Why people so selfish?

Sparktrader

2 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

If you don't think that it is small stuff, I'd hate to know what you would think, or do if something serious actually happens.

You seem like you've lived a bit of a sheltered life with your attitude.

And you sound like the selfish, couldn't give a damn about anybody else, person that this thread is discussing.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

It isn't small 5hit.....and ignoring it is not an option for many people, who suffer as a consequence.

Loud music in a condo is a case in point........totally unnecessary and totally unacceptable in any circumstances

It's actually not "totally unacceptable".

Most civilised Western countries tolerate loud music from 10 am to 10 pm. It's only after that threshold that it would be seen as a problem and you could get any Western authorities to do something about it. Unless the music were so loud as to significantly impair reasonable enjoyment of your residence.

Otherwise you'd have to accept the music from 10 am to 10 pm in most Western countries.

3 hours ago, Tanomazu said:

Why would one hire a babysitter if one goes to a movie to see a Tom and Jerry movie? You go to the movie for the kid in the first place. If they're at home with the babysitter they can't watch the movie, can they?

I'm well aware whose responsibility children are and I never said they are the "responsibility" of the public.  However when children make noise generally the public has to suck it up. Children are the greater good, and parents take it upon themselves to produce the future doctors and taxpayers so single people can go to hospital and drive on the roads.

That's why the law allows children to make noise. Try and sue about it. You will lose. Every time.

What a crock! It’s a parents responsibility to teach and raise kids that have a chance when they go out into the real world!

A parent that allows their kids to run wild is just a lazy parent! The easiest thing in the world to be is a lazy parent….

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

You guys are a bit selfish , how about the people that don't use fakebook ?? 

No ones being selfish! If you can’t navigate Facebook or other simple sites you’re missing a lot!

You made the choice….live with it

(besides you don’t need to be a FB member to open the site????

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

Be kind   -   for who .

Tip people -  i'm tired of tipping thieves and liars and cheats

Give compliments  -   what to a stupid 7-11 cashier who can't ad up 2 + 2 without a calculator

Drive safe -    with these road maniacs'

Help people -   and get stabbed or shot in the process 

Wow I’d hate to wake up tomorrow morning and be you all day????

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, Kanada said:

What a crock! It’s a parents responsibility to teach and raise kids that have a chance when they go out into the real world!

A parent that allows their kids to run wild is just a lazy parent! The easiest thing in the world to be is a lazy parent….

Three and four year olds will run wild. Nothing you can do about it.

Just suck it up.

How do you teach a human infant of 2,3 or 4 years old who can't even speak your language, reason and generally has the mental capacity of full grown chimpanzee? Don't be ridiculous.

There are no lazy parents. Only selfish simpletons and singletons.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Tanomazu said:

I'm sorry, I'm not buying.

I'm not asking you to. Whether you believe what I'm telling you is up to you. But I don't accept parents should let their children run wild, if you can't control your children you take them home be it a restaurant, play ground, cinema or wherever. It respects the rights of others to enjoy themselves without disturbance and the child learns that bad behaviour means they lose out. This is reinforced by elder siblings whose outing has also been ruined. 

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

You know what I consider to be a selfish person? One with children (or dogs) who do not behave, and let them run around and terrorize the neighborhood, a movie theatre, a restaurant, or anyone around them. And when you say something to them, they reply with something inane like "they are four year old children. How am I supposed to control them, or keep them quiet?"

My response? So, who is the parent, and who is the child, in this equation? Gets them every time. Food for thought for lousy parents with rowdy kids. 

I gave this comment a like… 

While there is an element of ‘anti-children’ to the comment there is a fundamental correctness to it. 

There are times & places for kids to go nuts & have fun, there are times & places for kids to behave. 

The ‘kids on flights’ thread always brings out the haters who unfortunately tar all parents & children with the same brush.

As a parent I’m conscious of my (our) surroundings… you won’t hear or notice my son on a *flight, you won’t hear or him in a restaurant, apart from the giggles and talking as we enjoyed our dinner & company. 
(*except once as a baby on a flight when it took 15 mins to get him settled) 

I think most kids & parents are the same, considerate. 

