The Bangkok River Level Thread - Please post your river level photos

Crossy

In Nonthaburi (Bang Yai) and while not near the river, I am worried about the sewer systems being overwhelmed and unable to take the water flow. In that case, the streets and house plumbing become "the river" and not much will stop it. We just had about 3 hours of incredibly hard rain pass over...sunny now but too much water already in the system.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, tonray said:

In Nonthaburi (Bang Yai) and while not near the river, I am worried about the sewer systems being overwhelmed and unable to take the water flow. In that case, the streets and house plumbing become "the river" and not much will stop it. We just had about 3 hours of incredibly hard rain pass over...sunny now but too much water already in the system.

Yeah, we got the edge of that, garden is already sodden.

For those who aren't aware TMD have various radar images on line, this is the best for BKK, centred on Suvarnabhumi (Nongchok has been offline for ages) https://weather.tmd.go.th/svp120.php

• Like 1

In Ayutthaya we had heavy rain for about an hour and a half starting at around 5 am, more disconcerting was the gurgling sound from the drains afterwards !!

In a bungalow in a concrete moobahn am certainly feeling at risk, some houses on the moobahn have constructed a “simple” higher ground structure, bit late for me, maybe a visit to the local Wat is in order !!

• Like 2

In a couple of hours I'll out to the MooBaan entrance. Across the street are some rice fields and next to the MooBaan is a lotus pond. We'll see how high the water is in the rice fields, which will give a good indication of how saturated the system is currently. If the level is near the road...get out my swimming trunks....ha ha ha ha

• Like 2

The scenes of the tug boat being taken down at the convergence of the Chao Phraya and Pasak rivers yesterday in Ayutthaya was a stark reminder of the strength this water carries when it arrives in volume. The female victim seen clearly helpless as the disaster rapidly unfolded.

RIP to the 60 yr old tugboat captain and his wife. ( Somchai and Naruemo )

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

I can understand your concern as I seem to recall that your (then) new house flooded during the last big flood. Hopefully better luck this time.

Off subject on this Bangkok forum, but here in the north we have been isolated from our local town as the river covers the main road. A lot of these northern rivers feed into the system that flows through Bangkok.

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I can understand your concern as I seem to recall that your (then) new house flooded during the last big flood. Hopefully better luck this time.

Yeah, the 2011 flood put about a foot of water in the house, unfortunately it was too late for us to change the design.

October 2017 came pretty close too, luckily that's as high as it got then.

22688038_2001347750081538_6828082594949605515_n.jpg.d7bf921fefd8a2bb325705b2b5e09ad2.jpg

52 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, we got the edge of that, garden is already sodden.

For those who aren't aware TMD have various radar images on line, this is the best for BKK, centred on Suvarnabhumi (Nongchok has been offline for ages) https://weather.tmd.go.th/svp120.php

I find this the best loop radar for Bangkok these days as you get view of movement.  Both Takhli and Sattahip are useful for fast moving storms.  As said the two Bangkok radars have not been on web for a year or more and the canal levels were also removed from internet ages ago - out of sight out of mind I guess (they were very useful for predicting flooding and time to drain). 

https://weather.tmd.go.th/svp120Loop.php

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, carlyai said:

What's the predictions? 

Well the dams appear to be OK at present so barring more major rain up north ...

The village office have not announced the availability of sand and bags yet, that's my usual signal to get ready for wetness. Madam loves the sand to put on the garden once the water level goes down ????  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Well the dams appear to be OK at present so barring more major rain up north ...

The village office have not announced the availability of sand and bags yet, that's my usual signal to get ready for wetness. Madam loves the sand to put on the garden once the water level goes down ????  

The problem with sandbags is that although they are a good temporary fix , after the crisis passes many of the bags end up split and you can guess where a lot of the sand ends up.....blocking the drains.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Down here in Pattaya at the start of the rainy season, the wife or I stop the local rice shops and ask for empty rice bags and 99% of the time give us a handful free.  Then it's just a matter of filling with sand or dirt from area open fields.

8 hours ago, Denim said:

I lived in Bangyai during last flood. Water in living room was just lapping at the downstairs electrical sockets in the living room. I meter deep in street outside. Toilets obviously not flushing so make sure you have a supply of small black bags to stretch over a waste paper bin as that is what everybody had to do. Amazingly, the water and electric supply remained ok. One other plus was the complete silence over the whole area.

DSC01497.jpg

So, what did you, and everyone else, do with the black plastic bags, after use? Just asking.

21 hours ago, Crossy said:

There as been no significant rain in the last 4 days in North Eastern Issaan, the river level is subsiding

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

Today's photo, level is 76cm below "worry level" from 99cm yesterday (up 23cm / 9").

20211001_062536.jpg.7a877d1aa0560d4339fe22bdd066f793.jpg

Don't worry, (what me worry? AEN). The grandkids will be happy even in a 1 m flood as your AboveGroundPool will still be above high water mark. ????

On 9/30/2021 at 9:50 AM, bbko said:

Down here in Pattaya at the start of the rainy season, the wife or I stop the local rice shops and ask for empty rice bags and 99% of the time give us a handful free.  Then it's just a matter of filling with sand or dirt from area open fields.

why not just get it from the beach? Nobody's using it anyway. ????

35 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Freeboard is now down to 56cm from 65cm yesterday, is the rate of rise slowing or is it just tidal effects?

20211003_063219.jpg.ef38c005b0b2b1bd2e16ce74652ad975.jpg

And we are becoming the local "high level" car park for those less fortunate than ourselves on the wetness front.

20211003_063357.jpg.f8ea4f2fc8d7634a71dfa5ff53dbc397.jpg

200 a  day minimum farangs  free????

• Haha 2

Let's hope the guys controlling the Lopburi dams don't get trigger happy...we had another massive rain last night from about 4 PM Sunday to midnight....laid awake just imagining the sewers filling up. In Bang Yai..hopeful but cautiious, the rice fields across the road still significantly below road level so not an issue so far. My extension is due on the 20th but I may go this week just in case cannot go due to some 'unforeseen' events.

Edited by tonray
  • Like 2