Were You Born between 1945 and 1955? If so, then…. Maybe You Understand our World…even more than others.

GammaGlobulin

7 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Last year, a woman I know told me that life was simpler in Thailand, in 1971. No need to worry about much. She stated that there was no need to visit the Seven. Mostly, she enjoyed the vegetables she grew in her garden, and she also had enough leftover vegetables to barter them for rice.

She told me that she wished she could return to those days.

I know that she was sincere.

What about you?

Do you recall those days in Thailand?

(Maybe, this is the understanding of our world that was mentioned in this topic. Maybe, this makes some sense.)

Take her phone and television away, then cut her electricity and make her ride a bike everywhere. And then suddenly there will be a lot of complaining and the  'good old days' get forgotten.

People only seem to remember the stuff they like and conveniently forget the bad bits. Nowadays wall-to-wall advertising tell people what they must have and it is believed by most. Your example of Musk and his nonsense is just that. I think he must have watched The Man who fell to Earth too many times...

• Like 2

Once rocket-building reaches critical mass (an industry all on its own and worth investing in), costs will plummet and the concept will become viable. Then proper colonisation will be able to take place on Mars, and it will become necessary to start terraforming the planet.

Animal dna can be carried in test tubes, it won't need elephants two-by-two, for example, which Noah may have been challenged by (and maybe not, if one believes in the saga of the Annunaki)!

Technological progress such as we have never witnessed before will be the answer. Some of us may be too old to see it, however.

(Btw, I am 76 years old, and far from senile)!

29 minutes ago, 2Amusing said:

"As we increasingly become aware, due to extreme overpopulation and inundating"

Die happily knowing that many are well into a plan called "Depopulation thru vaccinations", including famous names you already know. There are only eight (8) approved languages to be spoken. The rules, written in stone, demand no more than 500 million worldwide. For complete details search for Georgia Guidestones. To identify a few participants just search "Depopulation thru vaccinations", videos.

I'm not going to debate with anyone about this matter, and consider my post here "for informational purposes only". I will conclude that it is too late to stop this process.

I have always been fascinated by the Georgia Guidestones, and have wondered how it would become possible for the earth to be de-populated down to 500 million souls. Would it be famine, or pestilence, a natural, space-born disaster perhaps, or plague? It seems that the worldwide pandeminc, and the vaccine "countermeasures", may indeed be what the Guidestone authors had in mind!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agree, Some apparently are incapable of merely not reading posts from someone they are not appreciative of, and just have to post negatives about them instead of moving on to all those far more interesting and informative threads they prefer. It's like they are unable to not click on the threads.

Perhaps they should discover how to use the ignore function.

To some extent true but I hope our ed will not allow this forum to deteriorate into the mindless sort of SMS that smart phone users tend to involve in, "here is my breakfast" "I am at this restaurant " etc. There are so many more serious topics that would benefit this site, and its users.

29 minutes ago, ThaiFelix said:

Speaking of the younger generation, whatever happened to eating with your mouth closed or saying "John and I".  We were always taught to not put ouselves in front of or above others.  I think "Me and John", apart from being very poor English, is a reflection of the younger set today....selfish.

Even the ancient Romans and Greeks complained about their youth, nothing changes.

• Haha 2

My first visit to Thailand was in 1965, next time 1972 and then move here 1991. When I was 18, I was married had son and working two jobs.  Had 5 children, 4 still alive, sad for a parent to out live their own off spring. Have 3 grandchildren, 5 great grandchildren and one Great Great grandchild. Have travel the world and seen most of it, but not Africa sadly. I grow up in the time when everything was a lot more simpler, and glad I did. Been married to my Thai wife more then forty years. We move here to keep a promise that when I retired I would bring her back home to be with her mother and farther in Bangkok, I kept that promise. How old am I?  

Edited by Dickp

We humans are so ambitious, so we think we can do Mars. Its a challenge.

