Being scared to talk to other farang

georgegeorgia

I haven't heard this phrase used lately, but too often I've heard guys from the U.S. say they like LOS because they "live like a king."  When I hear that it is the end of the conversation for me.  Translation: they have a housekeeper.  Personally, having friends is one thing, but I don't like strangers in my house, and having someone come in and re-arrange my things just doesn't cut it.  As much as I hate mopping floors preference goes to preserving my space. 

Myself, I'm not much on the entertainment venues, and as I'm usually by myself they are not really an option anyway: safety in numbers is key here, as most of you know.  When you're with a bunch of guys it's easy to fall back and just be able to take it all in -- the hustle is aimed at the more enthusiastic chaps, the mamasans ("you buy more beer!") and bouncers don't give me much notice.  Part of the entertainment is seeing how guys behave when they fall under the spell.

Once a bunch of us went into a "hands free" restaurant.  The hostess gave us a tour but we didn't stay.  I didn't see the allure of this, but to each his own. 

10 hours ago, bendejo said:

I haven't heard this phrase used lately, but too often I've heard guys from the U.S. say they like LOS because they "live like a king."  When I hear that it is the end of the conversation for me.  Translation: they have a housekeeper.  Personally, having friends is one thing, but I don't like strangers in my house, and having someone come in and re-arrange my things just doesn't cut it.  As much as I hate mopping floors preference goes to preserving my space. 

Myself, I'm not much on the entertainment venues, and as I'm usually by myself they are not really an option anyway: safety in numbers is key here, as most of you know.  When you're with a bunch of guys it's easy to fall back and just be able to take it all in -- the hustle is aimed at the more enthusiastic chaps, the mamasans ("you buy more beer!") and bouncers don't give me much notice.  Part of the entertainment is seeing how guys behave when they fall under the spell.

Once a bunch of us went into a "hands free" restaurant.  The hostess gave us a tour but we didn't stay.  I didn't see the allure of this, but to each his own. 

one could say you are boring ?????

10 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If you went to a mall in your own country, did you try to have conversations with a/ fellow countrymen b/ foreigners?

Can't answer as I've always avoided malls, they didn't really have them in England.

And Thailand is essentially 100 shops selling exactly the same products, so no reason to go.

11 hours ago, bendejo said:

I haven't heard this phrase used lately, but too often I've heard guys from the U.S. say they like LOS because they "live like a king."

Thailand allowed me to live like a 'rock star'.

Loads of slim and attractive young women to choose from to take home every night.

Took me 6 months to learn and adapt to what was possible here.

I'm not sure kings are allowed to have that much fun!

All the Prince's (Andrew, Charles, Harry) from the UK don't seem to be that happy. 

Edited by BritManToo
  • Haha 1

I am reassured that no posters have commented “the last time I spoke to a Farang he said incomprehensibly ‘hahaythairjimmyhowyedain’

iIt seems my greetings are well received. I just hope that possible earlier publicised misjudgements might result in disagreement, so I will stick to the advice I gave earlier; duck and expect the worst

On 10/1/2021 at 9:29 AM, georgegeorgia said:

I'm really talking about these farang say shopping in Khon khaen Tops supermarket or somewhere and they are waiting for their wife & another farang says hello to them and they ignore them because of fear they could be asking for money or trying to con them in some way....that's a extreme example but it happens

Maybe I’m just not very social but even in my home country or any other country it would feel weird if a random stranger approached me in the supermarket or elsewhere for anything else than asking for a cigarette, directions, or something similarly banal. So even without considering that Thailand attracts quite a bit of trash farangs I would be cautious. 

I do talk to other farangs here when the circumstances provide some reassurance, such as networking events and hangouts; people met through friends; business contacts; or the hobby football team you join. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2021 at 11:27 AM, Hummin said:

The most annoying people I meet in Thailand, be it in a bar or restaurant sitting next to your table, they start talking about how bad the girls are and spewing negativity about how bad they are, when my gf sitting next to me. 

Never bring your gf to TVF. 

12 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

I am reassured that no posters have commented “the last time I spoke to a Farang he said incomprehensibly ‘hahaythairjimmyhowyedain’

iIt seems my greetings are well received. I just hope that possible earlier publicised misjudgements might result in disagreement, so I will stick to the advice I gave earlier; duck and expect the worst

Most be your incredulous and properly and respectful formed wai, en lieu of the casual indifferent variety....

Speaks volumes. Farang wai Farang.

On 10/1/2021 at 12:08 PM, BritManToo said:

Was always happy to talk to attractive young foreign women.

During my uni time here, my western buddy and I would sometimes go to KSR when we were bored of Thai girls, to pick up some of those western backpackers. I remember we had a good night when we met two Swedish girls who had just graduated from Highschool and who had just arrived in a taxi from BKK. I hope that counts as talking to other farangs. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2021 at 12:28 PM, eliassfeir said:

Those girls hate what they do, it disgusts them to the bottom and deep inside they’re only hoping for the farang they’re with to kick it ASAP so that they can hopefully get some of his money… 

I don’t know any of them, so I trust your experience. 

On 10/1/2021 at 12:28 PM, eliassfeir said:

At the end of the day, in the West a prostitute shall she choose not to continue doing that job, she will be able to find a decent job, sure enough salary will be pretty low, but enough to somewhat live. 

In Thailand on the other hand they will have nothing.

