Tipping in Thailand??

Guest TerryS123

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If you're referring to traditional Thai massage shops, the lady probably went into hiding because of your B20 tip, not Covid; their tips are their earnings, and she's just hiding from you!  Most, if not all, of the massage fee goes to the shop. 

B20...Jesus, aren't you embarrased?  Give them a decent tip and it will be even better "up there".

Please stay in Liverpool .  The lady I used to use is back now covid has gone quiet up here , the one today lives above her massage shop what tip would you suggest ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toofarnorth said:

Please stay in Liverpool .  The lady I used to use is back now covid has gone quiet up here , the one today lives above her massage shop what tip would you suggest ?

ONly tip if it is good.

Too many here are scared what others think of them .

I would give 1-200 baht if the massage was very good, and she never treated me like a tourist.   

For a 200 baht foot massage, I wouldn't bother with a tip mostly. 

Some here would probably tip their dentist, they haven't a clue. 

• Like 2

Tip if you have descent service.

My wife usually leaves the change from the bill.

I'm a big tipper.  

Especially when I know I'm coming back to a particular hotel or restaurant.

I also tip workers who go the extra mile.

Thais and many Europeans don't tip but are very demanding.  

On 9/25/2021 at 6:38 PM, TerryS123 said:

How much? Thanks

You don't have to give them anything. If they have given good service you can tip them as much as you think they deserve.

It's only because some people tip everyone that locals have started to think they deserve tips for substandard service.

IMO if one intends to return to a place that one was happy with, tipping is a good idea as they probably will remember if you don't give anything. Most will probably just leave any small change, which IMO  is why one often receives small change rather than bank notes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You don't have to give them anything. If they have given good service you can tip them as much as you think they deserve.

It's only because some people tip everyone that locals have started to think they deserve tips for substandard service.

IMO if one intends to return to a place that one was happy with, tipping is a good idea as they probably will remember if you don't give anything. Most will probably just leave any small change, which IMO  is why one often receives small change rather than bank notes.

Frankly, I find such discussions and whatnot regarding tipping and comparisons of cultural aspects to be rather odd. 

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, toofarnorth said:
19 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If you're referring to traditional Thai massage shops, the lady probably went into hiding because of your B20 tip, not Covid; their tips are their earnings, and she's just hiding from you!  Most, if not all, of the massage fee goes to the shop. 

B20...Jesus, aren't you embarrased?  Give them a decent tip and it will be even better "up there".

Expand  

Why do you suggest that I stay in LIverpool, I'd need to be in Liverpool in order to stay there, wouldn't I? 

How much should you tip?...how about more than B20!

On 9/25/2021 at 1:34 PM, TerryS123 said:

Grab/Bolt?

Grab food delivery?

Restaurant?

Foot massage?

For me :

Grab/Bolt? I round up but about 10%

Grab food delivery? Nothing.

Restaurant? If service charge zero. If no service charge then I leave some the change.

Foot massage? Only the dog is allowed to lick my feet

If paying by credit card I never tip.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Neeranam said:

ONly tip if it is good.

Too many here are scared what others think of them .

I would give 1-200 baht if the massage was very good, and she never treated me like a tourist.   

For a 200 baht foot massage, I wouldn't bother with a tip mostly. 

Some here would probably tip their dentist, they haven't a clue. 

If I go to the market and buy a kilo of potatoes for 35 B maybe I should give her a tip , it is her job selling veg. Plus of course she might have worked hard digging the spuds. 

A massage person is selling too , ok if any pain has eased one may feel like tipping but to the one doing the massage it is just a job.  I tip 20 B after a 60 B haircut , the chap knows me so he takes care of what little hair I have left , many places in town for a haircut but don't want to change.

13 minutes ago, toofarnorth said:

If I go to the market and buy a kilo of potatoes for 35 B maybe I should give her a tip , it is her job selling veg. Plus of course she might have worked hard digging the spuds. 

