Electric vehicles of all kinds

Kanada

18 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Unfortunately, it's crazy expensive right now. The base price is $175,000.

...and not even available yet. There are TWO prototypes right now. Flying taxis seem to be closer to be launched.

I'll wait for the flux capacitor ????

42 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Unfortunately, it's crazy expensive right now. The base price is $175,000.

Probably why I suggested ... "More need to invest in the R&D for mass production"

Need to get the price under $50k USD.  

Edited by KhunLA

Misleading posts criticize electric cars over coal-produced power

Posts on social media suggest electric cars do not help lower climate-changing emissions because people rely on coal power to charge them. This is misleading; data shows that they still produce fewer emissions over their lifespan than gasoline-powered vehicles, even in regions where coal is burned to produce electricity for the grid.     https://factcheck.afp.com/doc.afp.com.9ZD7BV

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

If that is the price ‘somewhere’ it is about the same as an E300e here in Thailand.

Hence the issue with anything imported.  I'm trying to justify to myself one of the ticker car EVs, as a 2nd knock around town car when it's raining  ???? or simply just to have since EV and we'll have excess with the solar.

And they are only ฿3-4-500k (iMIO - Wuling - Pocco), which sadly is 2X probably what they sell in China for.   Or simply upgrade our present MG ZS, for an additional ฿6-700k, if getting 6 or 500k when selling.

The new house build, including land, wall & solar comes in at about half the EQS (UK price) ????

Edited by KhunLA

12 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

No Price on the Thai website for Mercedes EQS that I could find

https://www.mercedes-benz.co.th/en/passengercars/mercedes-benz-cars/models/eqs/saloon-v297

I think the Chinese made BMW iX3 would probably be better value

BMW iX3.jpg

I don't think any foreigner, or very few, who would spend Thai prices for these high end EV, would even be living in Thailand.  If I had that much extra cash to waste of 4 wheels, I doubt if I would be here.

1.2 mill for the ZS would be about my max for 4 wheels, and that's pushing it.  It really is just a machine to get from point A to B for me.  700k for the ICE version was a big leap for me, but for a mere 100k over what c r a p other dealers were offering in the 600k range, then the ZS was a bargain.

Edited by KhunLA

Thai government has a 3 phase plan to encourage both manufacture and ownership of EVs.... as one of rhe top ten world motor industries they cat afford to miss out.

Here  are the latest measures...

https://www.reuters.com/technology/thailand-approves-incentives-promote-ev-shift-2022-02-15/

PS I personally hope I will never be old enough to own a Mercedes

Edited by kwilco
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The deal I got was completely free servicing for 5 years. I have had one service so far and it cost nothing - they washed the car inside and out and left the car on a charger (for free).

At home I was able to monitor the state of charge on the app on my phone and when it had sufficient charge to get home I got a lift down to the dealer to pick the car up. 

I for one will never buy another ICE car and why would I as all new development is being put into EVs and not ICE:

Six major automakers — including Ford, Mercedes-Benz, General Motors and Volvo — and 30 national governments have pledged to phasing out sales of new gasoline and diesel-powered vehicles by 2040 worldwide, and by 2035 in “leading markets.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

The deal I got was completely free servicing for 5 years. I have had one service so far and it cost nothing - they washed the car inside and out and left the car on a charger (for free).

Does "free servicing" mean anything for an EV, there is literally nothing to service.

No oil change, no consumables, no transmission, no radiator, some don't even have brake shoes to wear out.

MG gives free servicing for all vehicles I believe.  Free servicing = no labor charge, at least for us, and oil changes (pay for oil/filter) or whatever, for length of warranty.  5 yrs for us, though changed to 4 yrs, I believe.  EV needing just about nil, ICE simply regular maintenance, oil and tune ups.  5yr / 120k kms, I think. 

Biggest Australia Coal Plant to Shut Early as Renewables Surge

Australia’s biggest coal-fired power plant is set to close seven years early, the latest fossil fuel retirement prompted by a surge of renewables that have driven down electricity prices.

Origin Energy Ltd. could shutter the Eraring facility, in a coal-mining region north of Sydney, as soon as August 2025 with the plant’s financial viability under threat. It follows rival AGL Energy Ltd., which last week announced plans to bring forward the closure of two of its coal plants.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-16/coal-power-exit-in-australia-accelerates-as-origin-eyes-shutdown

• Like 2

V2L vehicle-to-load

V2H vehicle-to-home 

V2G vehicle-to-grid

Coming to an EV near you soon.  

I have solar and home batteries but this month has been very wet and I have used 2 kWh (units) from PEA. If I had a 70kWh wheeled battery with V2L I could trickle  charge my home batteries on a particularly wet day. I don't have V2L currently but it will definitely be on my next EV

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Just read that Formula E racing are looking at hydrogen fuel cells for the Gen4 car.
EVs may be an evolutionary dead end unless battery tech makes a huge leap soon.

