Oil Price Hike and Baht Depreciation Worry Thai Government

snoop1130

7 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

But I get it ..... we are part of the 'haves' who are being impacted by currency falls and oil price rises, and it's difficult for us to see the world through the eyes of the 'have-nots"

Probably not bother my Mrs as I do all the tank filling....but not all the poor are farmers, and will be impacted. 

The baht move compensates me for the trouble it took putting my 800,000 baht equivalent non-O reserve into a Foreign Currency Deposit account, when the baht was between 30 and 31 to the dollar. And the trouble it always caused at Immigration since I didn't have a conventional bank book.

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

I have lived here 12 years without owning a car, truck, or even a scooter. I walk, bike, use the BTS when in Bangkok, take taxis, and use buses. I did that when I commuted to work for the first six years; I do it now that I'm retired.  Thailand is one place where owning a car is absolutely unnecessary. If you ever have a food emergency, there is usually a 7 Eleven within 200 meters. Outside in the more remote villages, they have shops there, too. Most people live without cars and trucks. People would be healthier, fitter, and probably happier (no road rage) if they organized themselves to use either mass transit or their own muscles to do a bit of walking.

You can come and stay with me in my village and see how you get on without any form of transport.

• Like 1

Too much worry and stress can cause heart attacks.  If the government worries

too much, well....  Yes world oil prices are rising, so cost of fuel, gas or diesel at the pumps

going up should be no surprise. If the baht value goes down a bit, well that is good news for almost all 

except for the people who are rich enough to save money and depend on that money as well.  That would be the rich, and the elites

would it not?

Geezer

• Like 2

12 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Tourism ? Could be 60+ baht to the my Uk £ nobody would still be coming in mass with the silly requirements !

If you bet more in one pocket you will pay more from the other, Newtons laws of physics come into play, or was it Edison and the light at the end of the tunnel

4 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

38+ Thb yesterday at Shell to fill the car with the top 95 brand.  Watching the news this morning Oil prices are heading upwards and with economies struggling this is just another blow to those who have less money from reduced hours or being unemployed.  Sure someone will be along and say they should be using public transport, walk, or ride a bike if they can not afford the fuel, but then how do they get to their jobs which are sometimes to far to walk, and prices for public transport have risen as well.

Oil prices are predicted to rise to about $ 90 per Barrel by the Year end.

The prices at the pumps today will reflect the fact that all the old stock bought in prior to the Gov,t announcement has to be sold before new can be bought in and sold at a lower price.

Already, I am seeing  people that previously used a Pickup Truck to commute to their Factories, using a Motorbike instead.

A rise to $ 90 will hurt when it kicks back in to the real World price after the subsidy ends at the end of the Month

Sad really. To buy a Car, and to look good, and then when the fuel gets a little more expensive having to park the thing up.

36 minutes ago, Almer said:

You can come and stay with me in my village and see how you get on without any form of transport.

I don't know about your situation, so if you need a car, then I guess you need a car. Does everybody in your village have a car? With other people, I do know that they have never tried or even thought of living without some form of motorized transport. Their default position is if they want to look over their property, go shopping, visit a friend or relative on the next street, then they hop in their car. That an alternative may exist does not occur to them.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gold Star said:

Any slight reductions in fossil fuel consumption that may happen in developed world economies, will be offset by increased use in others. The reality is that emerging economies like India, Africa, and SE Asia demand and will require much more energy, and don't have the money to supplement that addition by using expensive renewable energy options, or the infrastructure needed to run it.  

"expensive renewable energy"

You sure about that?

image.png.83259cf197216c9045705275e52a3197.png

https://www.lazard.com/perspective/levelized-cost-of-energy-levelized-cost-of-storage-and-levelized-cost-of-hydrogen/

And the cost of storage is collapsing.

Collapsing battery costs point to ever-declining forecasts for oil demand

https://www.icis.com/asian-chemical-connections/2021/01/collapsing-battery-costs-point-to-ever-declining-forecasts-for-oil-demand/

battery costs are fast approaching the $100 per kwh build cost that will make it just as cheap to buy an EV as it is to buy an Internal combustion engine vehicle. And fuel and maintenance costs are much lower for an EV.

And for power plants much cheaper options are already available. Form Energy is now building a storage plant for a Minnesota power company with a battery that uses Iron/ IronOxide (rust) to store power for the grid.

https://www.energy-storage.news/iron-air-long-duration-battery-startup-form-energy-closes-us240-million-funding-round/

And the rate of EV adoption kees on accelerating ahead of predictions.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-22/shift-to-electric-cars-coming-faster-than-expected-study-shows

Edited by placeholder

3 hours ago, placeholder said:

"expensive renewable energy"

You sure about that?

image.png.83259cf197216c9045705275e52a3197.png

https://www.lazard.com/perspective/levelized-cost-of-energy-levelized-cost-of-storage-and-levelized-cost-of-hydrogen/

And the cost of storage is collapsing.

Collapsing battery costs point to ever-declining forecasts for oil demand

https://www.icis.com/asian-chemical-connections/2021/01/collapsing-battery-costs-point-to-ever-declining-forecasts-for-oil-demand/

battery costs are fast approaching the $100 per kwh build cost that will make it just as cheap to buy an EV as it is to buy an Internal combustion engine vehicle. And fuel and maintenance costs are much lower for an EV.

