AstraZeneca-Pfizer vaccine mix to be employed from October

Jonathan Fairfield

16 hours ago, Trujillo said:

I know a man who has had 4 shots of variously available vaccines here in Chiang Mai. I'm not sure if this is sound reasoning but then, perhaps he's taken the "common sense" message about adding masks for added protection. More is better. 

Is this a common practice in other countries (Western countries)? I have no idea. 

I'm not at all sure about mixing medicines/doses. I'm trying to think of other situations and medicines that we do this with. Do we do this with seasonal influenza? I don't know; I've never had a flu shot (and incidentally, have not had the flu for at least two decades). 

This is just my opinion and I have no links to offer pro or con. 

By the way, I'm not sure this fellow I mention is finished loading up on vaccine injections. Now with this buzz about boosters, I will have to ask him and report back. 

I'm not sure about other countries, but in Canada they have done mixed Pfizer/Moderna and mixed AstraZeneca/mRNA, apparently with good results.

18 hours ago, Henryford said:

Can anyone reference for me the scientific papers where they have tested the effect of mixing different vaccines?

Well that's the real problem right there. There's No testing available....... 

20 hours ago, Scrotobike said:

Yea gods - more mix and matching!

Here's the lowdown:

Recommendations for receiving the vaccine
- Those who have never received a COVID-19 vaccine can receive 2 doses of the Moderna
vaccine 28 days apart.
- Those who received 1 dose of the Sinovac or Sinopharm vaccine can receive 2 doses of
the Moderna vaccine starting 1 month after. The first and second doses of the Moderna
vaccine should be received 28 days apart.
- Those who received both doses of the Sinovac or Sinopharm vaccine can receive 1 dose
of the Moderna vaccine as a booster dose 3 months after the second Sinopharm or
Sinovac dose.
- Those who received 1 dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine can receive 1 dose of the
Moderna vaccine as a booster dose 3 months after.
- Those who received 1 dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine can receive 1 dose of the
- Those who received 1 dose of the Sinovac vaccine and 1 dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine
have the same protection as those who received 2 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine.
1 dose of the Moderna vaccine can be received as a booster dose 6 month after the
second dose.
- Those who received 2 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine can receive the Moderna
vaccine as a booster dose 6 months after. 2 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine are
effective in providing protection against all variants of the COVID-19 vaccine, including
the Delta variant.
- For those who received anmRNA vaccine, such as 2 doses of the Pfizer vaccine, there is
information that the vaccine loses its effectiveness starting 8 months after
administration. We recommend reserving 1 dose of the Moderna vaccine as a booster
dose to receive during quarter 2 of 2022 (April to June 2022).
- We do not recommend receiving a fourth dose of any COVID-19 vaccine until there is
guidance provided by the government authorities.

And don't forget, the folks behind Thai Asstra Zeneca have plenty of their own brown envelopes.

33 minutes ago, Joules said:

Here's the lowdown:

- Those who have never received a COVID-19 vaccine can receive 2 doses of the Moderna
vaccine 28 days apart.
- Those who received 1 dose of the Sinovac or Sinopharm vaccine can receive 2 doses of
the Moderna vaccine starting 1 month after. The first and second doses of the Moderna
- Those who received both doses of the Sinovac or Sinopharm vaccine can receive 1 dose
Sinovac dose.
- Those who received 1 dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine can receive 1 dose of the
- Those who received 1 dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine can receive 1 dose of the
- Those who received 1 dose of the Sinovac vaccine and 1 dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine
have the same protection as those who received 2 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine.
1 dose of the Moderna vaccine can be received as a booster dose 6 month after the
second dose.
vaccine as a booster dose 6 months after. 2 doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine are
effective in providing protection against all variants of the COVID-19 vaccine, including
the Delta variant.
- For those who received anmRNA vaccine, such as 2 doses of the Pfizer vaccine, there is
administration. We recommend reserving 1 dose of the Moderna vaccine as a booster
- We do not recommend receiving a fourth dose of any COVID-19 vaccine until there is

And don't forget, the folks behind Thai Asstra Zeneca have plenty of their own brown envelopes.

