Tipping in Thailand??

Guest TerryS123

Guest TerryS123

I have been here for a couple of months and I think I have been tipping more than what is expected. Can you give me some insight on what you tip?

Grab/Bolt?

Grab food delivery?

Restaurant?

Foot massage?
Anything else I am missing..

Thanks

I tip 30 baht for food delivery but my impression is that most people don't tip them or if they do its more like rounded up change or 20 baht. I appreciate that they go to my condo door. I tip less  to the minority of drivers that refuse to do that especially if they lie and say it isn't allowed by the condo.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

It's always depends.

For Grab Food delivery, I sometimes give 10-15 baht

For Massage I give mostly about 50 baht (2 hour massage)

in better Restaurant when go out 50-100 baht (bill more than 1'000)

You will for sure become many information about not to give any tips.

But I think if the service was good why not give the service person. So at the end it's up to you!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Grab/Bolt?

Grab food delivery?

- Goes on credit card - usually no tip. 
- if cash, then 20 baht 

Restaurant?

- If 10% service charge, generally no. 

- if no service charge then depends on restaurant & service & size of bill. 

Foot massage?

- massage - 300-400 baht 1-1.5 hrs - tip 200 baht

Anything else I am missing..

Tipping is not a big deal in Thailand., but is appreciated.

Americans will come on here and suggest differently. 

Ultimately it’s down to you, I’m probably cheap but follow suit with my Thai friends.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, TerryS123 said:

I have been here for a couple of months and I think I have been tipping more than what is expected.

Tipping is only up to you and not really expected.

You should only tip if your happy with a particular service, i.e. it's not for everything and I can appreciate that you want to tip mostly everyone because you feel for them, that said, keep it within your budget, many have provided a guide above.

At the end of the day one also has to look after ones self, so how much will you get back tomorrow if you are left with zero.

Also make sure you tip both, not just the girls.

43 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Most condos don't allow riders or any delivery driver to walk up to the rooms now, and with good reason, taking the time to walk up to your room and back could cost them precious time getting the next job, plenty of video of self entitled pricks getting into fight with rider/condo management over issues like this, your condo is an exception rather than the norm, 

Of course I don’t fight with them but I know they can come up so telling me they can't is lying. I don't live in most condos. Just one.

Also I agree it's an extra service to the door so I think not tipping for that is mean.

On one app where I  can request that early in the order sometimes drivers bump me to another driver. 

Edited by Jingthing

48 minutes ago, digbeth said:

Most condos don't allow riders or any delivery driver to walk up to the rooms now, and with good reason, taking the time to walk up to your room and back could cost them precious time getting the next job, plenty of video of self entitled pricks getting into fight with rider/condo management over issues like this, your condo is an exception rather than the norm, 

It’s not with good reason. In fact it is total and complete, inconsistent <deleted>. A furniture delivery guy comes up, a plumber comes up, an electrician comes up, the electric meter man comes up, but if I am getting some food delivered now the guy can’t come up? Please. 

When are people gonna learn this stuff is all <deleted>. You know it’s true just based on inconsistencies. Why can we use elevators if covid is so dangerous, ever think of that one? If people are dying, shouldn’t we use stairs? 

it’s all <deleted>, people just don’t know it yet for whatever reason. 

• Sad 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Stick with 10% minimum depending on if you will use the service again and how happy you were. Remember people are poor and desperate so be generous and kind..Cheap charlies are rightly hated here, foreigners and thais alike.

Tipping percentage is an American thing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Service charge in fine dining place.... 

Normally if a waiter is decent in wine recommendation or service, I'd at least tip 1-200 baht 

but with some place already has 10% surcharge, I don't tip extra, 

I suppose you could ask the manager to take out the 10% and then tip at least the same amount or more to make a point, but it's not worth the hassle 

20-100 baht depending. When you look at it in terms of 50p-£2.50 [replace with your preferred currency] it's not exactly going to break the bank is it?

If you get good service in a restaurant, give the tip directly to the waiter/waitress who served you. Then they can pocket it. Leave it on the table or in the bill folder and the restaurant gets it. 

• Like 2