25-year-old Chonburi man dies after crashing his motorbike into a truck in Mueang Chonburi

webfact

tp.jpg

PHOTO: Wisarn Sangajroen / Top News

By Goong Nang(GN)

Chonburi – A 25-year-old Thai man has been pronounced dead at the scene after he crashed his motorbike into a parked truck in Mueang Chonburi.

The Samet Police were notified of the accident earlier this week on Phraya Sajja Road in the Samet sub-district.

Emergency responders arrived at the scene to find the body of Mr. Amnuay Chaideesom, 25, lying in the middle of the Phraya Sajja Road. Severe wounds were found on his face and he had broken his neck as a result of the accident.

Nearby, first response teams found Amnuay’s damaged motorbike lying on the road and a slightly damaged green soil truck parked on the side of the road.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/10/07/25-year-old-chonburi-man-dies-after-crashing-his-motorbike-into-a-truck-in-mueang-chonburi/

PattayaNews.jpg

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

in the  full article the truck driver said he was  parked in the correct  place  yet the photo shows  him partially obstructing a cycle  lane , seems  an  odd  place for a  cycle  lane anwayeEld0646-672827-768x432-2.jpg

Edited by Rampant Rabbit

12 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

in the  full article the truck driver said he was  parked in the correct  place  yet the photo shows  him partially obstructing a cycle  lane , seems  an  odd  place for a  cycle  lane anwayeEld0646-672827-768x432-2.jpg

Yep... Truck parked in the ‘Wrong Place’....  That just comes down to education, people think just stopping their car anywhere on the side of the road is ‘correct parking’.... 

Then we have the motorcyclists who was riding down the Bicycle lane, clearly not looking where he was going. 

As is so often... So many accidents are avoidable when one of two parties is alert and not doing anything silly - but as is so common, two parties each contributing their part to an utterly avoidable incident  (I refuse to call this an accident a not paying attention when you are riding is not an accident, its just stupidity).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

(apologies for clipping the quote: I wanted to deal with this exact issue). 

Their eye’s are open, but they just don’t see. Almost as if their brain does not believe what their eyes are seeing. 

I’m astonished at the amount of times someone pulls out in front of me and I have to hit the brakes. 

I’m astonished at the amount of times someone looks directly into my eyes before pulling out in front of me. 

I think they want to pull out so badly that their body is simply on autopilot and they are not looking. 

On my motorcycle the other day - a lady just started changing lanes as I was about to pass her (I was probably in her blind spot) - I revved my engine which made her jump so much she nearly swerved into a car on the otherside which was undertaking her, she had quite a wobble and nearly fell off - That wasn’t deliberate on my part (to make her nearly fall off) but if I didn’t do anything she would have side swiped me. 

Riding around Thailand I have found other motorcyclists to present by far the greatest risk.

I’m astonished at the amount of people riding around without any concept of self preservation, we see this in the 75% of 25,000 per year road deaths are motorcyclists - most of whom have very likely met their fate through their own lack of observation or the idiotic actions of another motorcyclist. 

Fatalism, mektoub! If it happens, it is because it was written and nothing would have prevented that. Add to that the karma thing and you get the explanation for their behavior. 

1 minute ago, Anant72 said:

Fatalism, mektoub! If it happens, it is because it was written and nothing would have prevented that. Add to that the karma thing and you get the explanation for their behavior. 

Not really.....  I see that people have fatalistic attitudes after an event... 

But look at how upset people get when they lose a loved one.

Point a gun at someones head and they won’t say ‘up to you’.

No one wants to due, no one is happy to due or comfortable with the idea of dieing.

The fear and unwelcoming of death is the same here as it is in many of our home nations, the fatalistic and Karma attitudes we see towards life in Thailand (its the cards they were dealt) is just a acceptance of the situation they have no control over.... but given a choice no one chooses death, they (bad riders / drivers) are just uneducated of the consequences of their behaviour. 

• Like 1

Many of these cycle lanes aren't very well thought out, especially with the lack of parking in towns.  And seriously, how do you not see that truck.

Maybe more to the story, and he got cut off into the truck, and obviously didn't bounce very well.

• Confused 1

Chances are this guy was either being reckless, he did not have his eyes on the road, or something went wrong with his bike, in which case, had he been more careful, he could have allowed a margin of error. 

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, nor enforcement of the law.

When I was growing up, we took drivers education courses. They showed us horrendous films, or semi trucks plowing into cars, and literally obliterating everything in their path. They also showed us graphic images of head on collisions. 120mph impacts. Even as a young kid, it made quite an impression. It was horrific, and it was hard to get those images out of your head afterwards. But, it left a lasting impression, and when I started driving, I understood it was serious business, and that it was a very dangerous thing to do.

I see people driving here, with their families in the car, and doing things, and taking the kinds of risks no rational or sane person with common sense would do. What for? To gain one minute? Why take those risks? What is the logic? Often, when I am cruising along at 100kph, someone cuts right in front of me. Or someone comes out from the side road, right in front of me. I have to slam on my brakes, or change lanes to avoid him. I look in my rearview mirror, and there is nobody behind me. So, if he had waited two seconds, he would have had completely safe passage onto the highway. What gives? Where is the intelligence, caution, and prudence? Where is the common sense? What about just the survival instinct?