Maybe we can, technology really exploded in a century.

Same as humans on earth, in my lifetime it almost tripled. Too much, back to 500 million? Maybe.

Weird is with all our technology, we destroy our planet and  try to get away to Mars.

Only one system on this earth is doing so and thats capitalism, meaning we dont care.

Why to Mars? As there is a big rush on it. Probably we are afraid of Yellowstone volcano?  We are not afraid of climate change, CO2, or as wel?

We must do Mars to continu as human species?! 

As professor Stephen Emmott suggest, we should change our species name to Homo Consumerinia instead of Homo Sapiens. Thats a guy who wrote the book 10 billion (The human plague), on which National Geography had a docu movie. It is fiction, but then there is no food and many other things, people roaming and killing to have food and because of that population will finally decline and we can restart again.

In the good old times we had wars and costed many people their lives.

Maybe a good thing? As we would have had already had many more people. Just technically spoken.

If you forbid people to reproduce then you have trouble, if you unleash a virus then it is nature.

Fact is, too many people on this planet and a destroying system.

Flying in space? Saw yesterday docu about Virgin plane, shattering into pieces.

Price then 250 000 $ for an 11 minute space flight. No way Jose, "little" out of budget.

Never the less many bookings.

Think i got a shock when my mom died at 82, jeepers i still have up to 20 years left, then its done.

I was born in 1944 before the year you specified. Was it a better world back when I was a kid? In many ways it was a simpler and easier time. A single parent could work and create enough money for a couple of kids. When I was thirteen, through circumstances I needed to amuse myself for two weeks as the foster parents had already booked their holiday and I had no where to stay. I borrowed a bike and a rucksack, and cycled around England on my own staying at Youth Hostels. It was a wonderful experience I’ve never forgotten. I lived for a while in the Isle of Man, and would go to the TT races on my own as a kid. You couldn’t do these things today.

if you check the BBC World news today online,  there is a wonderful article with pics and old film of the 1950’s in Afghanistan shot by an American who worked and lived there for seven years. It was definitely the good old days compared to the Taliban nightmare today. So yes, some places it was a lot better. Also remember around 1960 there were 3 billion people on the planet, and now there is over 7 billion…..this is not an improvement with the congested traffic around the world, and congested cities. Is our electronic world an improvement? The jury is out on that one. The biggest improvement has been in healthcare, and still improving every day. The solution is just to enjoy it all, mainly because we are only here for a short time, usually less than a hundred years….just a blink in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 1

On 9/3/2021 at 7:24 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

One of the nicest things about living in Asia, and especially living in Thailand, is that, when we become old and decrepit, and senile, there are no icebergs available which the younger generation can use to float us out to die, as sometimes happens in the far North.

Indeed, we have the local young girls....????????????

20 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Speaking of the younger generation, whatever happened to eating with your mouth closed or saying "John and I".  We were always taught to not put ouselves in front of or above others.  I think "Me and John", apart from being very poor English, is a reflection of the younger set today....selfish.

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”  Socrates 470- 399 BC

Nothing is certain except death, taxes - and old people complaining about the younger generation

On 9/3/2021 at 3:44 PM, johnnybangkok said:

What amuses though is it is very specific rose tinted glasses that completely fail to mention the hardship of the time, the social disparity and the abject poverty experienced by most.

None of which affected me as I had an affluent childhood, or do you expect children to be depressed because the world is full of sorrow? We have an entire adulthood to be depressed, so let's allow children to enjoy their life till they grow up and it all turns to <deleted>.

10 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”  Socrates 470- 399 BC

Nothing is certain except death, taxes - and old people complaining about the younger generation

OR, children have always been <deleted> little <deleted>.

My generation may have been polite, but probably because we'd be physically punished if we were not.

19 hours ago, johnnybangkok said:

Perhaps , if not done yet, you should read " The praise of madness" by Erasmus..... 

• Like 1