Good grief that is loooong

7 hours ago, rbkk said:

Where you are but not nationwide.

This is why they're go with the mixing and matching of vaccines, as there isn't enough of one particular vaccine to serve the country as a whole - even when cycling supplies are being received every month or so. 

A little bit of Sinovac here, a bit of AZ there, more Pfizer and moderna over there, blah, blah

From say...two months ago, everyone I know here received their first dose of a particular type and were scheduled to receive another type as their second dose. Though, I believe currently the health officialdom is attempting to keep both doses of the same type. But not guaranteed.

1 hour ago, Joules said:

Here's the lowdown:

vaccine 28 days apart.
Sinovac dose.
second dose.
the Delta variant.

Sounds like those with AstraZeneca x 2 are headed down a good path, and a solid 'full series' vaccine certificate  for International travel as well.....

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, rbkk said:

In that order? It does make a difference. The most beneficial order is AZ then Pfizer.

The study on which the advice was based was done in that order.
“It appears that the Pfizer vaccine boosted antibody responses remarkably in one-dose AstraZeneca vaccinees. "
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01359-3

19 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

Sounds like those with AstraZeneca x 2 are headed down a good path, and a solid 'full series' vaccine certificate  for International travel as well.....

Until you're required a booster....

23 hours ago, Henryford said:

Can anyone reference for me the scientific papers where they have tested the effect of mixing different vaccines?

Currently no major medical organizations recommend this as a regular practice. Websites for WHO, EMA, NHS and the FDA all recommend it in a "trial setting" only until further research confirms that it is safe and effective.  Many studies are currently being done, but have not heard of any large peer-reviewed ones that have been completed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CANSIAM said:

It should be but in reality it's not. It is only in Thai Language. The English has been left blank. No passport number is shown. The address section is again only in Thai script. When I returned to the hospital, to have the missing information added, they said they couldn't enter any English because they didn't have the English version of the computer program. Said they would ring me. I've now been waiting 7 days for a call. Nothing. At a loss really with what to do next. Certainly unsuitable for travel even though I have had my 2 doses of AZ at 12 weeks interval.

28 minutes ago, rbkk said:

It should be but in reality it's not. It is only in Thai Language. The English has been left blank. No passport number is shown. The address section is again only in Thai script. When I returned to the hospital, to have the missing information added, they said they couldn't enter any English because they didn't have the English version of the computer program. Said they would ring me. I've now been waiting 7 days for a call. Nothing. At a loss really with what to do next. Certainly unsuitable for travel even though I have had my 2 doses of AZ at 12 weeks interval.

My first AZ jab certificate is English and Thai, the second should be the same. You could try taking your jab certificate and get the International Vaccine Passport book that will be English. I'll be trying to get it.  ( keep ringing them back, find out who has an English program version )

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, CANSIAM said:

My first AZ jab certificate is English and Thai, the second should be the same. You could try taking your jab certificate and get the International Vaccine Passport book that will be English. I'll be trying to get it.  ( keep ringing them back, find out who has an English program version )

My 1st was a piece of paper folded in half. The 2nd is different, it says "Thailand National Certificate of Covid-19 vaccination" so more official looking (?). Also it says 'signature of certificate authority' at the bottom but has been left blank. No human signature anywhere. There is though an easily copied rubber stamp. I asked at the hospital about a signature but they said 'no can do' only available from  Bangkok. i'm guessing the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Perhaps with Thailand 4.0, 'Signatures' are being phased out!

236557733_735134997444379_3876530554037592344_n.jpg

Edited by rbkk

30 minutes ago, rbkk said:

My 1st was a piece of paper folded in half. The 2nd is different, it says "Thailand National Certificate of Covid-19 vaccination" so more official looking (?). Also it says 'signature of certificate authority' at the bottom but has been left blank. No human signature anywhere. There is though an easily copied rubber stamp. I asked at the hospital about a signature but they said 'no can do' only available from  Bangkok. i'm guessing the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. Perhaps with Thailand 4.0, 'Signatures' are being phased out!

