AstraZeneca-Pfizer vaccine mix to be employed from October

Jonathan Fairfield

47 minutes ago, tonray said:

They are not really mixing two vaccines. Each vaccine independently promotes a seperate immune system response and prepares your body to defend against Covid-19 should you become infected. By the time the second dose is adminstered, not only has the first vaccine and all traces of it long disappeared from your system, the immune response has also waned, which of course is the reason for the second shot requirement. Think of childhood vaccinations, kids are jabbed with 10 or more recommended vaccines between 1 year and 18 years old, they are not mixing different vaccines....think of each one as an independent dose.

another expert 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Henryford said:

Can anyone reference for me the scientific papers where they have tested the effect of mixing different vaccines?

There is some international study evidence.

A mix-and-match approach to Covid vaccines - using different brands for first and second doses - appears to give good protection against the pandemic virus, a UK study has found.

The Com-Cov trial looked at the efficacy of either two doses of Pfizer, two of AstraZeneca, or one of them followed by the other.

Although the UK said:

"The UK's deputy chief medical officer, Prof Jonathan Van-Tam, said there was no reason to change the current successful same dose vaccine schedules in the UK, however, given vaccines were in good supply and saving lives."

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-57636356

There is also another study that says one dose AZ and one dose Pfizer gives better protection from vaccine waning.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

Can anyone reference for me the scientific papers where they have tested the effect of mixing different vaccines?

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/06/01/americas/canada-mixing-coronavirus-vaccines/index.html

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/health/medical/canadian-study-to-look-at-effects-of-mixing-covid-19-vaccines/ar-AAKcr1D

It was widely done in Canada.

Their only option in winter of 2020 was to get AZ from India. The approach was to get as many vaccinations into as many people as possible for first dose. And wait as long as possible for the second jab

While they were doing that other orders were in for Pfizer, Moderna etc.

So second jab time comes around and options were available.

The problem for a lot of folks is that most countries don't recognize mixing and matching for entry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

What is the difference?

Do Thai computers not have Google? It would have been quicker to Google than write your question ???? 

Both mRNA and viral vector vaccines contain instructions that teach our cells how to create "spike proteins", which is the protein found on the surface of the virus that causes COVID-19. Once your cells produces COVID-19 spike proteins, your immune system recognizes that those proteins don’t belong in your body and creates antibodies to stop the virus from spreading and causing damage when you are exposed to it. Neither vaccine contains the virus that causes COVID-19.

The instructions in the mRNA vaccines are messenger RNA (mRNA), the genetic material that tells your cells how to make proteins. The mRNA is surrounded by tiny lipids (fatty molecules) which help mRNA enter directly into your cells. Once your cells create the spike proteins, your body breaks down the mRNA.

In viral vector vaccines, spike protein DNA is placed inside a modified version of a different virus that doesn’t cause illness. This non-harmful virus delivers the DNA instructions to your cells – this virus is called the vector.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Scrotobike said:

Yea gods - more mix and matching!

"Dr. Sophon indicated that 12 million doses of Sinovac will arrive within the month followed by another 6 million doses in October, marking the end of orders" - 18 million of  ******. This is the only reason why they are mixing - to remove this as they do not want to cancel it as it is tied in with an order of very excellent self stuffing brown envelopes manufactured in China.

More experimental testing. Humans aren't Guinea pigs!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Karma80 said:

Why not just come out and say - we're gonna vaccinate people with whatever we have to hand at the time. It's ok, you're probably safe, we googled it. We have a bucket load of Sinovac we need to use and need to make our numbers look better on paper.

Instead of mixing the vaccines, why not have Buy one get one free. But the Sinovac must all be free for those who want it but don't care if it really doesn't work.

Edited by vandeventer
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

The main risk with combining different vaccines is that each vaccine carries different side effects and risks. Where these risks have independent risk factors, you're essentially doubling your risk of side effects. It's a trivial increase but it's worth considering given that the medical benefits of mixing vaccines are limited.

exactly, it is the side effects that we should think about and not what a vaccine can do, all vaccine work as intended, it work more or less it will prevent you from serious condition

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trujillo said:

I know a man who has had 4 shots of variously available vaccines here in Chiang Mai. I'm not sure if this is sound reasoning but then, perhaps he's taken the "common sense" message about adding masks for added protection. More is better. 

Is this a common practice in other countries (Western countries)? I have no idea. 

I'm not at all sure about mixing medicines/doses. I'm trying to think of other situations and medicines that we do this with. Do we do this with seasonal influenza? I don't know; I've never had a flu shot (and incidentally, have not had the flu for at least two decades). 

This is just my opinion and I have no links to offer pro or con. 

By the way, I'm not sure this fellow I mention is finished loading up on vaccine injections. Now with this buzz about boosters, I will have to ask him and report back. 

Each year the experts decide which four strains are to be included in the flu vaccine.

Doctors often mix drugs such as antibiotics nothing new there.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, vinci said:

exactly, it is the side effects that we should think about and not what a vaccine can do, all vaccine work as intended, it work more or less it will prevent you from serious condition

If you care to read the leaflet that comes with the vaccines and most medications listing all the potential side effects you might feel deterred from taking anything.

If you are so concerned you option is simple abstain.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The committee handling emergency vaccination doses and sites, has decided that Thailand will begin mixing AstraZeneca and Pfizer doses starting in October

Yep good idea, just mix whatever you can get hold of... Plan B

As plan A was a year late getting started.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, csmith said:

I thought there was no long term research on mixing & matching vaccines yet.

Is it all ‘guesstimates & fingers crossed'

Am I wrong …. ?

B1DFB6A5-037E-4AE5-8753-D924813A3C61.webp 20.52 kB · 3 downloads

Depends on your definition of long term. For anti vaxers it means a dozen generations. They will keep moving the goal posts everytime their worries are proved groundless. 

• Sad 1

so many great scientists here, worldwide famous, so we can be sure that their decisions are always great !

maybe as good as injecting millions of people, billions in the world, who didn't need anything and would have never got covid or got very sick...

what a world of champion, I am happy to not be part of all this BS.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, chang1 said:

Depends on your definition of long term. For anti vaxers it means a dozen generations. They will keep moving the goal posts everytime their worries are proved groundless. 

yes champion, keep being the obedient submissive person that you are until you understand that before 4 years using any medicine or vaccine we know nothing about real long term side effects. But I guess that for most people that we are trying to protect by stopping the world (old obese or sick because of themselves), it's already good to declare a new cancer within 4 years...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Scrotobike said:

Yea gods - more mix and matching!

"Dr. Sophon indicated that 12 million doses of Sinovac will arrive within the month followed by another 6 million doses in October, marking the end of orders" - 18 million of  ******. This is the only reason why they are mixing - to remove this as they do not want to cancel it as it is tied in with an order of very excellent self stuffing brown envelopes manufactured in China.

Ye gods, more garbage.

5 minutes ago, thierryviteau said:

yes champion, keep being the obedient submissive person that you are until you understand that before 4 years using any medicine or vaccine we know nothing about real long term side effects. But I guess that for most people that we are trying to protect by stopping the world (old obese or sick because of themselves), it's already good to declare a new cancer within 4 years...

And you keep praying you don't get covid. 

• Haha 2