A massage person is selling too , ok if any pain has eased one may feel like tipping but to the one doing the massage it is just a job.  I tip 20 B after a 60 B haircut , the chap knows me so he takes care of what little hair I have left , many places in town for a haircut but don't want to change.

Why tip some and not others? Personally, I tip the guy who empties by bin. He is poor, alcoholic and appreciates the extra money and occasionally bottle of whisky, twice a year.

I have a problem when I get a haircut around the hotels in town as they somehow think that foreigners don't need to be shaved. Every time I have to ask why they aren't shaving me. This is due to foreigners not knowing the culture and tipping, even if they don't get a shave! 

17 hours ago, toofarnorth said:

I suggest ignoring the trolls, they don't answer your questions and are only here to get attention. 

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 2:22 PM, HappyExpat57 said:

I'm more than comfortable in my current finances and (touch wood) for the foreseeable future. I over-tip in every situation. These folks are hurting, barely scraping by, and if I can ease their pain a little then so be it.

^This.

With the exception of the rare occasions I get poor service I always tip and tip generously.

In addition to the usual, restaurants, bars, cafes, taxis etc, I always leave a tip for the rooms maids in hotels; if I’m staying more than one night I tip on my fist morning. I don’t leave a big tip in the room on checkout, ‘floor managers’ have a habit of ‘sweeping’ rooms on the checkout day.

I give every tip with an added ‘thank you’, face to face or in a written note.

Oddly, I get excellent service in places I’ve previously tipped at.

I don’t eat or drink more than once with people who don’t tip. If they want good service they can pay for it themselves.

Edited by Chomper Higgot
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/27/2021 at 4:34 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

A bizarre American custom adopted and accepted decades ago in this country for the benefit of those in low paid jobs, serving the public well.

Yeah, damn Yankees.

The custom originated in Europe, and while its history is not entirely clear, it is commonly traced back to 17th century England. The word "tip" is speculated to be an acronym for "To Insure Promptitude," which was printed on bowls in British coffeehouses.

But, Euros probably never extended the tipping custom to the brown skinned folks in their colonies. Americans, however, never had to overcome that prejudice.

I actually enjoy rewarding good service in Thailand with a tip. Certainly not the 20% expected these days in the States; but a nice amount, paid directly to the server (and not the community tip bowl, although they may be required to deposit such in that bowl, after I've left...).

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, JimGant said:
On 9/27/2021 at 4:34 PM, Liverpool Lou said:

A bizarre American custom adopted and accepted decades ago in this country for the benefit of those in low paid jobs, serving the public well.

Yeah, damn Yankees.

The custom originated in Europe, and while its history is not entirely clear, it is commonly traced back to 17th century England. The word "tip" is speculated to be an acronym for "To Insure Promptitude," which was printed on bowls in British coffeehouse

Looks as though you think that it was my assertion that the Americans are to blame?  I was just responding to another poster who used the "bizarre American custom" phrase.

Tipping, unlike bribery, is not part of Thai culture. however, if you are in an area with lots of foreigners, it is becoming the norm.

My philosophy with tipping is

• context - Does the person expect a tip?
  • How well did they perform?
  • Will I need their services again - is there an advantage to me in generous tipping?
  • Is this in line with the regional daily wage? - Usually about 300 baht per 8hour day.
  • Is there a service charge on the bill?
  • NEVER pick up lose change - that is considered very miserly.

I've mentioned elsewhere going for a meal with a dozen or so Thai people and the "papa" as expected picked up the bill for several thousand baht.

We had about 6 people waiting on table, at the end of the meal he tipped them each 20 baht.

• Haha 1

A bit of the American side of tipping...

"It made its way to America after the Civil War (which ended in 1865), when wealthy Americans started traveling to and from Europe. They brought the custom back home to show off their worldliness, but it was immediately met with disdain.

Americans considered it anti-democratic, as it encouraged classism and further distinguished the wealthy from the masses.

These initial grumblings escalated into movements. In 1904, the Anti-Tipping Society of America was created in Georgia, and its 100,000 members pledged to not tip anyone for a year, the Times reports." 

businessinsider.