Thai netizens fierily debate Pfizer vaccine for students as anti-vaxxers emerge

webfact

2 minutes ago, Denim said:

Yes. Went for first pfizer jab today. Quite a few expats and a thousand or more school kids.

Took 4 hours start to finish.

appreciate, thus hope they will call my kid, she was registered with (at) her school

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02483-w

In late 1987, Robert Malone performed a landmark experiment. He mixed strands of messenger RNA with droplets of fat, to create a kind of molecular stew. Human cells bathed in this genetic gumbo absorbed the mRNA, and began producing proteins from it1.

Realizing that this discovery might have far-reaching potential in medicine, Malone, a graduate student at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies in La Jolla, California, later jotted down some notes, which he signed and dated. If cells could create proteins from mRNA delivered into them, he wrote on 11 January 1988, it might be possible to “treat RNA as a drug”. Another member of the Salk lab signed the notes, too, for posterity. Later that year, Malone’s experiments showed that frog embryos absorbed such mRNA2. It was the first time anyone had used fatty droplets to ease mRNA’s passage into a living organism.

And Malone also says that mRNA should not be administered to young adults and children.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, johng said:

Good ????  debate is what is needed...not censorship,de platforming and ridicule of those with a differing opinion  who may in the end turn out to be proven correct !

4 hours ago, timendres said:

Indeed. Tired of the "anti-vax" label. People who are a bit dubious of a vaccine technology that failed to garner FDA approval for 15 years, but it suddenly "safe", are simply being prudent. I have had many "traditional" vaccines in my life, but this new technology is something for which I have a "wait and see" approach. Maybe those blindly lining up for the vaccines should be labeled "anti-critical-thinkers".

Hear Hear

Freedom of Speech should not be Curtailed (within agreed limits)

Or you will have no Freedom.

Article 10 of the Human Rights Act: Freedom of expression

Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's more than a little ironic that those who are refusing the Sinovac-AZ "cocktail" while awaiting Pfizer or Moderna, - and therefore have not yet been vaccinated, are calling those who have already had the Sinovac-AZ shots, but are doubting the safety of the mRNA ones, "antivaxxers".  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

This isn't new technology.

Get out from under that rock.

mRNA technology has been around since the 1960's.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02483-w

Thanks! That was a great article; just full of information on the whole history of mRNA.

It even had some humor:

"Both Ingmar Hoerr, at CureVac, and Uğur Şahin, at BioNTech, told Nature that, after learning of what Gilboa had done, they wanted to do the same, but by administering mRNA into the body directly.

Hoerr was the first to achieve success. While at the University of Tübingen in Germany, he reported in 2000 that direct injections could elicit an immune response in mice12. He created CureVac (also based in Tübingen) that year. But few scientists or investors seemed interested. At one conference where Hoerr presented early mouse data, he says, “there was a Nobel prizewinner standing up in the first row saying, ‘This is completely <deleted> what you’re telling us here — completely <deleted>’.” (Hoerr declined to name the Nobel laureate.)"

I wonder how that prizewinner is feeling now?

46 minutes ago, timendres said:

I see. So how many mRNA vaccines were deployed prior to COVID-19, or for that matter, approved by the FDA? Thought so.

You won't be able to do much without being vaccinated.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, johng said:

Good ????  debate is what is needed...not censorship, de platforming and ridicule of those with a differing opinion  who may in the end turn out to be proven correct !

OTOH the anti-vaxxers are doing the same thing to the pro-vaxxers who may also be proven correct.

As an aside my wife and I explained to our 17 year old son the pros and cons of getting vaccinated and let him make the decision. our 2 neighbours did the same with their daughters aged 13 and 16. The result was that our son and the oldest daughter next door got their Pfizer vaccinations this morning and the younger daughter will get vaccinated next week as she goes to a different school.

The only effect on our son was a bit of soreness around the jab site.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

Because this is how genuine scientific knowledge among the general public should be disseminated.  By non-scientists debating.

But where do the non-scientific debaters get their information from?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, billd766 said:

OTOH the anti-vaxxers are doing the same thing to the pro-vaxxers who may also be proven correct.

I don't see pro vax  statements being censored  or pro vax scientist being de-platformed and branded as quacks  even though they may well be proven correct.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Dogmatix said:

Thailand has a lot of anti-vaxxers.  They were just not very prominent when most people were stepping over each other trying to get vaccines.

People who do not want vaccines do not become prevalent until after most have had their first dose.  You will see the numbers of those who do not want to be vaccinated.

USA seems to have the biggest proportion of people who do not want to be vaccinated, but I could be wrong on that.  

• Like 1