As with all issues of a similar flavor, the minority are noticeable, the majority are great, they get on with life and think of their surroundings. 

Of course, we also have the consummate complainers without any level of tolerance…  some people can never be happy. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I'm not asking you to. Whether you believe what I'm telling you is up to you. But I don't accept parents should let their children run wild, if you can't control your children you take them home be it a restaurant, play ground, cinema or wherever. It respects the rights of others to enjoy themselves without disturbance and the child learns that bad behaviour means they lose out. This is reinforced by elder siblings whose outing has also been ruined. 

Yes, you were asking people to believe that you told a 4 year old year old that his dinner and beach outings were cancelled because of their bad behaviour and that they then dutifully behaved properly because they reasoned that their bad behaviour had led them to miss out. You're obviously talking nonsense which is completely made up. Or if it did happen your kid was obviously older than 4 years old. Probably more like 10, if indeed that story ever did happen, which I massively doubt.

We're talking about 4 year olds. They simply do not have that reflective thinking that you claim they do.

What you accept or not, is frankly completely irrelevant. If a 4 year old makes some noise in a cinema show for 11 year olds you'll just have to live with it.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Kanada said:

Quite agree. I had the most wonderful caring parents, we were 4 kids, but we knew how to behave outside the home, and when , rarely, ( on holidays) we were taken to restaurants or other peoples houses, we behaved !  I’ve been in the hospitality business all my life, and memories of parents letting the kids run through the restaurant and throwing food and drinks on the floor , spoiling other guests dinner and stressing out everyone , are painful. Who wants their evening spoiled ? Many now refuse children under a certain age, and quite right too. I’ll never forget a family gathering with 3 prams  ( we were not told!) who ignored the older children taking things off neighboring tables. I won’t tell you what they did in our toilets/ rest rooms. When asked to keep things a bit quieter, I was rudely insulted as a child hater ! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, geisha said:

Quite agree. I had the most wonderful caring parents, we were 4 kids, but we knew how to behave outside the home, and when , rarely, ( on holidays) we were taken to restaurants or other peoples houses, we behaved !  I’ve been in the hospitality business all my life, and memories of parents letting the kids run through the restaurant and throwing food and drinks on the floor , spoiling other guests dinner and stressing out everyone , are painful. Who wants their evening spoiled ? Many now refuse children under a certain age, and quite right too. I’ll never forget a family gathering with 3 prams  ( we were not told!) who ignored the older children taking things off neighboring tables. I won’t tell you what they did in our toilets/ rest rooms. When asked to keep things a bit quieter, I was rudely insulted as a child hater ! 

Perfectly understandable, people have had enough of small minded child haters trying to impose their meaningless notions on them.

I would have probably been even more forceful and you would have had even less quiet.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Wrong..  2-3-4 year olds can be taught time & place.

There is also a time & a place to teach them that. 

I’m not going to take a 3 year old to a fancy restaurant, but we can always go to a regular place & if they are pushing the boundaries a ‘naughty / thinking step / spot’ can be found anywhere. 

Kids learn, they adapt, they respond…  

I see it regularly, some parents just let it kids get away with too much.

On the other end of the spectrum are the miserable intolerant misers.

& 99% in between is everyone else. 

Yes, you go up to a 2,3 or 4 year old and tell them to be quiet.

Good luck with your theory there, lol.

It's hard enough to be a parent and for some hyper-sensitive singletons or disciplinarians to go up to a mother and tell her to keep her 2 year old child quiet is absolutely unacceptable.

I just hope I'm approached like that one day, I would just love to set the complainer and whiner straight. Quiet will be the last thing they get.

• Sad 2

On 8/30/2021 at 5:05 PM, Will B Good said:

Playing loud music, smoking in non-smoking areas, talking loudly in public, disobeying simple rules for the common good......I find many people are totally inconsiderate of others.

The most frustrating ones are the people who defend the above and say it is their right to do what they want to do.....the very definition of selfishness.

I find that our locals “shout” rather than merely talk loudly, even when standing next to each other.

18 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

Perfectly understandable, people have had enough of small minded child haters trying to impose their meaningless notions on them.

I would have probably been even more forceful and you would have had even less quiet.

Wow…was that your outside voice????

