Thailand to introduce 500 baht tourist entry fee from Jan 1st

webfact

18 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Who should be begging the people to come? The unelected PM and his generals? They have made all their money and are still making it, so why should they care?

Well if he wants to stay in power he needs the people to not be homeless and starving.

The Thai people have been incredibly patient with his inept, illegal, immoral administration but even they have a breaking point.

• Thanks 1

On 10/5/2021 at 9:21 AM, bkkcanuck8 said:

I cannot see the ticket issuers for airlines having the option to collect taxes by nationality...  I expect if you arrive, it will be embedded in the ticket price.

It will be collected by machine before immigration and apply to foreigners only. 

Foreigners will have to present the stub at the immigration counter. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, pjmorton said:

Seems to me if the government and not just the press are calling it a "Tourist Entry Fee", then Thai citizens would probably be exempt, but we'll have to wait and see how it plays out.

and returning expats? They are not tourists.

18 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

We are all millionaire here so what you are talking about! Ask Neeraham , he has over 100000 bitcoin and counting! BTW hes half Thai but want spend time whit us, who are only one million ????

Neeranam is Scottish, not half Thai.

12 minutes ago, skorp13 said:

I remember when they used to have this fee then it got buried in the plane ticket. Now it's back and on top of that. Way to say "Welcome Back" Thailand LOL

It was an Airport Tax - 500 baht for International and 30 baht for Domestic departures. 

It was a proper pain in the backside for those who’d spent their last lot of local currency on the way to the airport. 

As you wrote, it became buried in the tickets. 

Lots of countries have a ‘Arrival Tax’... on the surface I have no objection to this scheme and think ‘on the surface’ it is a good idea, but I just do not see any way that those in positions of power will siphon from the trough.

There is a consistent and relentless greed of those in positions of decision making power to create schemes which generate cashflow - their sole intention is not for benefit, but for profit... its all masked up in theatre and utter lies. 

The additional facet of this of course is the optics.... Desperate for more tourists Thailand doesn’t even attempt to highlight its disregard and greed in charging them more as soon as they step off a plane. 

Thailand needs to start ‘promoting itself properly’ with ‘welcome back’ tourists schemes, discounts, promotions, free taxi rides from the airports (as an example).. anything like this to bring people back and spending in the local shops, stores, massage places, restaurants, cafes, guest houses, hotels etc etc... 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It was an Airport Tax - 500 baht for International and 30 baht for Domestic departures. 

It was a proper pain in the backside for those who’d spent their last lot of local currency on the way to the airport. 

As you wrote, it became buried in the tickets. 

Lots of countries have a ‘Arrival Tax’... on the surface I have no objection to this scheme and think ‘on the surface’ it is a good idea, but I just do not see any way that those in positions of power will siphon from the trough.

There is a consistent and relentless greed of those in positions of decision making power to create schemes which generate cashflow - their sole intention is not for benefit, but for profit... its all masked up in theatre and utter lies. 

The additional facet of this of course is the optics.... Desperate for more tourists Thailand doesn’t even attempt to highlight its disregard and greed in charging them more as soon as they step off a plane. 

Thailand needs to start ‘promoting itself properly’ with ‘welcome back’ tourists schemes, discounts, promotions, free taxi rides from the airports (as an example).. anything like this to bring people back and spending in the local shops, stores, massage places, restaurants, cafes, guest houses, hotels etc etc... 

During covid there has been a whole new set of travellers come of age.

These are people of the present not the past and they may well fancy a trip to Thailand.

500 baht is not going to influence their decision in the slightest, they are looking for the Thailand experience.

It is really sad that there are those who continually run Thailand down, usually people who must have long forgotten their first visit and the jaw dropping newness.

Tourists will still choose Thailand, despite the best efforts from those for whom it has apparently lost its allure.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tonypandy said:

If its done in the price of ticketing then Thais would also be charged, foreign airlines are not going to carryout this extra work and be expected to determine between foreign and Thai customers 

GDS do have the ability to use the nationality field as a base of the fare calculation algorithm.  There are some countries whose carriers offer fares that are nationality restricted - and that’s how it’s done. IF you populate a passport of that country’s (or an eligible country if more than one), then the restricted fare of X will populate. If you use a passport of other non-eligible countries, then the fare of Y will populate. 

