Hospital hackers based in US: Police

snoop1130

34 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Are they sure it did not originate from China and was bounced through servers and such around the world?, just making sure.  I talked with a friend who works in cyber in the US and he indicated there is a lot of international crime, scams, and computer fraud emanating from China right now as well as the Ukraine.

Nope. They definitely say “ based in United States”

1 hour ago, jerrymahoney said:

I have an IEEE published nephew who works in Cyber security and, if I asked him about international cyber crime (which I don't), he would probably say 'Sorry that's classified information.'

Not really there are security forums who report on these crimes on a weekly basis.

First it was Indians with a server based in Singapore, now the US. They actually have no clue where this hack originated, VPN servers hide all tracks and with Thailand's lax approach to cyber security their detecting skills are suspect. Hacking gangs are often detected via known malicious code that is a common feature within certain hacking groups that leave imprints to their origins.

12 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Hog wash......can't even develop an app for 90 day reporting, but they can track hackers back to the US?....whatev's.

The Chinese graciously assisted with the investigation. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

First it was Indians with a server based in Singapore, now the US. They actually have no clue where this hack originated, VPN servers hide all tracks and with Thailand's lax approach to cyber security their detecting skills are suspect. Hacking gangs are often detected via known malicious code that is a common feature within certain hacking groups that leave imprints to their origins.

VPN's might give some protection, but very limited.

I remember a few years ago the USA desperately needed to track someone behind the HMA VPN.......it took them a day to find him.

14 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Hog wash......can't even develop an app for 90 day reporting, but they can track hackers back to the US?....whatev's.

Who knows? They might be making progress in developing their IT sector. Perhaps they've finally upgraded all their computers to Windows 97? ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

VPN's might give some protection, but very limited.

I remember a few years ago the USA desperately needed to track someone behind the HMA VPN.......it took them a day to find him.

Only limited if the VPN keeps records. It really depends what VPN you choose. Some destroy records all the time. 

14 hours ago, Will B Good said:

You assume that the same people who do the tracking are those that make apps. I mean the average standard might be low but that does not mean they don't have good people. Probably not much but there is talent everywhere just less in this area for Thailand. But if they still get those talents then its possible.

But I think a lot of the reasons why Thai apps are so insecure with data is that the data protection act is not ratified. So companies don't get in trouble when they lose data. So they keep their IT budgets low as the fallout costs less then good protection. 

16 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Are they sure it did not originate from China and was bounced through servers and such around the world?, just making sure.  I talked with a friend who works in cyber in the US and he indicated there is a lot of international crime, scams, and computer fraud emanating from China right now as well as the Ukraine.

or North Korea and bounced to blame the US ? Kim is facing financial difficulties  555

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Let me guess, you are US American. 

You are the good guys.

• Like 1