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Stocky said:

I am not, I suspect you're just a lousy parent if indeed you are one at all.

Maybe, but I did actually go up to a 2 year old and tell them to be quiet. Do you know how successful that approach is? Not very.

They then start to scream louder.

But I'll try to tell them their lunch is cancelled and they can't go to the beach next time they throw a tantrum, I'm sure they'll see the light and change their behaviour. Lol.

Some people and their nonsense really. You can not stop a 2,3 or 4 year old from throwing a tantrum. If that happens, just live with it. Going to the parent and telling them to be quieter will just make it worse. It will if I'm there anyway. I don't suffer fools gladly.

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, richard_smith237 said:

Your irrational response suggests issues…

Most (nearly all) kids are well behaved.

No stranger is ever going to go up to a strangers child and tell their child to keep quiet. What ‘hypothetical plannet’ are you living on ? 

If you are in a situation where a stranger feels compelled to ask your child (or you to ask your child) to keep quiet, you are the issue… either poor parenting or a poor handle on reality.

This of course depends on ‘time & place’… anyone expecting kids to be quiet in a playground etc are just dumb. 

What a crock of nonsense.Two, three and four year old children throw tantrums. They always have and they always will. It's my fault? What are you, a long distance psychiatrist? Lol.

If you tell a 2 year old to be quiet they scream louder. FACT.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

Again I’m the Father of four boys so I have a little experience and I promise you that you only have from 0-13 years or so to “do your job as a parent” and get your kids prepared to go out into the world….after that their friends become the most important people in their worlds!

If you’re a lazy parent they’ll be more than happy to raise themselves…

You’re not their best friends….you’re their parent(s). You have a responsibility to teach them to right from wrong and hopefully instill some common sense that will tide them over until they’re old enough to develop an intuition!

If you think kids that are running wild in restaurants and theatre's without supervision are the CEO’s and Presidents of tomorrow I think you’re wrong!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

You can not stop a 2,3 or 4 year old from throwing a tantrum. If that happens, just live with it. Going to the parent and telling them to be quieter will just make it worse. 

Agree to a certain extent. 

It can’t be stopped when it happens.

But, when it happens how the tantrum is handled has a huge impact on future behavior. 

No one is going to go up to a parent & tell their kid to be quiet. Only a total idiot would do that. 

My son has thrown 2 tantrums at home this past couple of weeks. 
His first for a good 6 months, they change, they develop, they push the boundaries, they learn… 

6 minutes ago, Kanada said:

Again I’m the Father of four boys so I have a little experience and I promise you that you only have from 0-13 years or so to “do your job as a parent” and get your kids prepared to go out into the world….after that their friends become the most important people in their worlds!

If you’re a lazy parent they’ll be more than happy to raise themselves…

You’re not their best friends….you’re their parent(s). You have a responsibility to teach them to right from wrong and hopefully instill some common sense that will tide them over until they’re old enough to develop an intuition!

If you think kids that are running wild in restaurants and theatre's without supervision are the CEO’s and Presidents of tomorrow I think you’re wrong!

Instill common sense in a 2 year old? Do you even hear yourself?

A 2, 3 or 4 year old simply does not know right from wrong because they are too small to understand even what you are saying!

It has nothing to do with lazy parents, it has to do with the cognitive abilities of 2,3 or 4 year old children.

I am guessing your child-rearing days are a long time ago and you've completely forgotten what toddlers are like. And since 1928 there have been significant advances in child psychology. We now know what toddlers are capable of and what not.

If you think you can teach a 2 year old common sense then I'm guessing your'e not a CEO.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Tanomazu said:

What a crock of nonsense.Two, three and four year old children throw tantrums. They always have and they always will. It's my fault? What are you, a long distance psychiatrist? Lol.

If you tell a 2 year old to be quiet they scream louder. FACT.

Tantrum Tanomazu ???

Nature vs nurture… some kids are more ‘determined’ than others… but they can still be taught…. 

In most cases tantrums can be handled, of course there are kids who have some ‘difficulties’ and require special guidance.

For the most part it’s shi^^y parenting that leads to kid who present early signs of spoiled behavior. 

Back on balance 99% of kids are perfectly well behaved. 

• Like 1