Thais say finances are "terrible", they're most worried about money in ASEAN region, say IPSOS

webfact

3pm.jpg

file photo

Thais are the most worried about money a survey among six countries conducted by IPSOS has revealed as what they called the fourth wave of Covid-19 ravaged the country.

Usana Janklam of IPSOS (Thailand), an international market research and consultancy firm, told Thai business media they had surveyed Thailand and five other ASEAN countries - the Philippines, Singapore, Indonesia, Vietnam and Malaysia.

Thais were the most worried about the economy and higher than the regional average. 

Consumer confidence that started to dip in March 2020 continued to be low as Covid fears and money worries prevailed.

One in 3 Thais described their financial position as "terrible".

80% said they were only spending money on household essentials like food to prepare at home and cleaning products. 

Spending on expensive items like houses and cars continued its dive since the third wave of infection. 

As far as the future months goes Thais were most concerned with passing the crisis, price controls on essentials, employment creation and job protection,  help for families and households and financial inequality. 

asean_now_BB.jpg

6 minutes ago, 2umich said:

In nearby area this year I see people buy and build houses like never before.

Where? We're they falang built hones, new MooBan, or folks who borrowed free money from the banks while no payments were needed.  Maybe just rich folks

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Where? We're they falang built hones, new MooBan, or folks who borrowed free money from the banks while no payments were needed.  Maybe just rich folks

Korat. I don't know exactly who they are, and how rich they are. Mostly locals. Some even build restaurants and food shops. But a lot of construction activity here recently.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

As far as the future months goes Thais were most concerned with passing the crisis, price controls on essentials, employment creation and job protection,  help for families and households and financial inequality

A bleak outlook then.

Price controls on essentials that already seem to be rising.

Employment and job protection has no chance under this present regime.

Financial equality has always been in favour of the rich families, monopolies and the top 10%

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The lack of mass tourism for the foreseeable future, lacklustre domestic spending and prolonged political protests (and possible violence)  will be the straws that break the economy's back. 

The teflon is starting to rub right off now and right in the middle of a global economic crisis and possible depression. 

Yet the baht seems to be making a recovery... just like the other stats.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

Where I live a lot of people are worried about their jobs. Some companies and government jobs are taking advantage of the covid situation and working people longer and harder. So if you lose your job another one will be hard to find and they know this. Life these days are not easy for the Thais.

Yes, that's the point. The ones who are suffering are ( as usual ) the workers and low paid. We visited a Japanese restaurant we haven't been there for awhile, no need to say why, usual there are 6 /9 waiting on tables last night only 3. the new thing is computer menu on the tables. chose what you want send the order straight to the kitchen and a server brings to your table after about 10/20 mins. We had finished our meals and had to ask for the drinks we had ordered at the same time as the meal.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Ginner said:

Yes, that's the point. The ones who are suffering are ( as usual ) the workers and low paid. We visited a Japanese restaurant we haven't been there for awhile, no need to say why, usual there are 6 /9 waiting on tables last night only 3. the new thing is computer menu on the tables. chose what you want send the order straight to the kitchen and a server brings to your table after about 10/20 mins. We had finished our meals and had to ask for the drinks we had ordered at the same time as the meal.

That reminds me of when my partner and I visited Japan.  We went into a restaurant and sat down.  We were the only non-Japanese in the restaurant.  We waited and waited and nobody came to take our order.  Turns out we were suppose to order and pay for our meal at a vending machine type thing out by the entrance that we hadn't noticed.  I prefer the personal interaction with wait staff.  I know of one Japanese restaurant in Pattaya that has the computer menu on tables but, fortunately, some of the tables by the windows don't have them--yet.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

I think also that there are many Thais who have taken the " Free Money :" the banks are offering to buyers of new Houses.

There are 10 new Houses being built down the Soi from me, and the guy cannot get them up quick enough before they seem to be sold.

I have never seen Houses sold so quickly, and they are the typical 2 M, single storey House on 50 TW of land, so nothing special.

Of course we all know that " Free Money " is anything but free, and there will be a substantial tick up in Mortgage Payments to come for these folk as time goes on.

4 hours ago, runamok27 said:

The world isn't watching and couldn't care less. If you polled the world about Thailands problems about 1.1% of the people will have heard anything at all about Thailand.

Indeed. Thailand is important only to the people that live there. To others, it is a south-east Asian backwater with no influence at all in world affairs, and best known for ladyboys and prostitutes.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, hotchilli said:
19 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

The lack of mass tourism for the foreseeable future, lacklustre domestic spending and prolonged political protests (and possible violence)  will be the straws that break the economy's back. 

The teflon is starting to rub right off now and right in the middle of a global economic crisis and possible depression. 

Yet the baht seems to be making a recovery... just like the other stats.

Nothing at all affects the Baht, other than what the US$ does. Even during the worst of the riots, even during the airport shut-down, the Baht stayed far more stable than anyone would have expected.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Indeed. Thailand is important only to the people that live there. To others, it is a south-east Asian backwater with no influence at all in world affairs, and best known for ladyboys and prostitutes.

yes has 2 good things going for it eh 

• Haha 1