Always use a drill vice or grips ... Yes, you!

Crossy

19 hours ago, Crossy said:

We used to have a "spoiler" tag so we could hide those "iffy" images, sadly it vanished during one of the forum "upgrades".

Now I'm in trouble for getting blood on Madam's clean tea-towel, she got her revenge with the Betadine (that stuff STINGS!!) ???? 

I use Betadine because I've never known it to sting, but perhaps that's just me.

You may remember the good old days when they used iodine- that really did sting.

As for drilling something and it getting stuck and whizzing around- we've probably all been there.  One memorable time was when I accidentally locked the drill on, and it stuck in the immobile piece of wood I was drilling, so the drill spun around and around, winding the cord around itself till I unplugged it. I was lucky I didn't get electrocuted as the bare copper was exposed ( the drill is old and is partly steel ), and I had to replace the electrical cord. I make sure I use a transformer now.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Yes the angle grinder is a spinning thing. That your skin has been saved makes no difference to the dangers of gloves.

Please quote a credible source that says gloves should not be worn when using angle grinder.  That is clearly a misguided statement.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bankruatsteve said:

Please quote a credible source that says gloves should not be worn when using angle grinder.  That is clearly a misguided statement.

This page says gloves should be worn https://blog.prochoice.com.au/whs/angle-grinder-safety/

Jones also said users should wear high quality Class 5 cut resistant gloves.

“Gloves should be well-fitted and provide good dexterity and the best possible protection against cut or abrasion and heat,” 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A couple of interesting HSE docs.

indg174.pdfhsg17.pdf

IMHO -

Bench drills, lathes, milling machines, bench grinders and the like - no gloves!!

Hand held grinders, drills etc. Up to you but I tend not to anyway (but I only own small grinders).

It was a long time ago, but in our apprentice workshop the only gloves in use were for welding.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

This page says gloves should be worn https://blog.prochoice.com.au/whs/angle-grinder-safety/

Jones also said users should wear high quality Class 5 cut resistant gloves.

“Gloves should be well-fitted and provide good dexterity and the best possible protection against cut or abrasion and heat,” 

Is it surprising that a maker of gloves tells you to use them?

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

IMHO -

Bench drills, lathes, milling machines, bench grinders and the like - no gloves!!

Hand held grinders, drills etc. Up to you but I tend not to anyway (but I only own small grinders).

There is the point that if guards are used and positioned correctly. Correct cutting and grinding positions used, then there is not much benefit to using gloves, that using gloves encourages incorrect (or non) use of guards and lax positioning of the tool.

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

It was a long time ago, but in our apprentice workshop the only gloves in use were for welding.

True, and also that apprentice training was thorough but not perfectly documented.

Come to think of it, I can't remember using gloves for anything, maybe Mig welding.

I don't understand the wearing of rubber gloves when working on a car, my fingertips gave me feel, you know, feeling a bolt starting in a thread when you can't see where the hole is, that sort of thing. 

After school l stayed on the bus to get to a machine shop, I operated lathe and heavy drilling machines, never saw gloves there, only quick reactions when things went tits up...???? ...........????

Edited by transam
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

Is it surprising that a maker of gloves tells you to use them?

No, but it was national training manager of Milwaukee Power Tools, Paul Jones who said it. One would hope that he has at least a modicum of knowledge on these issues.

In a way I wish I'd not mentioned gloves in my OP but it has led to some interesting and thought provoking dicsussions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

Here I one credible source on angle grinder safety in general 

From 9;26 and around 12:00 for gloves, so not at all misguided or a mistake.

No he is not definitive nor does he, or I, suggest he is.

However think that the safety rules/safe practices are put in place to avoid low risk, high danger accidents, you may be OK 9,999 times and not once. A piece of red hot swarf  in the eye or an injury like this one (though the repair in this case was not too bad) is to be devoutly avoided

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Crossy said:

In a way I wish I'd not mentioned gloves in my OP but it has led to some interesting and thought provoking dicsussions.

We’re you aware of the nasty possibilities of degloving before this? The article I linked to has some serious injuries illustrated but there are many nastier ones.

Also while that is one of the possibilities there are others like the crushing of bones between the guard and disk with an angle grinder and others I leave to your imagination and research.

Yes gloves provide protection but a glove trapped in/by a rotating device provides the possibilities of extreme interest for a long time, if not forever, this is an interest you never want to have.

8 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

We’re you aware of the nasty possibilities of degloving before this?

