Guest TerryS123

On 9/25/2021 at 1:53 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Grab/Bolt?

Grab food delivery?

- Goes on credit card - usually no tip. 
- if cash, then 20 baht 

Restaurant?

- If 10% service charge, generally no. 

- if no service charge then depends on restaurant & service & size of bill. 

Foot massage?

- massage - 300-400 baht 1-1.5 hrs - tip 200 baht

Anything else I am missing..

Tipping is not a big deal in Thailand., but is appreciated.

Americans will come on here and suggest differently. 

Ultimately it’s down to you, I’m probably cheap but follow suit with my Thai friends.

Tipping is not mandatory but hard working Thais appreciate a small tip. 15 to 20 baht seems to be the norm depending on the size of the bill. Be careful though. Some bigger places add service charge and VAT on top of the bill. That's where it has ++ on the menu. l never use those places as l don't believe the staff get the service charge. However l did get caught Saturday. Went to Witherspoon's on Bua Khao. Got charged 7% VAT on my bill. No mention of it on the small menu l saw. l believe the establishments are meant to show extra charges clearly. Simple answer. l won't go back.

People who do not tip are possibly jealous that the worker makes more money then they do.

A UK pension for example is around $1000 a month what a joke many Thais make more then that.

Cheap and jealous would be my answer.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Like 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

On 9/25/2021 at 1:34 PM, TerryS123 said:

I have been here for a couple of months and I think I have been tipping more than what is expected. Can you give me some insight on what you tip?

Grab/Bolt?

Grab food delivery?

Restaurant?

Foot massage?
Anything else I am missing..

Thanks

No tips are expected, except in massage where the tip is payment for 'extra services' provided.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 2:15 PM, digbeth said:

Most condos don't allow riders or any delivery driver to walk up to the rooms now, and with good reason, taking the time to walk up to your room and back could cost them precious time getting the next job, plenty of video of self entitled pricks getting into fight with rider/condo management over issues like this, your condo is an exception rather than the norm, 

Agree, since September 1 you can actually go out and sit down and eat at a restaurant.  The number of delivery drivers am sure is helping the local economy.  I personally hate the traffic from them at my condo.  

If you cannot even walk down or take the lift down to pick up your food, that is just laziness IMO

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 1:34 PM, TerryS123 said:

Grab/Bolt?  maybe 20 baht, depends on distance 

Grab food delivery?  rarely use, maybe 10 baht or change

Restaurant?  10-20%

Foot massage?  Normally 100 baht for a Thai massage or oil massage

Takes work and skill to learn massage

I figure my retirement income is at least 30,000 baht per month more than most of these workers, so can easily afford to tip 

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

People who do not tip are possibly jealous that the worker makes more money then they do.

A UK pension for example is around $1000 a month what a joke many Thais make more then that.

Cheap and jealous would be my answer.

It's OK with me if hard working people make more than me especially those risking their lives in traffic to bring me delicious nutritious morsels during a pandemic. 

It is true tipping isn't required here. That's cool. In a way that makes things a little sweeter for those that give even modest tips. They are appreciated.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

Agree, since September 1 you can actually go out and sit down and eat at a restaurant.  The number of delivery drivers am sure is helping the local economy.  I personally hate the traffic from them at my condo.  

If you cannot even walk down or take the lift down to pick up your food, that is just laziness IMO

Oh boy.

Delivery customer shaming.

As many Americans say, I COULD care less!

Just because restaurants are open does not mean you SHOULD go especially if you're high risk and or not fully vaccinated yet.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

My golf caddy recently asked for more than 100 baht for 9 holes. I opened my wallet and took out a 500 note and asked for the 100 back. She gave it to me, I put the 500 back and told her to go away with no tip. Those farang that give 500 baht tips make it worse for those of us who have assimilated into the culture. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

My golf caddy recently asked for more than 100 baht for 9 holes. I opened my wallet and took out a 500 note and asked for the 100 back. She gave it to me, I put the 500 back and told her to go away with no tip. Those farang that give 500 baht tips make it worse for those of us who have assimilated into the culture. 

Normal middle class Thais hate it too ! My in laws would get super <deleted> when I used to leave a decent tip . It’s not Thai culture at all .

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 9/25/2021 at 1:53 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Restaurant?

- If 10% service charge, generally no. 

- if no service charge then depends on restaurant & service & size of bill. 

I eat at a lot of Thai-centric restaurants and I look at what the Thais tip when they pay their bill.

0 Baht. I will usually leave Baht 20 if I get one in change, the coins otherwise.

And Thai-centric restaurants don't have a service charge.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisandsu said:

I think anyone who’s not manipulated by the fear of being called a cheap Charlie by an ex bar girl . 

Also anyone not manipulated by expats with delusions of grandeur calling others "Cheap Charlies".

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 2

On 9/25/2021 at 2:53 PM, toofarnorth said:

My regular tip is to my new massage lady but I think it confuses her. The last lady went into hiding when Covid appeared.  The new one is the same price 300 B for an oil massage , 1 hour.  I have 1 and half hours and give her 20B tip  So that is 470 B.  She doesn't get/understand the extra 20 B tip and gives me 10 min. head massage.  470 B already put aside for Monday. Bless her and she sings to herself while I get the massage.

Good up here .

If you're referring to traditional Thai massage shops, the lady probably went into hiding because of your B20 tip, not Covid; their tips are their earnings, and she's just hiding from you!  Most, if not all, of the massage fee goes to the shop. 

B20...Jesus, aren't you embarrased?  Give them a decent tip and it will be even better "up there".

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, volsfan said:

Given the large number of other Asians here, especially Japanese and Koreans, Thai's should not be expecting a tip at all.

I was at dinner tonight, had a 2000 baht Bill and asked my daughter about tipping. She said no need to tip.

Perhaps because there was a service charge added automatically?   If not, why would your daughter say there no need to tip?

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I dont think that being rude, harsh and unpleasant is part of Thai culture

Who do you think is being rude, the caddy or me?

Getting a tip and asking for more is certainly not a Thai thing and they would only ever do that with a farang. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

The concept of tipping for good service is not dependent on income!    If someone can't afford to tip a miserly few baht, perhaps they shouldn't be larging it up and wasting their pension in a restaurant.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No tips are expected, except in massage where the tip is payment for 'extra services' provided.

That's not accurate in the case of traditional Thai massage, most staff are self-employed and depend on tips, the Thai massage fee generally goes to the shop.   There may be a token payment to the masseuse but not enough to survive on.

5 hours ago, chrisandsu said:
5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Expand  

Normal middle class Thais hate it too ! My in laws would get super <deleted> when I used to leave a decent tip . It’s not Thai culture at all .

Your in-laws follow you around the golf course to check how much you pay the caddy?   Strange.