I am currently charging my EV at home from my solar panels  - can't make Hydrogen at home

icon5.thumb.jpg.12010022e8c7c9d6ac24541903f80c10.jpg

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

I am currently charging my EV at home from my solar panels  - can't make Hydrogen at home

I'm not seeing H as a practical, alternative energy source for vehicles.  Solar & better battery tech (size, weight, range) will be 'our' future, next 10 yrs at least.

With solar now being affordable for most new homeowners, it's a no brainer.  More an education thing, as many still think it's expensive to install.  ROI can be as little as 5 yrs if you abuse the AC or have an EV.

Solar NOW.gif

Not a reality yet, unlike the headliner, just thinking about it, but it's a start.  They're not exactly going big with the incentives either.  Actually looks a lot like last time simply cutting the 8% 'excise tax', and maybe some import tax.

Headliner and amount they are bouncing around, and I'm guessing, it is the 8% excise tax.  As if applied to the MG ZS EV, 8% off the current  ฿1.2m price tag, drops it only ฿100k.  Bit of a pittance actually, compared to the last excise tax promo, took off the same ฿100k, but off our ฿530k Mazda2, for an over 20% incentive.  ????

Need to up that to 20% for me to buy in.

https://www.reuters.com/technology/thailand-approves-incentives-promote-ev-shift-2022-02-15/

"Thailand approves incentives to promote EV shift"

"Thanakorn did not give further details on the incentives, which he said would need to be worked out with the energy ministry.

According to earlier media reports, the package will help reduce the price of each EV by between 70,000 baht ($2,165) and 150,000 baht "

Same info in BkkPost, which can't quote on AN

Bloomberg, floating around a few more numbers:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-02-14/thailand-mulls-tax-cuts-subsidies-to-spur-electric-car-adoption

... "Subsidies to range between 70,000 baht and 150,000 baht for cars and trucks

... EV motorcycles to get 18,000 baht subsidy

... Proposal would cut excise tax to 2% from 8% for cars

... Waive excise tax for trucks

... Reduce import duty by as much as 40% for completely built cars during 2022-2023

... Waive import duty for key parts of completely knocked down vehicles including battery and traction motors

... Cars priced below 2 million baht set to get the most benefits"

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

If the price of petrol (E85) keeps on going up as it has this & last month, I'll be getttng an EV car much sooner than my past thoughts. 

Price in Jan 2021 was 18 ish for E85

Price yesterday was 28 ish ... <deleted>

Had a New Kia Soul First Edition since May 2021 in the UK and I’m more than happy with it, despite being a petrol head with some classic fully restored cars in the garages.  
I only charge at home on cheap overnight electric (5p per kWh) and we’ve done around 13K miles since new. 
we get around 300miles from a charge and regularly do 270mile journeys without charging anywhere. 
Having lived in Thailand, I wouldn’t consider getting an EV there as the infrastructure is pretty much non existent. 
We’ll keep it for 3 years, then trade it in for another model, depending on what new models come online then. 

Edited by Dazkkk
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Dazkkk said:

Having lived in Thailand, I wouldn’t consider getting an EV there as the infrastructure is pretty much non existent. 

Incomplete map of 3 of the larger charging station providers:

Untitled.png

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Dazkkk said:

We’ll keep it for 3 years, then trade it in for another model, depending on what new models come online then. 

Hogwash and poppycock!

Edited by macahoom
  • Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 3:38 AM, JustAnotherHun said:

...and not even available yet. There are TWO prototypes right now. Flying taxis seem to be closer to be launched.

I'll wait for the flux capacitor ????

Think of the money you'll save on charging .

There's a Taiwanese company called Gogoro. It's a motorbike manufacture, but more importantly, it also manufactures swappable batteries. And it's manufacturing not just for themselves but for major players like Yamaha. Anyone know if they're available yet in Thailand?

Taiwan soon to have more Gogoro electric scooter battery swap stations than gas stations

https://electrek.co/2022/01/12/taiwan-soon-to-have-more-gogoro-electric-scooter-battery-swap-stations-than-gas-stations/

Yamaha launches striking new electric scooter that uses Gogoro’s swappable batteries

https://electrek.co/2022/01/19/yamaha-launches-striking-new-electric-scooter-that-uses-gogoros-swappable-batteries/

• Like 2

"Anyone know if they're available yet in Thailand?"

Can't even get EVs, cars or scooter into the mainstream of things.  Battey swapping is not happening for a long time here.

Thailand = 3rd with many modern things.

IMHO, will not make it to 'developing' or 1st world, within the next decade or later, in my opinion

Which TBO, I prefer, as it's part of it's character.   For myself anyway, although, would not want to be one of the thousands living here without the basics of electricity or running water at the house.

Edited by KhunLA