More hotel closures expected in Thailand if pandemic drags on

webfact

19 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Well, the empire will strike back - trust me on this!

Those hotels, or for that matter, any surviving business, will have absorbed billions if not trillions of Baht of losses. 

Those losses will be carried forward in their accounting records and result in a more than wafer thin revenue base for the boys in the parliament and then there will be no more submarine shopping. 

or space programmes.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, NeoDinosaw said:

Now that they have demonstrated that foreign arrivals do NOT bring nor spread Covid-19,  why do the authorities not open the country up  ?

Out of 7900 Phuket infections, under 100 were from foreigners. I rest my case your honor. The locals are the zombie threat, not the foreigners, and if anything, the incoming tourists are putting themselves at far greater risk. So, why the restrictions, at all?

• Like 2

On 9/11/2021 at 8:06 AM, spidermike007 said:

Of course thousands of hotels will go under, or be sold at heavily discounted prices. Many already have. We could call it the Great Prayuth inferiority. 

Trillions of dollars in infrastructure is on the line here. And the extremely timid authorities could not have done a better job of sabotaging a once vital industry if they had been making a effort to do so. 

Staggering malfeasance. A historic economic disaster, and Covid is only one part of it. A convenient scapegoat for sure.

There is far more than meets the eye, going on here. 

Indeed. Using Pattaya as the example, it was always their intention to change the status quo. The pandemic was mightily convenient. 

25 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Indeed. Using Pattaya as the example, it was always their intention to change the status quo. The pandemic was mightily convenient. 

I think you hit the nail right on the head. Since you could not do a better job of sabotaging tourism if you tried, I think it is fairly obvious they did try indeed. Rebuild the industry in their fake puritan, goody two shoes image. Without the nightlife. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, daveAustin said:

COVID is/was used as a convenient justification regarding most everything - the world over. 

On 9/11/2021 at 1:24 PM, ChipButty said:

She didnt get much more than a year out of it before they had to close it down part of their problem was they put all their eggs in the Chinese basket so as soon as that stopped business went down to zero, 

What was that saying about putting all your eggs in one basket?

As for the headline- isn't that stating the bleeding obvious?

14 hours ago, connda said:

Thailand needs more testing.  That will open hotels up again!

Saw this and curious if LOS will reduce(nope) the prepaid PCR testing amount(fee)   might need to carry one of these counter a possible false positive $1259 Bt each?

3 PCR test =4000 bt

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/amazon-com-cut-cost-covid-202250769.html

One of the problem is... local authorities.

One example : Koh Tao. Surat Thani province.

Orange (Covid color code).

They have just decided... to close (again) restaurants ! (take away only).

From 12 to 19 september....

Source  : https://www.facebook.com/samuiinfobynicha/photos/a.103090108015968/387158789609097/

Why ? A few more cases. What is the goal post ?

Why 1 week ? What difference it will make ?

And this order doesn't apply for Koh Samui nor Koh Phangan... Only Koh Tao.

Meanwhile, we sale "Koh Samui plus" and all the "sandboxes"...

Then tourists will arrive there... And ? "Sorry sir, no can do... No restaurant. Go to hell".

And this is just one tiny example... Provinces and municipalities have... too many powers... And they use and abuse them... because they have no clue, they don't know what to do (no inhouse team of "epidemiologists" and scientists).

They are afraid. Afraid of losing face. So... they close. They restrict. It cost nothing to do (for them), and it looks good.

It might work.... or not.. But at least.... they do something...

But all those decisions destroy the country and the people. Slowly but surely.

19 hours ago, daveAustin said:

They don't want a global sex-tourism destination at the centre of the Eastern Economic Corridor. 

There are billions upon billions being pumped into the EEC and it is written into the constitution.

When the nightlife returns as it inevitably will in the shorter term, expect more and more draconian measures to keep it small, manageable and out of sight with a view to its ultimate disappearance and morphing into a titillating tourist attraction (i.e. Tiffany show etc.). 

If you are a business owner in the entertainment industry this elementary stuff should be in the threat column of your SWOT analysis going forward. 

34 minutes ago, cclub75 said:

And this is just one tiny example... Provinces and municipalities have... too many powers... And they use and abuse them... because they have no clue, they don't know what to do (no inhouse team of "epidemiologists" and scientists).

This is still a country that operates very similarly to Feudalism in medieval Europe.

• Like 2

On 9/11/2021 at 11:40 PM, zzaa09 said:

Yet, reasonably prosperous and stable - as a society. 

Burma never had an overwhelming tourism business, so didn't need to imagine itself dependent.

I visited Yangon for 5 days, 21 years ago. I thought of it then as "The best kept secret in Asia".

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I visited Yangon for 5 days, 21 years ago. I thought of it then as "The best kept secret in Asia".

was 1st there in 1988, when u were only allowed 7 days,

Last in 2018>
still the best kept secret in SE Asia

Burma's economy has never been dependent on tourism

unlike Bali, Phuket, Samui, Phang Nga, Siem Reap