The Bangkok River Level Thread - Please post your river level photos

Crossy

46 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

The Pa Sak Cholasit Dam in Lopburi/Saraburi has been above 100% capacity for several days now which is forcing them to release at least as much water as is flowing in. If there was massive rainfall in that area last night they may have no choice but to increase the outflow further.

One kind of wonders (and I say this full knowing I have little experience in water management), if during periods of relative low rainfall (June/July/August) when the environment as a whole can absorb more releases....why not release some to keep levels where you have some excess capacity during September/October timeframe when you know every part of the system will likely be soaked thru and unable to handle any large releases. 

7 minutes ago, tonray said:

One kind of wonders (and I say this full knowing I have little experience in water management), if during periods of relative low rainfall (June/July/August) when the environment as a whole can absorb more releases....why not release some to keep levels where you have some excess capacity during September/October timeframe when you know every part of the system will likely be soaked thru and unable to handle any large releases. 

Hydroelectric?

• Like 1

As others have commented here from Nonthaburi, 2 very heavy rainfalls yesterday. We are less than 1 Km from the Chao Phraya which at 18:00 yesterday still looked over 2 metres below the wall level.  The garden was 5 cm deep in water after the rain  but that has now drained through so thankfully the water table is well below  that.

We had our new shop in Bang Yai built 1 m above level  so aren't overly concerned there and it's next to a small klong that only appeared to have a small amount of water compared to usual last night.

I'm off to Cha Am now, if it gets worse let me know and I'll bring back a few inflatables.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2021 at 2:45 AM, mrwebb8825 said:
On 9/30/2021 at 9:50 AM, bbko said:

Down here in Pattaya at the start of the rainy season, the wife or I stop the local rice shops and ask for empty rice bags and 99% of the time give us a handful free.  Then it's just a matter of filling with sand or dirt from area open fields.

why not just get it from the beach? Nobody's using it anyway. ????

Empty bags in which to put sand are available at the beach?  That's useful information.

1 hour ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Empty bags in which to put sand are available at the beach?  That's useful information.

Sand would be available on the beach - if it actually was still a beach - which for Pattaya may not be a given.

Then it's just a matter of filling with sand or dirt from area open fields.

Edited by lopburi3

46 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Sand would be available on the beach

I'm aware of that.   I don't believe bags are, though, that was my slightly facetious point.

The ramp to the ferry is sloping down slightly at Nonthaburi Pier. About the same as yesterday. 

it was about one meter higher two days ago. 

the crews are actively building the sandbag wall higher today in anticipation of the weekend rise. 

4215736C-E372-4E60-96AA-5BF1EC1D1158.jpeg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TXTony said:

The ramp to the ferry is sloping down slightly at Nonthaburi Pier. About the same as yesterday. 

it was about one meter higher two days ago. 

the crews are actively building the sandbag wall higher today in anticipation of the weekend rise. 

4215736C-E372-4E60-96AA-5BF1EC1D1158.jpeg

Any idea on how this compares to 2011?

34 minutes ago, Crossy said:

It's difficult to compare, but we are about 1.2m - 1.5m below the peak of to 2011 wetness.

2011 level mark using a DIN standard Thai wife.

post-14979-0-68794400-1322893173.jpg

I live in Sala Thammosop, on the south side of Borom. In 2011, I had 80 cm of water in my house from the end of October until the beginning of January. Consensus seems to be that my village is safe this time. But at least I'm already prepared: kept a lot of things upstairs anyway after 2011 and all the house electrical plugs were raised 1.2 meters back then, too.

• Like 1

On 10/4/2021 at 10:42 AM, Crossy said:

You can tell the river is a bit high, the maid caught this chap in the garden. Pla chon, apparently good in tom-yum.

20211004_103703.thumb.jpg.124eabb4912bc958e4f928ee11d86c27.jpg

One of my favorite fish...but a terrible predator introdcued into USA lakes and rivers. I think in Minnesota they actually pay you $100 bucks for proof you caught and killed one.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, tonray said:

One of my favorite fish...but a terrible predator introdcued into USA lakes and rivers. I think in Minnesota they actually pay you $100 bucks for proof you caught and killed one.

Anyone know the Latin name of Pla Chon. I need a better picture as I wonder if I have on in my pond/tank