Experience with renewal Thai driving license without thai ID.

finnsk

2 years ago I changed my international driving licence to a Thai private driving licence, based on my passport and longterm visa, all without problems.

Now it is time to make a renewal to a 5 year license, then the problems began.

I checked up the DLT website and maked the online 1 hour test, could not make an reservation, because the reservation app want a thai ID nr, thought that should only give some more wait time at the office. Go to hospital - get health certificate. Go to immigration - get residence certificate all paperwork should be ok. Then I go to my local village office for vehicle papers, to ask what and how to do, now with covid etc etc, he answered me the provincial DLT office is closed because of covid, hmmmm.

I asked some around and just get more confused.

I took my wife under my arm and go to the provincial office, there I see an open DLT office, making licenses to a lot of Thais. We go to the desk and the staff asked for a queue/ appointment proof, I answered I could not make it because I do not have a thai ID nr, then I could not make the renewal, the staff answered and show the door, hmmmm.

Home again still with an expired driving license.

The DLT want an appointment based on a 13 digit thai id, then I used my 13 digit vax ID and could open the appointment app and make an appointment.

Yesterday I went to the DLT office again on my appointment date/time, showed them my appointment paper, they took it and controlled it and went back and said they could not see I have maked any appointment, grrrrrrr. Now the wife began to wake up and prepare for war against the office staff, some time this temper is good and other times not so good. Under the argue the head of the office arrived. He talked with the staff and my wife, then they took a look of the papers and the licence card, the staff asked where I got that license from, we told this office maked it 2 years ago, the staff and office head talked again, then they said they will control my license card, it does not looks ok. We answered no problems. The staff look tired, the head said to one of the underdogs he must go to the paper file and see if there was any papers on that license card. After some waiting time the underdog come back with my paperfile from 2 years ago, showing the paperwork for my driving license.

Then the staff gave up and began to make the renewal paperwork...........

Make the colour test and reaction test and then to the photo/card station and then I got my new 5 year driving license.

I dont know what the real problem is, are the DLT covid confused or farrang confused, I will never find out, but not a good experience.

Next time I will not try with my vax ID, maybe the license card ID number or maybe the public administration in my region will change and give pink cards to farrangs who are living in their area.

My experience, do not hope others need to be a part of this cirkus.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have completed the e-learning on-line, got my “Pass” certificate and managed to book an appointment at the DLT office to renew my 5 year Thai Driving Licence. 
The Passport option does not work on the app but I just entered my Thai 13 digit Vaccination ID Number which the system accepted. I have a confirmed date and time for my appointment and a QR code. 
Will wait and see what happens when I turn up at the DLT office. 
Hopefully all will be OK unlike your experience. 

1 hour ago, skorts said:

I have completed the e-learning on-line, got my “Pass” certificate and managed to book an appointment at the DLT office to renew my 5 year Thai Driving Licence. 
The Passport option does not work on the app but I just entered my Thai 13 digit Vaccination ID Number which the system accepted. I have a confirmed date and time for my appointment and a QR code. 

Haven't heard of this e-learning online before. Is it an app for your phone or computer and what is it called please.

I got my 5 year license, 2 weeks ago at Mueang Surin DLT. The DTL is open for tax payments and vehicle registration, but you have to make an appointment with the drivers license department to apply for or renew your drivers license and testing. I found this out after going there the week before. I had with me my passport, yellow book, medical certificate and expired drivers license. I entered the office at 10:45 and besides the staff, I was the only person there. I was informed I would have make an appointment and return next Thursday. Besides the paperwork I had with me, they also required either a pink id card or a residence certificate from immigration. I opted for the pink card. My new license still uses my passport number as the id number. Only the reaction and color tests where required.

23 hours ago, skorts said:

This previous post of mine might help ….. links to the apps are included below. 

