AstraZeneca-Pfizer vaccine mix to be employed from October

Jonathan Fairfield

9 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

I'm not at all sure about mixing medicines/doses. I'm trying to think of other situations and medicines that we do this with.

Hundreds of medical conditions are treated with a combination of drugs.

~ 600,000 Thais here have had three shots, presumably sinovac 2x + Pfizer 1x.

10 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

I will have to ask him and report back. 

Unless he's a Doctor maybe take his advice/experience with a salt-lick? I mean he's just one, single person, right?

I'm lining up a 3rd shot in October/November as a  booster to add to my 2 AZ i got in Oz back in May from a friend who booked and paid for 2 Moderna shots at large hospital in Bkk and doesn't need them now even though the judges are still out on the need for the booster shot...

Edited by ezzra
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The supply will be used in the mixed approach until the end of the year. It was explained that no more orders would be placed for Sinovac until a newer generation able to cope with the virus’ latest strains is developed. However, orders may continue if research shows the jab can be used with children.

The good news being that Sinovac will no longer be needed as there seems to be plenty of the other brands available from Oct.

For children I note that the UK scientists are currently advising against administering covid vaccinations for children 12 - 15 years due to the minimal risk to benefit ratio although thats with Pifzer. 

"Hundreds of medical conditions are treated with a combination of drugs."

I think there might be a difference, say, between taking Advil and aspirin for pain relief versus taking various injected vaccines, but what do I know? 

...and yes, I said, this was one individual. 

Isn't there some controversy now in the USA about whether boosters should be advised? 

I do think this line is interesting, from MSN News: Biden's controversial Covid-19 vaccine booster plan: (bold added)

"...some experts say booster shots are unlikely to alter the trajectory of the pandemic much — and that the doses would be much better spent getting people around the world immunized with first and second shots."

I tend to agree with this, particularly when we are talking about inoculating young people ahead of elderly folks who are actually at some increased/meaningful risk. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tonray said:

By the time the second dose is adminstered, not only has the first vaccine and all traces of it long disappeared from your system, the immune response has also waned, which of course is the reason for the second shot requirement.

So we will need continual vaccines until Covid disappears?

I got Sinovac last week, get Astra in 2 weeks and thinking about Moderna in 1 month. Maybe I should wait for 2 months to be safe? 

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

So we will need continual vaccines until Covid disappears?

I got Sinovac last week, get Astra in 2 weeks and thinking about Moderna in 1 month. Maybe I should wait for 2 months to be safe? 

I don't think anyone knows yet how long the immunity will last since we have not had a long enough period yet to test for long term immunity. But many things for example Tetanus rquire a booster at time where you think you may have stepped on a nail and incurred risk of infection. The one thing for sure is the longer the virus ciculates, the higher the probability of more variants coming into play that 'might' require more vaccines.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TooMuchTime said:

With covid vaccines they are thinking of boosters in terms of months while tetanus is 10 years.  Quite a difference.

Actually the initial "Boosters" are given at a much more frequent schedule:

The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends six doses in childhood starting at six weeks of age.[2] Four doses of DTaP are to be given in early childhood.[14] The first dose should be around two months of age, the second at four months, the third at six, and the fourth from fifteen to eighteen months of age. There is a recommended fifth dose to be administered to four- to six-year-olds.[14]

Td and Tdap are for older children, adolescents, and adults and can be injected into the deltoid muscle.[14] These are boosters and are recommended every ten years. It is safe to have shorter intervals between a single dose of Tdap and a dose of the Td booster.[21]

• Like 1