Mexico, Thailand and more could be removed from red travel list

webfact

3 hours ago, crazykopite said:

Would be very surprised if Thailand was dropped from the Red List even the Thai AZ is not recognised in the U.K. and the Chinese vaccines are a no go . Thailand shot itself in the foot by being stubborn by deciding to go down there own route over vaccines I suppose it was all down to if they had , then no nice thick brown envelopes would of been enriching the already rich in Thailand.

I see it differently for the recognition of Thai AZ in the UK. From reading the UKgov website what I understand is that (amongst other factors) they consider 2 things :

1) The vaccine -  Vaxzevria (The Thai AZ) is an "approved" vaccine per UKgov website.

2) The vaccine delivery programme - Thailand is NOT approved. I expect they have concerns over the integrity and validity of vaccine delivery (ID of recipients, watering down of doses, incorrect storage etc etc) and probably also the opportunity for fake vaccine certifications to be obtained....difficult to overcome these structural issues in the short-term. The likely red list exit route for Thailand is for cases to drop-off significantly.

For example, I believe if I was innoculated with Thai produced AZ (approved vaccine) in Malaysia (an approved programme) then I would be considered fully vaccinated for UK entry purposes. 

Edited by realfunster
Typo

6 hours ago, smedly said:

lack of testing

lack of gnome testing

vaccine choice

mix and match without proper study

dose reduction of 75% and unapproved admin without proper study

manipulation of data that fools nobody

WHO says 5% positive of those tested indicates covid under control. To keep daily new case numbers low, Thailand seems not to do random testing (only suspects) and this shows up as a 26% positive rate. As noted above "manipulation of data. Opening the country should be based on the WHO criteria not the daily new case that can be manipulated by limiting test numbers. 

• Haha 1

Was under the impression that a few months back the UK donated 400k of their own UK manufactured Astra Zeneca to Thailand and along with 1 million Pfizer donated from USA stock these were used to vaccinate us farangs here over the last few months, so they should be accepted by the UK gov.

47 minutes ago, Gjk7777 said:

Thanks for the link, Not surprised really, can't see Thailand coming off this year to be honest..

Definitely,,there must be 1000's of fellas who haven't cleared there chest for 2 years straining at the leash to get Back here before Xmas, noway the UK wants all them flooding back into the UK in January with possible infections. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Gjk7777 said:

They meet tomorrow, so how can the BBC have the list?

Comment removed - this whole thread appears to have followed an incorrect assumption - see my reply to @rbpetersbelow.

Edited by VBF

7 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

I did some digging when it went red into two subjects 1) AZ acceptance and 2) red list. What I stumbled on was the red list has a scientific committee doing assessments and they concluded that Thailand was not undertaking/sharing enough reliable covid data for a positive assessment to be made.

That's what I've been thinking - the basic premise being "If we're not sure, assume the worst", which, as much as i don't want it to be, is actually reasonable! ????

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BLACKJACK2 said:

BBC has printed the new list and Thailand still red.

That is not the covid red list that is the general Foreign Office travel advice list. If you read the post from the Foriegn Office they say they are going to remove the covid situation from their travel advice list and futher updates will be made this week. This list affects your ability to get travel insurance to the countries on the list.

The Department of Transport issues the Red list.

Edited by rbpeters
updated iinfo
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rbpeters said:

That is not the covid red list that is the general Foreign Office travel advice list. If you read the post from the Foriegn Office they say they are going to remove the covid situation from their travel advice list and futher updates will be made this week. This list affects your ability to get travel insurance to the countries on the list.

You're right!

It actually says "The government is also expected to announce on Thursday changes to the red list. "

Therefore this whole thread is based on an incorrect assumption (hope?) and we've all jumped the gun!

A matter of hours now before the official announcement.  Then it might change....but I doubt it.

Edited by VBF
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, lujanit said:

From another article today

"The removal from the red list of Mexico, South Africa and Thailand would send "a confidence boost across the sector and across consumers.

Mr Charles said it is "very hard to justify" why any countries are on the list "when there are no new variants of concern there".

Delta is no longer a variant of concern?

Beta variant - it's all about the Beta variant.

• Haha 1

Here is a link to the current red list on the UK Government website : https://www.gov.uk/guidance/red-list-of-countries-and-territories

At the moment it hasn't been updated since October 4, when it's updated the date at the top of that page will change.

Based on past announcements they tend to come late in the afternoon, UK time.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

Don’t see the Thailand government brooding over this. Perhaps not critical. Thailand will be ready whenever UK is ready.  

Nah no one cares.

Tourism 20% of GDP but let's make it as difficult as possible to get tourists back.

CCP won't be sending their flag following hordes anytime soon, so better to let the tourist infrastructure fall to pieces and huge debt racked up on everything from a tuk tuk to a car.

Keep the peasantry in their place and destute.

Great plan. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Nah no one cares.

Tourism 20% of GDP but let's make it as difficult as possible to get tourists back.

CCP won't be sending their flag following hordes anytime soon, so better to let the tourist infrastructure fall to pieces and huge debt racked up on everything from a tuk tuk to a car.

Keep the peasantry in their place and destute.

Great plan. 

Stick to UK and not divert. TAT rather brood over the 34% tourists from China and India and even the 10% Malaysians than the 2.6% from UK. End of day, up to the UK establishment to decide on their color coding. Thailand don’t seem to treat this with any urgency. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Stick to UK and not divert. TAT rather brood over the 34% tourists from China and India and even the 10% Malaysians than the 2.6% from UK. End of day, up to the UK establishment to decide on their color coding. Thailand don’t seem to treat this with any urgency. 

Thailand aren't treating anything with any urgency.

14 hours ago, ukrules said:

That's the dream for Thailand.

It almost certainly won't happen due to the presence of a certain Beta (South Africa) variant in Thailand - that's what I heard.

I will be very surprised if Thailand is not one of the very short list of countries which remains on the list.

1 - Due to the variant

and

2 - Due to their choice of vaccines

That said, I like surprises yet I'm rarely surprised.

Due to the money making red tape that visors have to endure .. wake up and smell the coffee .. The old are telling the new that the smiles are superficial

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

You got a link for that statistic?

9 minutes ago, Adywhu said:

Just updated and Thailand still on redlist.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58822439

As reported many times in this thread, this has nothing to do with the Red list. It's a completely different list of countries with reference to insurance.  I can't believe how the governments of the world have managed to sell us on this 'pandemic' and at the same time make the rules so complicated.

9 minutes ago, DaLa said:

As reported many times in this thread, this has nothing to do with the Red list. It's a completely different list of countries with reference to insurance.  I can't believe how the governments of the world have managed to sell us on this 'pandemic' and at the same time make the rules so complicated.

Yip, its a snapshot of global government incompetence....and if it were

a more virulent pandemic, we would have been sunk globaally by now...at least this was a dry run even though a lot of deaths....it lays out how unprepeared most countries were for pandemic control...

• Like 1

Mexico and Thailand have not been removed from the "Red List".

I remember many people that couldn't get into Thailand just went to Mexico.

Lots of reports that despite it being fun there was one thing that couldn't compare.

That was the beautiful ladies of Thailand.