I have recently completed the e-learning, got my “pass” certificate (valid for 6 months) and booked an appointment at the DLT office for renewal of my 5 year Thai Driver’s License. Appointment not yet attended. 

if you need help with the Thai translation during the process the Google Translate camera option, where you hover the phone camera over the Thai text on the screen is great. 

A. DLT e-learning training

Link to e-learning - 1 hour video:

https://www.dlt-elearning.com/Home

As previously stated by another respondent you answer 3 simple questions at the beginning, again during the 1 hour video, and again at the end. You must answer the questions during the video to continue with the video. 

B. Booking your Driving License appointment at the DLT

Here is article (translated from Thai) on How To Book An Appointment at the DLT office. I attach a link to the original article so you can see the screen shots of the process below:

https://www.silkspan.com/online/article/auto/95/

Book your driver's license queue in advance with the DLT Smart Queue app for the convenience of license making, license renewal, vehicle tax payment and international driving license application. which can choose the date of service You will be informed of what documents you need to prepare. And there is an alert system when it's close to the queue.

1. The process of booking a queue through the DLT Smart Queue application. Download the DLT Smart Queue application for both Android and iOS operating systems.

Here are links to the apps:

iOS - https://apple.co/2PRGXr2
Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.DLT.SmartQueue

2. Sign-in

Select “ID card” > fill in personal information to apply for membership > create a password to log in.

The Passport Option did not work. I selected Thai ID and put in my Covid-19 13 digit ID number. The system accepted this ID number. 

3. Select the transport office you want to reserve the queue for your driver's license. I put my office in English in to Google Translate to identify it in Thai on the drop down list of offices on the app. 

4. Choose the type of service as "license work" - 2nd/middle option of three. 

5. Select the type of work that you want to receive the service. For example, renew your driver's license for 5 years to 5 years or 2 years to 5 years.

6. Select the date you wish to renew your driver's license - date you want to go to the DLT office. 

7. Choose the time you want to reserve. Then press the button to confirm the reservation > take a screenshot to keep as evidence to be displayed with the staff.

if you need to change the date you can log in, cancel your appointment and set a new one up. 

I choose my pink card ID and is accepted.

But there is no possability to fill in my birthday, birthday 31 for July 1951 is not possible. Very strange or not. I tried also IPAD and IPHONE

23 hours ago, skorts said:

I have recently completed the e-learning, got my “pass” certificate (valid for 6 months) and booked an appointment at the DLT office for renewal of my 5 year Thai Driver’s License. Appointment not yet attended. 

if you need help with the Thai translation during the process the Google Translate camera option, where you hover the phone camera over the Thai text on the screen is great. 

As previously stated by another respondent you answer 3 simple questions at the beginning, again during the 1 hour video, and again at the end. You must answer the questions during the video to continue with the video. 

Here is article (translated from Thai) on How To Book An Appointment at the DLT office. I attach a link to the original article so you can see the screen shots of the process below:

Book your driver's license queue in advance with the DLT Smart Queue app for the convenience of license making, license renewal, vehicle tax payment and international driving license application. which can choose the date of service You will be informed of what documents you need to prepare. And there is an alert system when it's close to the queue.

1. The process of booking a queue through the DLT Smart Queue application. Download the DLT Smart Queue application for both Android and iOS operating systems.

2. Sign-in

Select “ID card” > fill in personal information to apply for membership > create a password to log in.

The Passport Option did not work. I selected Thai ID and put in my Covid-19 13 digit ID number. The system accepted this ID number. 

3. Select the transport office you want to reserve the queue for your driver's license. I put my office in English in to Google Translate to identify it in Thai on the drop down list of offices on the app. 

5. Select the type of work that you want to receive the service. For example, renew your driver's license for 5 years to 5 years or 2 years to 5 years.

6. Select the date you wish to renew your driver's license - date you want to go to the DLT office. 

7. Choose the time you want to reserve. Then press the button to confirm the reservation > take a screenshot to keep as evidence to be displayed with the staff.

if you need to change the date you can log in, cancel your appointment and set a new one up. 

