COVID-19: Thailand reports 262 more deaths and 14,956 new coronavirus cases

webfact

2021-07-15T153327Z_1_LYNXMPEH6E0X0_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

File photo: REUTERS

Thailand on Thursday (September 2) reported 14,956 new COVID-19 cases, 17,936 recoveries and 262 additional deaths over the past 24 hours.

● 14,956 recoveries

14,600 new infections 

356 prison / prison infections

Thursday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 1,234,487 with 12,103 deaths.

(Total infections since April 1: 1,031,278)

The news comes as Public Health officials will accelerate the vaccination of people aged over 50 as a matter of urgency, after it was discovered that 80% COVID-19 related fatalities were people aged 50 and over, according to the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA).

CCSA Assistant Spokesperson Dr. Apisamai Srirangsan noted that the majority of the deaths were among the elderly and those afflicted by any of seven underlining diseases.

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update2SEP).png

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Sad 2

I just looked back at the past few days stats and noticed that even the recoveries are dropping down instead of increasing.  Kind of strange actually.  I also just watched on the news a story of a 252 kg lady being transported back to her home and it taking almost 8 PPE wearing medical staff to carry her from the Ambulance and up the stairs to her humble abode where she would be doing the rest of her recovery with the medications provided.  Definitely not fully recovered if the staff feels the need to be wearing PPE's still to transport and move her, but then it is a precaution as others in the house may be covid infected and staying home, the story did not expand on that one.  I can say she as an overweight individual is very lucky that Covid did not take her from this earth.

26 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Phuket health authorities are reporting 204 new local cases , two cases from the Sandbox and no deaths. There are now 2,052 patients in care . The #PhuketSandbox has had 85 cases since 1st July #COVID19 #โควิด19 #โควิดวันนี้ #Thailand

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1433221408037867520

I live in Rawai. According to Thaiger, Tambon Rawai now has had a total of 182 cases since the pandemic began, an increase of 64 cases from the day before. So a 50% increase in one day, assuming I read the numbers correctly. 

restrictions are pretty loosely followed here, so I’m not surprised. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

I live in Rawai. According to Thaiger, Tambon Rawai now has had a total of 182 cases since the pandemic began, an increase of 64 cases from the day before. So a 50% increase in one day, assuming I read the numbers correctly. 

But wasn't 70%+ population vaccinated. I assume they refer to two jabs.

STAT 

Vaccination reduces risk of long Covid, even when people are infected, U.K. study indicates

By Andrew Joseph  Sept. 1, 2021

People who are fully vaccinated [with quality vaccines] against Covid-19 appear to have a much lower likelihood of developing long Covid than unvaccinated people even when they contract the coronavirus, a study published Wednesday indicated.

“We found that the odds of having symptoms for 28 days or more after post-vaccination infection were approximately halved by having two vaccine doses,” researchers wrote in the study, published in the journal The Lancet Infectious Diseases. “This result suggests that the risk of long Covid is reduced in individuals who have received double vaccination, when additionally considering the already documented reduced risk of infection overall.”...

https://www.statnews.com/2021/09/01/vaccination-reduces-risk-long-covid-even-when-people-are-infected-study/

• Like 2

It’s interesting to see what is happening in Malaysia at the moment. 55% of the population is fully vaccinated and yet cases are going through the roof (highest they have ever been). What is so different between Malaysia and Thailand? The answer is that one is transparent and telling the truth and the other is lying.

Bear in mind that the Malaysian government was toppled due to their poor handling of Covid. So there may be a reason that this Junta government is lying about the numbers.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

But wasn't 70%+ population vaccinated. I assume they refer to two jabs.

A lot of people have been vaccinated for sure. There seems to be some discrepancy over what percentage. Reports from the central government were that 77% have had two jabs. But on Thaiger today there was a report that it’s 77 percent of the 70 percent target. So a bit different if that is the case.

but in any case, whatever percentage has been vaccinated, there will still be Covid cases. The focal point should be hospitalizations of symptomatic people. If that is manageable, then cases don’t really matter and life can be normal because the lockdown phase should be over and the vaccination phase well advanced.

the caveat is that it’s quite hard to get a clear picture. As evidenced by the governors statement that no quarantine prisoners had escaped, when in fact two had. My confidence that all of the authorities are on the same page with the same information, is quite low.

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

Thats quite a jump in one day was there a cluster on a building site?

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

“The news comes as Public Health officials will accelerate the vaccination of people aged over 50 as a matter of urgency, after it was discovered that 80% COVID-19 related fatalities were people aged 50 and over, according to the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA).”

It’s statements like this that make me wonder whether half the CCSA have been unconscious for the last 12 months. I mean, haven’t they been paying attention?

IMO most of the CCSA Staff have been comatose for more than a Year now.

Vaccinating the over 50,s ! Really !

They have not even managed to Vaccinate the Old and Infirmed yet, and they then prioritize a group that are not urgent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

it was discovered that 80% COVID-19 related fatalities were people aged 50 and over,

That leaves 20% of deaths among the under-50's, which sounds high to me. I guess they were mostly afficionados of the likes of KFC and MacDonalds, and had developed a physique to match, it's so sad to see many Thai children looking like this...

fast-food-in-bangkok.png?w=640

11 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Thats quite a jump in one day was there a cluster on a building site?

I’ve no idea what caused the spike. Phuket doesn’t really publish where clusters are found. I did read that the sea gypsies village had been proactively tested and was found to be clear, but I’m not sure if that is as a result of recent testing or a restatement of the result of proactive tests done a month or so ago. Another sea village in the north had a 40% positive rate and 100 cases, but they aren’t in the Rawai numbers of course.

it’s all rather opaque. Rawai is quite a small area, lots of mixing at the beach and in popular restaurants. Cases could go high very quickly, but then fall very quickly again because the population isn’t very big.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How they switch, manipulate, or change numbers it is still the same about 40% of the tests PCR and ATK are positive. It didn't change from last week.. split it in more like prisons, markets, navy .. but that doesn't change the percentage.. and we all know they don't count numbers, just like the 396 of Prachuap kiri Kan were never seen in the daily reports... It is very dangerous at this moment in Thailand to get Covid infected

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1