Another way they could do this is to (outsource) set up their own freestanding online payment channel and make all non-exempt people use the payment channel to pre-pay the tax/fee.  Once paid, a receipt is emailed/SMSed to you bearing your name/passport. That receipt would then be required at arrival - and failure to have it at arrival could then trigger a penalty of X baht. 

In totality, I still think that baking it into the fare is the best/easiest way as that essentially keeps the RTG out of the day-to-day management of it; the management gets shifted (including most of the costs) to the various airlines, the major GDSs and the major payment channels like ARC (Airline Reporting Corporation) and UATP. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 473geo said:

During covid there has been a whole new set of travellers come of age.

These are people of the present not the past and they may well fancy a trip to Thailand.

500 baht is not going to influence their decision in the slightest, they are looking for the Thailand experience.

It is really sad that there are those who continually run Thailand down, usually people who must have long forgotten their first visit and the jaw dropping newness.

Tourists will still choose Thailand, despite the best efforts from those for whom it has apparently lost its allure.

i agree.. While no one is going to “like” a new tax… I don’t think that a 500 tax/fee is going to make any measurable difference between someone choosing another destination and not Thailand. ESPECIALLY IF it’s hard baked into fares… 

Those that even know about it (which i’ll bet will be the minority to begin with) may grouse and complain; but in the end, i would be stunned if it did have any measurable impact on the number of arrivals. 

• Like 2

On 10/5/2021 at 8:45 AM, bkkcanuck8 said:

The funny thing is that we see the 700 baht departure tax + the 300 baht entry tax now (total 1000) as something outrageously Thai... but it is quite common for different countries to have these hidden fees that most people never see and never know about... (just the names differ).  Australia has a $45AUD tax for international flights out, Canada has up to a $45 Airport Improvement Fee (depending on airport you exit from),  UK has a fee that ranges from £13 and £194 (depending on class etc.).  If it makes you happy the Thai government could just call it a 1,000baht movement fee like Australia does (and the details of what it is for are buried in the budgets). 

Quite. But in these countries the bureaucracy is beholden to the rule for of law, even if the western pollies are a pack of mongrels, not much above the clown show here.

16 hours ago, possum1931 said:

Expats are not tourists, but I bet they will have to pay.

I would expect the travel agents (or whatever ticketing entities are called these days) will have a simple algorithm like:

If passenger does not hold Thai passport add 500b

If they want to make a show of accommodating foreigners of non-tourist visa status they will have a process for refunding the fee: anticipate a lot of forms to fill out, multiple photocopies of anything printed, and possibly a (non-refundable) admin fee.  And then a very loooooooooooooong waiting period.  It might arrive in time for the wedding of your now infant child.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

It will be collected by machine before immigration and apply to foreigners only. 

Foreigners will have to present the stub at the immigration counter. 

I can't see that working, what currency would that be, and card payment can also be a problem.

More likely to be like before, on departure.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

They are being educated by masters in extortion.

From Nov 1st at Heathrow it will will cost £5 to drop someone off.

That’s been the case in

Manchester for a couple of years and something similar in Sydney where I am from for probably 15 years both drop off and pick up.

4 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

or dont bother coming back   for gods sake its only 500 baht

I was only being facetious towards the poster, compared to most countries most things here are still pretty cheap, there are continual complaints on this site yet they never leave to return to their utopian homeland,

I am happy and will be remaining.

• Thanks 1

He did the math in the BBN article saying that 1 million tourists would mean 500 million baht.

and who said  he wasn't smart??   Actually this is a great way to get there Chinese to pay for the Corona Virus leak to the world, so every country in the world should level a $50 in/out tax on the Chinese............   image.gif.99350d3ab682cf4f1bc9abee3ce7d52e.gif 

Edited by TunnelRat69