Why people so selfish?

Sparktrader

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Be kind   -   for who .

Tip people -  i'm tired of tipping thieves and liars and cheats

Give compliments  -   what to a stupid 7-11 cashier who can't ad up 2 + 2 without a calculator

Drive safe -    with these road maniacs'

Help people -   and get stabbed or shot in the process 

I see you hate Thailand. Go home then.

42 minutes ago, Stocky said:

No, you take them home. That's what I've done with mine and because they've lost out on a trip to a restaurant and a day at the beach in my case, they've thought twice on future occasions, and a single warning is all it takes.

That's not going to work with a 4 year old unfortunately. They don't do reflective reasoning.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

Young American (cocky and loud by all accounts) asked on a cruise ship not to smoke in the non-smoking area by a Thai waiter.

He told the waiter to F off in front of all the other travelers. He would smoke wherever he wanted.

Once the American fell asleep the Thai waiter slit his throat and the American bled to death on his sun lounger.

True story from, at a guess, 10 years ago.

Harsh lesson in etiquette .

At least he died peacefully in his sleep.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Young American (cocky and loud by all accounts) asked on a cruise ship not to smoke in the non-smoking area by a Thai waiter.

He told the waiter to F off in front of all the other travelers. He would smoke wherever he wanted.

Once the American fell asleep the Thai waiter slit his throat and the American bled to death on his sun lounger.

International waters did he get tried for murder?

3 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

Sounds like him except that he's still alive.... The Thai owner complained to me that she can't stand the smell of the cigarettes but she was too scared to tell him off.

1 minute ago, EricTh said:

Sounds like him except that he's still alive.... The Thai owner complained to me that she can't stand the smell of the cigarettes but she was too scared to tell him off.

I can understand her concern. How intensely annoying. You have to ponder....what goes through their minds?

13 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Thailand is ok ....  it's just the uneducated folks that were born here ....  lol

but having said that,  some I've met through working here and associating with friends, I have found them to be great & extremely experienced and educated ....  and understand what is right from wrong.  So it's not all like that. 

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

but having said that,  some I've met through working here and associating with friends, I have found them to be great & extremely experienced and educated ....  and understand what is right from wrong.  So it's not all like that. 

Come the crunch people are the same the world over from kind and considerate to rude and ignorant.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

That's not going to work with a 4 year old unfortunately. They don't do reflective reasoning.

I beg to differ but I know it worked with mine. Some parents are better at parenting than others. Modern thinking is "oh let them play", <deleted> anybody else.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, supersomchai said:

If everyone was selfish %100 of the time the world would collapse in total anarchy.

Its in our own interests to cooperate

……as much as we can!

I can agree. It is only the restrictions of combined legal limits and indignant expectations to be provided an egalitarian opportunity to become as selfish as the tall poppies that keeps it all relatively together.

Politically contrived militarist activities involving national distraction to satisfy the inherent human desire to attain superiority can be considered the historical and selfish compensation  and thereby the illusion of  social cooperation.

There is always this test of social tolerance that is not so difficult to divert the focus of to another issue if the preceding one becomes overly sensitive to and in the interests of those who currently dictate the script of the power play.

And so we are supposed to be horrified  at the loss of life in multiple politically  motivated wars but are groomed to accept grossly larger loss of life to starvation and diseases often brought about said wars. Damn right people are selfish  because they are encouraged to be so while expressing  false sympathies even while not realizing that they are as deserving of real sympathy for being seduced into the game of it. Is there another species on this planet that demonstrates a greater degree of selfish self destruction ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sparktrader said:

Give me 33% of your money please

And set a silly precedent for all on this forum?

I said in an important relationship - I am not sure you and I qualify

I thought it was a serious question you posed

51 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I beg to differ but I know it worked with mine. Some parents are better at parenting than others. Modern thinking is "oh let them play", <deleted> anybody else.

Yes, I'm sure your 4 year old sat down and had a hard think about what he had done after you cancelled his dinner outing. Then he came to you politely said "Oh Mummy I will never behave that badly again".

Sounds totally believable.

I don't know why people make up stuff on the internet. Four year olds  don't do reflective reasoning at that level. Two year olds are on the level of a chimpanzee. If you seriously want me to believe that your four year old did what you claim, I'm sorry, I'm not buying.

On 8/30/2021 at 5:05 PM, Will B Good said:

Playing loud music, smoking in non-smoking areas, talking loudly in public, disobeying simple rules for the common good......I find many people are totally inconsiderate of others.

The most frustrating ones are the people who defend the above and say it is their right to do what they want to do.....the very definition of selfishness.

"Don't sweat the small 5hit" is good advice.

5 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

"Don't sweat the small 5hit" is good advice.

It isn't small 5hit.....and ignoring it is not an option for many people, who suffer as a consequence.

Loud music in a condo is a case in point........totally unnecessary and totally unacceptable in any circumstances

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

It isn't small 5hit.....and ignoring it is not an option for many people, who suffer as a consequence.

Loud music in a condo is a case in point........totally unnecessary and totally unacceptable in any circumstances

If you don't think that it is small stuff, I'd hate to know what you would think, or do if something serious actually happens.

You seem like you've lived a bit of a sheltered life with your attitude.