The example file will not work, who is the administrator?

Web Page Blocked!

The page cannot be displayed. Please contact the administrator for additional information.

URL: www.silkspan.com/online/article/auto/95/

Client IP: 83.163.80.1
Attack ID: 20000018
Message ID: 000625466783

1 hour ago, Max Brok said:

The example file will not work, who is the administrator?

Web Page Blocked!

The page cannot be displayed. Please contact the administrator for additional information.

URL: www.silkspan.com/online/article/auto/95/

Client IP: 83.163.80.1
Attack ID: 20000018
Message ID: 000625466783

Are you using a VPN?  I was using a U.K. VPN which also blocked this.

When I tried with a Thai VPN it worked fine. 

1 hour ago, Max Brok said:

I choose my pink card ID and is accepted.

But there is no possability to fill in my birthday, birthday 31 for July 1951 is not possible. Very strange or not. I tried also IPAD and IPHONE

Not sure. Only thing I can think is because you are over 70 years old if it will not allow your date of birth?

This post is relative to Lamphun.

I returned from overseas with almost 1 year expired 5 year licence.. I did the E learning test and got message to download app and join the queue.. As others have said , app does not accept foreign passport number. Today, I went to Lamphun DLT office and spoke with information lady in the driving licence section. I was informed that at the moment due to Covid, they have been instructed to clear the Thai backlog first; perhaps by December '21 they can then process foreigners. I was also told to keep using the expired licences as these will be accepted by the Police as they have been told, and are aware of the situation.

I can't wait to get pulled over to test it out but I suspect that it will never happen, as I have always been previously waved through. (I have International Driving Permit as back up for a few months yet)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2021 at 2:30 PM, skorts said:

I have the DLT video training passed, certificate print-ok.  Now for the appointment, I have the 13 digit numbers from my vaccinations-ok.  I could enter DLT booking program and create a password-ok.  For the rest all is in Thai language, I can click Chatuchak but there are many categories of renew DL from 5 years to another 5 years and after that I am lost.  Do you have any advise, maybe the DLT Queue reservation system is not for foreigners?  On 8 Nov, it will be 1 year since my DL has expired...

Strange OP and Comments. DL renewal process unrecognisable from mine six months ago……..

“13 digit number for tax or covid cert or pink id” = “Alien Registration No.” why nobody knows that ?

there was no online appt.booking. go to office with known papers.

get appt.for reaction tests & DL issue…..

no e -learning either ( unless DL expired over one year) just reaction tests at DLT office

no such thing as “ private” DL

“vehicle papers” are nothing to do with DL

that “dodgy” 2 yr licence via “ agent” perhaps ?never use DL “agents..

10 hours ago, yimlitnoy said:

I have the DLT video training passed, certificate print-ok.  Now for the appointment, I have the 13 digit numbers from my vaccinations-ok.  I could enter DLT booking program and create a password-ok.  For the rest all is in Thai language, I can click Chatuchak but there are many categories of renew DL from 5 years to another 5 years and after that I am lost.  Do you have any advise, maybe the DLT Queue reservation system is not for foreigners?  On 8 Nov, it will be 1 year since my DL has expired...

It's been reported on other threads about DL Renewal that foreigners should make a reservation in person at their DLT branch. Similarly to yourself I also completed the online training (but using the 13 digit number of my pink ID card), and after that the drop-down list of DLT branches was all in Thai language. Unsure about Chatuchak, but for DLT 3 at Bangchak the earliest available appointment when checking in person at the branch last month was in November (I have until Jan 2022 before my DL has expired by 1 year). 

If you're unable to get an appointment by 8th Nov you could consider using an agent as they should be able to get you an early morning slot at Chatuchak (where there's a cap of 20 foreigners per day) with a few days notice.

On 9/28/2021 at 4:23 PM, skorts said:

2. Sign-in

Many thanks.  Used my covid 13 digit number and got an appointment for next Thursday.????????