This is nonsense though. There are enough factory and retail jobs for these girls to do. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Hummin said:

ASEAN NOW, I don't think they need to come here, they have a Thai female forum, where they talk about falang boyfriends. Nasty place

My point was: you will find enough farangs here that talk bad about Thai girls as you found in bars and restaurants. Thus, don’t bring your gf here

On 10/1/2021 at 1:10 AM, georgegeorgia said:

So I walked back in the toilet and took the wallet 

Moral of the story don't be arrogant 

"So I ... took the wallet.  Moral of the story don't be arrogant"

Don't be arrogant, be a thief!    To quote your words, "just bloody bizarre some of you lot".    

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 2

So I walked back in the toilet and took the wallet

Jesus, why would you even write that, are you proud you stole someone's wallet? You have just made yourself look totally pathetic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

My point was: you will find enough farangs here that talk bad about Thai girls as you found in bars and restaurants. Thus, don’t bring your gf here

Not me,

All the Thai girls I've met slept/lived with were great.

And the Viet, Khmer and Filipino ladies as well.

Edited by BritManToo

ow as I'm getting older and some farang talks to me or acknowledge me passing by or whatever I will talk or acknowledge back ...so what if they ask to loan money I will say no...there's no need to ignore someone ...just because they could ..they might...possibly ask for a loan ....just ridiculous.. some of you must walk around Thailand with your head down making no eye contact hyper vigilant to other farang !

Only lent to two people money in Thailand as foreigners.

1) Guy that i used to know that was down on his luck and lost his job (around 2014) lent him money, it was repaid and 4 yrs later the guy was talking behind my back, safe to say he lost his job during covid, and the door was closed.

2) Guy i've known for 10 yrs and was my go-to for discussions of personal nature, had cancer, paid his medical fees (loan) and a couple of other loans (total about 200-300k) when covid struck he asked for some funds, i said ok, then purposely kept 'non' approachable during the first year and half. 

Spoke to him recently, he's not as 'responsive' which implies he knows i am going to ask for the funds back (which i intend) but only after he's back to earning again.

Money always changes circumstances, and people, but in a lot of cases 99% of the foreigners here are looking to turn you over, or make some funds out of you etc because they are living here and need capital like everyone else, but there is the 1% that are pretty decent people and friends for life (until they hit a rough patch, and you need to consider if your friendship warrants going above and beyond).

Take up golf, and avoid the chubby sub 40 europeans stick to the over 50's/60's and they are generally 'set' so looking for 'meaningful relationships'. avoid bars etc 

Edited by Jenkins9039

On 9/30/2021 at 8:35 PM, BangkokReady said:

Not scared per se, but Thailand does attract some oddballs.  One thing I notice is the number of foreigners who can get quite annoyed, almost hostile, when another foreigner is around.  Like you're mere presence is diluting their "specialness".  Then there are those that aggressively gatekeep Thailand and want to be the most Thai or whatever.

I don't go to tourist areas so perhaps it's different there.

This is true . It’s almost like they want to be the only gay in the village ! I always say hi to other foreigners especially in places where you don’t see as many and often you get a blank stair back . Strange people . 

The OP is quite vague here, using the word "Farang". Which countries does this term cover? Is he using skin colour to decide on who is Farang and who is not?

Personally I don't use the word. I use "foreigner", which includes every non-Thai in the world.

The OP is making his assessment based on the assumption that every non-Thai (or Farang) should behave the same way as he does or they are abnormal in some way. His behaviour is the yardstick he is using to assess the bahaviour of strangers.

The problem is, every non-Thai, from the other 194 countries of the world, behave differently. People from some countries talk to everyone, others are reserved, or even shy to talk to strangers. People from small country towns are more likely to be outgoing than someone from a big city. Judging people based on their willingness to talk to strangers is a sensless endeavour or even perverse.

You might not catch outgoing people in the right mood, and they might not want to be disturbed. There can be countless reasons why a stranger doesn't want to talk to you, so don't take it personally, or judge the person based on your social norms.

29 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

This is true . It’s almost like they want to be the only gay in the village ! I always say hi to other foreigners especially in places where you don’t see as many and often you get a blank stair back . Strange people . 

Perhaps these "strange" (based on your idea of strange) people went to live in rural areas far away from other foreigners because they don't want to be disturbed. They could just be loners. Surely if being in areas where lots of other foreigners lived was important, that's where they would be.

3 hours ago, LarrySR said:

Those can be the worst.

Meet one and they can't resist launching into their pathetic Hannity or Tucker impression.

It would be best if they wore the dumb "red hat" so us normal folks can just avoid them. 

In all fairness the state I live in (non American) the rabid democrats  are the wack jobs that I avoid like the plague (I used to be liberal) it’s echo chamber central . Actually I cut any one off that starts a conversation about politics as a complete nut job , is this your normal method when meeting people ? 

3 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Perhaps these "strange" (based on your idea of strange) people went to live in rural areas far away from other foreigners because they don't want to be disturbed. They could just be loners. Surely if being in areas where lots of other foreigners lived was important, that's where they would be.

Saying hello to someone is common curtesy where I’m from.  

9 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

Saying hello to someone is common curtesy where I’m from.  

Ok so from where you are from you say hello to all strangers on the street, everywhere you go? Really? That's a huge task. Does "someone" include all Thai people in Thailand that you pass on the street? Or are Thai people not considered "someone"?