I'd heard of that type of injury, but never really looked in to how they occured.

So something useful learned which is the whole point of this forum.

• Like 1

Saw a few nasty ones in my time. Including an apprentice lose the top of his finger by trying to brush swarf off a running milling machine instead of using a brush.

Also an electrician working in a live cabinet in a ship's control room get badly burnt. Must have touched something live. Almighty bang.

But the worst ones were in the HSE videos that they showed us in technical college. I think they were purposely  gruesome to scare us into taking care.

Pillar drills and long hair is also a No No.

But the one I see here all the time is workers using angle grinders while wearing no eye protection. Usually sitting crosslegged on the floor wearing flip flops with the wheel buzzing away inches from their toes. 

Been there done that. Ended up in Moorfield's Eye Hospital.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Indeed. I will never ever use an angle grinder without gloves.

While it is your prerogative to disregard the safety evidence and I hope you never find out why your choices are not optimal, do ensure that your significant others carry accident insurance on you so if you do become a statistic they get some compensation.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

Sound advice right up there with "Don't anchor the wood you're chopping with your foot."  The corollary to the truism is "Don't turn down the doctor's offer for a pain killer prescription."
Speaking for a friend.  ????

What doesn't kill you only makes your stronger.  There is a reason wisdom comes with age.
The kids and grandkids can't grasp that the sage elders have already unsuccessfully done most of the dumb stuff and still managed to survive.  :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Saw a few nasty ones in my time. Including an apprentice lose the top of his finger by trying to brush swarf off a running milling machine instead of using a brush.

Did you attend the TATC at Copenacre?

54 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Indeed. I will never ever use an angle grinder without gloves.

Wearing gloves is not that important using an angle or drill in many work places, protective glasses is the most important.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, connda said:

Slow motion Darwinism.  Lol.

The thread reminds me of many times at building sites attended as roofers, houses were not a problem only factory roofs when only access for putting large metal gutters and starting the roof was a 35 foot pole ladder. 

Remember one of many when I was 20 going to start on one site,  my head ganger telephoned the contractor we were working for saying he needs youngman walk boards,  the Contracts manager answered you have 2 scaffold boards what more do you want. ????????

• Like 1

Crossy

You were extremely lucky that you never lost at Finger or possibly your whole Hand.

As a time served Toolmaker, we are taught NEVER to Drill Etc anything that you have not clamped down / got firmly gripped.

There are several ways to drill that 15 Dia hole in thin sheet such as 1.5 mm safely, without it snatching..... and it wiill 100%

The easiest is to place another piece of Metal under the sheet about 100 mm thick. That way the point of the Drill has a bearing 

But again. 

Always, always clamp the thing, after all you would not put your hand in a weedwacker metal blade would you. And its exactly the same thing.

Old Engineers lesson # 1

Think twice and act only once.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

You were extremely lucky that you never lost at Finger or possibly your whole Hand.

Yup, which is why I posted here.

If someone avoids losing something because I posted that I'm an idiot then that's a positive result.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, phetphet said:

Also an electrician working in a live cabinet in a ship's control room get badly burnt. Must have touched something live. Almighty bang.

But the worst ones were in the HSE videos that they showed us in technical college. I think they were purposely  gruesome to scare us into taking care.

Pillar drills and long hair is also a No No.

But the one I see here all the time is workers using angle grinders while wearing no eye protection. Usually sitting crosslegged on the floor wearing flip flops with the wheel buzzing away inches from their toes. 

Been there done that. Ended up in Moorfield's Eye Hospital.

I have a belt drive pillar drill that sits under my work bench but it only gets used 2 or 3 times a year.

12 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I have a belt drive pillar drill that sits under my work bench but it only gets used 2 or 3 times a year.

Use mine all the time, with my wonky eyesight it's the only way to get vertical holes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/5/2021 at 10:28 AM, tonray said:

Actually my dentist here in Bangkok has added oral Betadine as a precautionary rinse before treatment due to Covid. It doesn't taste that bad.

Is that what they are using now?  Disagree about the taste not being bad - but at least it does not last as long as durian.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

An air line is a very effective way to spin up a ball race to very high speeds.

Releasing said ball race is a very effective way to punch a hole in a steel filing cabinet :whistling:

When I was at college a kid reckoned he could smash a ball from a bearing by putting it on the anvil and hitting it with a sledgehammer !!

The college instructor came back into the room to find us hiding behind lathes, millers and shapers while 2 kids emerged from the arc welding booths covered in glass !!

• Haha 1