I have been riding bikes for 50 years. Without any serious accidents. A few minor ones over the years. Riding a bike here is very dangerous. If not the highest, one of the highest fatality rates in the world. And an accident here can be very costly, to your person. Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have three friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last several years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own years later, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. The third one is a close friend, who was hit by a sidecar, and nearly lost his leg. 11 operations later, he can walk, but with a limp, and the leg caused him constant problems, many years later. And always wear the best helmet you can afford. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

in the  full article the truck driver said he was  parked in the correct  place  yet the photo shows  him partially obstructing a cycle  lane , seems  an  odd  place for a  cycle  lane anway

This has nothing to do with how the truck was parked.

Daylight, straight road, good conditions. There is a huge, well visible, static truck in front of you. How do you manage to crash into it at full speed is beyond me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Daylight, straight road, good conditions. There is a huge, well visible, static truck in front of you. How do you manage to crash into it at full speed is beyond me.

I am pointing out he is  obstructing a cycle  lane as he  pointed out he was  NOT parked  illegally, so guess its  ok to park   partly  blocking a  cycle  lane

14 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

n the  full article the truck driver said he was  parked in the correct  place  yet the photo shows  him partially obstructing a cycle  lane , seems  an  odd  place for a  cycle  lane anway

Is 'no parking' assumed where there is a cycling lane, because there is no kerb marking there? We get a report a day now of this type of accidents, what are we dealing with, too many trucks parking up on highways or too many gormless people, who can't see a parked truck in front of them?

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

Is 'no parking' assumed where there is a cycling lane, because there is no kerb marking there? We get a report a day now of this type of accidents, what are we dealing with, too many trucks parking up on highways or too many gormless people, who can't see a parked truck in front of them?

well im dealing with it  being an odd  place  to stick a  cycle  lane  and that in most countries to park on it would  be  an  offence, I dont have to explain why a cretin drives into a  stationary truck do i?

1 minute ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

well im dealing with it  being an odd  place  to stick a  cycle  lane  and that in most countries to park on it would  be  an  offence, I dont have to explain why a cretin drives into a  stationary truck do i?

I wish someone would.

I often think of the cycle lane that runs along soi Yume, often used by disabled people heading from Father Ray's place to Big-CX and impeded by parked vehicles all along the way. Hoping people will not park on them is optimistic and I am afraid I am unaware of the parking restrictions applied to cycling lanes in most countries.... bit like the no cycles (motorised or not), on pedestrian pavements. 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I wish someone would.

I often think of the cycle lane that runs along soi Yume, often used by disabled people heading from Father Ray's place to Big-CX and impeded by parked vehicles all along the way. Hoping people will not park on them is optimistic and I am afraid I am unaware of the parking restrictions applied to cycling lanes in most countries.... bit like the no cycles (motorised or not), on pedestrian pavements. 

i  think its only  an offence when youkill someone here! debatable

16 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:
16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yep... Truck parked in the ‘Wrong Place’....  That just comes down to education, people think just stopping their car anywhere on the side of the road is ‘correct parking’.... 

How can you blame a driver who parked as close to the curb as he could in order to deliver his heavy load? Unbelievable. It is a long straight wide road, with plenty of room for a motorcyclist to get past. If he was paying attention, which clearly he wasn't.

He was also quoted as saying there was another truck parked behind me, i don't understand how he managed to hit me and not the one behind.  

7 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

He was also quoted as saying there was another truck parked behind me, i don't understand how he managed to hit me and not the one behind.  

A driver once sailed his car through the top of a tree opposite my house. Thai drivers are capable of anything, sometimes defying the laws of physics.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

When I was growing up, we took drivers education courses. They showed us horrendous films, or semi trucks plowing into cars, and literally obliterating everything in their path. They also showed us graphic images of head on collisions. 120mph impacts. Even as a young kid, it made quite an impression. It was horrific, and it was hard to get those images out of your head afterwards. But, it left a lasting impression, and when I started driving, I understood it was serious business, and that it was a very dangerous thing to do.

Back about 1960, I lived down the street from a lady who helped film/produce films like that in Ohio, USA.  Saw some in driver Ed.  Gruesome.  Some of these are on YouTube. 

Signal 30 (1959),  Mechanized Death (1961), Wheels of Tragedy (1963), Carrier or Killer (1965), Death on the Highway (1965), The Third Killer (1966), and more!

image.png.392f62bf9bf7088d83862db43417f690.png

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Thank you. There is no way this guy was looking where he was going. You could not miss that truck. Whether or not the truck was illegally parked is barely relevant. We are fighting for our lives out there. The least we can do is keep our eyes on the road, and if on a motorbike especially, always be on the lookout for obstacles, crazy drivers, animals, etc. It is about skill, vigilance, attention, consciousness, and awareness. 

8 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

one minute, try one second and then pull  over to buy food, thats the level of stupidity here.

I cannot remember the number of times someone has been driving 5 feet behind me, going 100kph plus, itching to pass me. I yield my way, they pass me, at great speed, and then two minutes later I see them turn off the road. Unbelievable. Such anxiety. Such a lack of patience. Such immaturity and recklessness. Darwin was definitely right. 

Another moron off the road for good, just hope he didn't have time to procreate, I've actually seen dashcam footage of a motorcyclist driving into the back of a moving lorry, I said lorry as opposed to truck because you may have thought pickup truck.

I mean how stupid does one have to be to drive into the back of a bloody great lorry ???