AstraZeneca-Pfizer vaccine mix to be employed from October

Jonathan Fairfield

1 hour ago, BEngBKK said:

WHO have tested the Pfizer/Astra combination and approved the use.

In that order? It does make a difference. The most beneficial order is AZ then Pfizer.

Edited by rbkk

3 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

What concerns me is it is AstraZeneca vaccine is a viral vector vaccine and Moderna is a mRNA vaccine so I would like to know if it is safe to mix the two differnat types.

Do you and Henryford not know how to use a search engine?

A mix-and-match approach to COVID-19 vaccines could provide logistical and immunological benefits

https://theconversation.com/a-mix-and-match-approach-to-covid-19-vaccines-could-provide-logistical-and-immunological-benefits-161974

3 hours ago, Karma80 said:

Why not just come out and say - we're gonna vaccinate people with whatever we have to hand at the time. It's ok, you're probably safe, we googled it.

"It's ok, you're probably safe, we googled it".

Well that's all the Thaivisa poster medical experts do in order to come up with their dogmatic  conclusions and ill-informed disparagements, so why not!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Can anyone reference for me the scientific papers where they have tested the effect of mixing different vaccines?

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01359-3

The Pfizer–BioNTech booster seemed to jolt the immune systems of the Oxford–AstraZeneca-dosed participants, reported Magdalena Campins, an investigator on the CombivacS study at the Vall d’Hebron University Hospital in Barcelona, Spain. After this second dose, participants began to produce much higher levels of antibodies than they did before.”

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Addressing concerns that a booster shot poses the risk of cancer, the doctor explained the warning is only a general caution as the treatment has yet to receive extensive research. He acknowledged however, that the third vaccination shot could impact a person’s immune system.

WHAT?

1 hour ago, bob2 said:

Henryford,

The Com-Cov study, which looked at giving the doses four weeks apart in 850 volunteers aged 50 and above, found:

• AZ followed by Pfizer induced higher antibodies and T cell responses than Pfizer followed by AZ
  • Both of these mixes induced higher antibodies than two doses of AZ
  • The highest antibody response was seen after two doses of Pfizer, and the highest T cell response from AZ followed by Pfizer

This is the Com-Cov 1 study. There has also been the Com-Cov 2 study (longer dosage interval). If some still haven't bothered to read the links they were done by Oxford University. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stupidfarang said:

What concerns me is it is AstraZeneca vaccine is a viral vector vaccine and Moderna is a mRNA vaccine so I would like to know if it is safe to mix the two differnat types.

It's so much of a concern that you've not thought about asking a doctor?   Why would you ask, and then take the advice of, any anonymous, unqualified Thaivisa member who does nothing more than copy and paste from Wiki/Google?

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Hundreds of medical conditions are treated with a combination of drugs.

Yes, they're usually referred to as a cocktail. Like in the treatment of HIV and others. 

The cocktail often being modified as newer and more effective drugs are developed. 

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

So, when is the Pfizer going to be available to Thais? Thais are considered important, right? If they are willing to pay for it, make it available. 

Thai medics were at the front of the queue. One it was reported had it as his 4th dose!

23 minutes ago, thierryviteau said:

not praying ! only idiots pray for that ! I wear a mask and respect distance.

I didn't get it within almost 2 years, so why should I get it later ? This is ridiculous ! 68 millions Thai didn't get it, cases are less than 2 millions ! why is it so difficult to understand this for most of you ?

If only it was just idiots who pray.

You are deluded if you think you are immune. No-one knows how their body will react. Take all the precautions you want but given enough time you will get covid. Even vaccinated people can die as a colleague of a friend did a few weeks ago. Just remember it is not just your life you are gambling with as you could end up killing a nurse or doctor who treats you if things go bad. Earlier this year I was working in our local hospitals mortuary. The constant stream of bodies coming and going was a real eye opener. The difference between then and 2 months ago was amazing. All back to normal and the temporary storage units all on standby. If your young and healthy the odds are in your favour but certainly not a guarantee. 

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

I'm lining up a 3rd shot in October/November as a  booster to add to my 2 AZ i got in Oz back in May from a friend who booked and paid for 2 Moderna shots at large hospital in Bkk and doesn't need them now even though the judges are still out on the need for the booster shot...

Are you sure the appointments can be transferred to another person? You should check on that. 

31 minutes ago, rbkk said:

Thai medics were at the front of the queue. One it was reported had it as his 4th dose!

Thais are getting it now. Already. Especially medical staff. A 14 y.o student of mine got it last week. My son will get it next week. There are ways. 

50 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

WHAT?

Every shot has an impact on the immune system. That is what they are designed to do. Negative impancts? Who knows. But sinovac is a traditional vaccine decades old, so I doubt it would have any long term effects. az style vaccines have been aroudn decades too. 

Vaccine contents are cleared from the body in a couple of weeks or less. Nothing remains. It's not like heavy metals that may accumulate in tissues. Cancer from a vaccine? has that ever been recorded and verified?

2 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

so after two astra shots can i havee a phizer booster?

That is my plan....but I'm thinking to wait for 2nd gen vaccines to come around. If not, I may get a pfizer, but will wait 6 months at least to see what government policies are then, and any other research on the topic of mixing vaccines. 

3 hours ago, smedly said:

Thailand is playing fast and loose with this mixing, I would not see a problem with it if it was properly studied for safety and efficacy but it isn't.

The primary reason for doing it has nothing to do with best practise - is to cover up the governments obvious failure with vaccine procurement and to save their ####, no other reason.

These vaccines are dangerous enough without these unproven cocktails and the fact that they have their own associated risks seems to me to mean you are being exposed to the risks from each brand plus an as yet unknown risk of mixing.

None of this has been properly studied 

Your comments are fast and loose.

Mixing vaccines has been going on for a long time before covid 19 was around

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If you look at the science behind each vaccine and how they work, why in the world would you mix them as they all have a different approach.   Your system will not build strong immunity until you get a second jab of whatever you got first.  That's how vaccines work.  Mixing helps nothing.  Not only that, there's no research behind Mixing two different vaccines.   Nobody knows what will happen when you mix them.  Looks like free research and development being done in Thailand. 

Edited by The Farang

5 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

Thai doctor guy said it is ok.  Trust the science.

At the online Expats Club meeting they had some guy discussing this..... he seemed very knowledgeable and supportive of an Astra backed up with a second Pfizer. Although when a double Pfizer option came up, I jumped at it!