chinese COVID-19 vaccines and immunization strategies at a conference in the southwestern city of Chengdu. “It’s now under consideration whether we should use different vaccines from different technical lines for the immunization process.”

https://apnews.com/article/china-gao-<deleted>-vaccines-offer-low-protection-coronavirus-675bcb6b5710c7329823148ffbff6ef9

So, you see, even the Chinese think their own vaccines suck.

Edited by TheAppletons
  • Haha 1