Looks like unfortunately a hospital WITHOUT administration know how..........

Edited by CANSIAM
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, goatfarmer said:

Already available. 

I have only seen availability of Pfizer or Moderna to Thais over 40, or those with pre-existing conditions. Can you provide any info about where one could find this? 

Also, does anyone have any info about the links to where I can get the vaccine card, they have been talking about? Have been double vaxxed already with Pfizer. Thanks. Got the letter from the hospital, but keep hearing about the yellow booklet, or a vaccine card. Thanks.

11 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I have only seen availability of Pfizer or Moderna to Thais over 40, or those with pre-existing conditions. Can you provide any info about where one could find this? 

Also, does anyone have any info about the links to where I can get the vaccine card, they have been talking about? Have been double vaxxed already with Pfizer. Thanks. Got the letter from the hospital, but keep hearing about the yellow booklet, or a vaccine card. Thanks.

Ditto

• Thanks 1

On 9/5/2021 at 9:04 AM, stupidfarang said:

What concerns me is it is AstraZeneca vaccine is a viral vector vaccine and Moderna/Pfizer is a mRNA vaccine so I would like to know if it is safe to mix the two different types.

True and this is a concern for me as well.  My 2nd shot is October 15, so If I get the Pfizer, I'll let you know.   I got annual flu shots in the US for around 20 years so am used to the traditional vaccines, never had the mRNA

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Joules said:

Those who received 1 dose of the Sinovac vaccine and 1 dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine

I'm having trouble believing this. I'm guessing as Thailand is the only country doing this mix it must be Thai research......

Edited by rbkk
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, mahtin said:

Originally scheduled to receive a second shot of AZ 22nd October.

Asked if it could be changed to Pfizer.

Received OK after 2 week wait,

Appointment for 3rd October, Pfizer.

image.png.4312040a8905379b813040548c7f0cbd.png

I do hope the Pfizer arrives and can be distributed by your appt date. When it was first announced they said 3rd quarter. Perhaps things have changed and I missed the earlier arrival announcement.

30 minutes ago, rbkk said:

I do hope the Pfizer arrives and can be distributed by your appt date. When it was first announced they said 3rd quarter. Perhaps things have changed and I missed the earlier arrival announcement.

The Bangkok Hospital (Khon Kaen) is pretty good. The doctor called Saturday evening. Later, email from nursing admin.

Fairly confident that there will be another brown plastic envelope with my name on it this time too,

(Not ass-u-me-ing).

2 hours ago, club said:

Sounds like a good mix , but I dont think Pfizer will be here until the first of the year. This like Moderna was ordered to late this year according to both Manufactures to be delivered this year

Pfizer is already here in Thailand, I had a shot two weeks ago and my second shot is next week. Wifes mother and also grandmother have been lucky and they have had two shots each of AZ

2 hours ago, Skallywag said:

True and this is a concern for me as well.  My 2nd shot is October 15, so If I get the Pfizer, I'll let you know.   I got annual flu shots in the US for around 20 years so am used to the traditional vaccines, never had the mRNA

I had one Moderna jab in the UK and one Pfizer jab in Thailand both are mRNA my concern was mixing a Vector shot (AZ) with a mRNA shot

29 minutes ago, stupidfarang said:

Pfizer is already here in Thailand, I had a shot two weeks ago and my second shot is next week. Wifes mother and also grandmother have been lucky and they have had two shots each of AZ

The concern I and others here are having is in relation to the Thai Govt order of 10 million doses of Pfizer, originally slated for a 3rd quarter delivery (Between 1st September and 31st December 2021). Your doses I assume were/are from the 1.5 million donated by US,  (extra 1 miilion doses donated=2.5 million)

1 hour ago, rbkk said:

I'm having trouble believing this. I'm guessing as Thailand is the only country doing this mix it must be Thai research......

It makes no sense. Unless the government is lying because even most Thais dont want Sinovac.