Floods - what's the answer?

bradiston

Seems, like many countries, Thailand's going to be faced with increasingly devastating floods over the coming years. I know they have a system of dams, runoffs, canals and waterways, but a lot of these were constructed decades ago I think. Any ideas what approach might be adopted now? Can they expand or upgrade the current infrastructure, or does it need a complete rethink? I'm clueless.

how to get rid of water fast?From what i have seen is ,during high tide the natural flow

is very slow.No way you can change that,Bangkok is at the end of the pipe and water will always funnel there.

Reservoirs and damn can do a really good job but there has to be a balance between how much water

to keep and how much to let out.

You let too much out?Farmers will not have enough water to grow their crops and will be angry.

You keep too much water in the reservoir?That is what has happened now and we all can see the result.

These two issues are not easy to deal with,it is not possible to predict the amount of rain.

Bigger reservoirs,straightening out the rivers and a huge canal to bypass Bangkok.

Maybe a move able dam and building dikes along the rivers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flood_control_in_the_Netherlands

image.jpeg.a00b6db18f3c6441dd65090ae609789a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, bradiston said:

Any ideas what approach might be adopted now?

Don't build on flood plains, and if you must, build on pillars.

Not sure why you think floods will be worse in the future, they seem the same as always to me.

Edited by BritManToo

One answer is to decentralized and depopulate Bangkok as a government, business and residential center; develop new cities on higher ground.

But the governmenthas instead further industrializes the city with more condos, bridges, roads and railways. I believe these developments are political in nature to strengthen a political powerbase whose location is historically Bangkok rather than adjusting to climate change characterized in part by rising seawater.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Yes. The move to European style housing is a big mistake for a country that regularly floods.

When we took down my wife's old house after the back end badly flooded and fell down it was landfilled 2metre in height before the new build. 

They have done good in our village getting water away they stopped the poor going to the roof a long time ago. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

One answer is to decentralized and depopulate Bangkok as a government, business and residential center; develop new cities on higher ground.

But the governmenthas instead further industrializes the city with more condos, bridges, roads and railways. I believe these developments are political in nature to strengthen a political powerbase whose location is historically Bangkok rather than adjusting to climate change characterized in part by rising seawater.

The giant outlet water tunnel is nearly finished in time for the dry season. 

15 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Not high enough. ????

It only looks moderate to keep the thieves out.

Once opening the front door, the property goes 100m deep. Marble, Jacuzzi, smart TV's in my 15 bedrooms.

I also drive a poor looking Toyota Vios but with a Ferrari engine.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

It only looks moderate to keep the thieves out.

Once opening the front door, the property goes 100m deep. Marble, Jacuzzi, smart TV's in my 15 bedrooms.

I also drive a poor looking Toyota Vios but with a Ferrari engine.

???? Fair call and that brings me to my farmhouse, I calI the room I've built within it 'Tardis' and I guess after 15 years it's been safe with much better properties either side but I've always been a bit concerned that some thief may go in and leave some money by the outside door and see the room ??. ????

IMG_20210404_164915.thumb.jpg.dbba4254ad6fb7acedeaee5127bb0984.jpg

IMG_20190704_163004.thumb.jpg.db3ec77720e7c7f7523f85a74ac883cb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

???? Fair call and that brings me to my farmhouse, I calI the room I've built within it 'Tardis' and I guess after 15 years it's been safe with much better properties either side but I've always been a bit concerned that some thief may go in and leave some money by the outside door and see the room ??. ????

IMG_20210404_164915.thumb.jpg.dbba4254ad6fb7acedeaee5127bb0984.jpg

IMG_20190704_163004.thumb.jpg.db3ec77720e7c7f7523f85a74ac883cb.jpg

Advertise it on Airbnb.

1 hour ago, RafPinto said:

Advertise it on Airbnb.

Seriously don't want people knowing about it, the front door handle and lock by the stairs and the top of open side areas have 5/15 electric current flowing along, all the family have been warned it gives a nice old jolt if anyone touches. ????

• Haha 1