And for power plants much cheaper options are already available. Form Energy is now building a storage plant for a Minnesota power company with a battery that uses Iron/ IronOxide (rust) to store power for the grid.

https://www.energy-storage.news/iron-air-long-duration-battery-startup-form-energy-closes-us240-million-funding-round/

And the rate of EV adoption kees on accelerating ahead of predictions.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-22/shift-to-electric-cars-coming-faster-than-expected-study-shows

I see thousands of articles like these that are produced supporting renewables, and the imminent demise of fossil fuels, and many demonizing the oil industry. Some may be correct, however the reality that is being missed is that the speed of change in one place is not representative of what is happening NOW on a global scale. It does not consider future energy demand, the places where that will be coming from, and affordability and ease or ability to achieve it using renewables. There are not many Teslas in my village, and I smell many around here now back to cooking with charcoal due to higher gas and electricity prices.

In the last years, climate change activist policies have made it difficult or impossible to build a pipeline, or start a new oil project in many developed countries, particularly Canada. They choose instead to source their oil from someone else's backyard that have low environmental, climate, and humanitarian standards. This tends to landlock Alberta oil sands with one main customer, historically at a steep discount, the US. With the third largest oil reserves in the world, there is only one pipeline that will reach tidewater shortly, and world oil prices. ESG investors fleeing the sector have swung the pendulum to the extreme, and we are only now starting to see it swing back extremely hard with a lack of supply, and higher prices.

Higher fossil fuel prices are starting to affect the cost and production of all the components required to make green energy.  Commodity price spikes are starting to happen now in copper, aluminum, steel, minerals, fertilizers,  transportation bottlenecks, along with electricity blackouts.  Hydrogen feedstock mainly comes from natural gas. Plastics, mining, petrochemicals, medicine, asphalt, concrete, it just doesn't end. 

Faced with a choice, countries will choose not to freeze their populations in the dark rather than adhere to their climate goals. Despite futile attempts to release strategic reserves to control costs, China has made that clear with their recent order to 'obtain energy at all costs'. If they don't, there would likely be a revolution, and likely defeat of the CCP in China.

At this early stage, my thesis has been correct. This has made me a LOT of money in the last year alone, securing a very comfortable retirement for me and my family here in Thailand. 

There will be a lot of losers and a few winners, as we will all watch this man made energy crises unfold.  There is still time to choose what side you want to be on, regardless of your feelings about climate change. Money doesn't care about your feelings.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Gold Star said:
17 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

Perhaps where you live, but here in Thailand, I have not seen one yet.

Does Bangkok count as being in Thailand?  ????  Last month when I went to MedPark Hospital with friends we parked in the mall next to the hospital and there was a spot near the elevator lobby where there were 13 charging stations for Electric Vehicles.    

Do you suspect they were just for show?

13 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Although I like it, let's leave a screenshot and come back in a few years and check it out.

Screenshot_20211012-034324_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20211012-034344_Chrome.jpg

The dollar saw an exchange rate of 36thb/USD last around Christmas 2016.    I think it must have stayed at that rate for about 15 seconds.    It began an immediate downfall from that moment on.

Prior to that in the early 2000's it was at a rate of 44THB/USD  for a while.

I wonder if now is a good time to transfer funds into the  country as a bird in the bush is worth two in the hand as the saying goes.

51 minutes ago, In Full Agreement said:

Does Bangkok count as being in Thailand?  ????  Last month when I went to MedPark Hospital with friends we parked in the mall next to the hospital and there was a spot near the elevator lobby where there were 13 charging stations for Electric Vehicles.    

Do you suspect they were just for show?

My point exactly. Let's talk again when you see 13 million charging stations.

7 hours ago, John Drake said:

I have lived here 12 years without owning a car, truck, or even a scooter. I walk, bike, use the BTS when in Bangkok, take taxis, and use buses. I did that when I commuted to work for the first six years; I do it now that I'm retired.  Thailand is one place where owning a car is absolutely unnecessary. If you ever have a food emergency, there is usually a 7 Eleven within 200 meters. Outside in the more remote villages, they have shops there, too. Most people live without cars and trucks. People would be healthier, fitter, and probably happier (no road rage) if they organized themselves to use either mass transit or their own muscles to do a bit of walking.

Your right , but all transport needs energy that at the present moment is going through the roof.

14 hours ago, ToothlessMatt said:

Took a quick look at this link, it would have a tad more credibility of they showed their historic predictions, but then again, maybe they wouldn't!

That's a very good point! Using the website archive.org, I've had a look to see what their predictions were in January 2019. They are quite amusing ????

Their prediction for October 2021 was 33.703 baht to the pound ????

snip1.JPG.e4a7f92eb92db01b4cea4055c5dd72c0.JPG

snip2.JPG.e781f41eb6ce32d17fcae69253dd47b1.JPG

See for yourself here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20190121064321/https://poundf.co.uk/pound-to-baht-forecast-gbp-to-thb

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, In Full Agreement said:

I don't know.   It sure looks like Electric Vehicles are roaring onto the market.    

And how do you think the electricity is generated in Thailand for those electric vehicles?

Edited by yimlitnoy
remarks
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, RobU said:

In my daily notification email it says

"Oil Price Hike and Bath Depreciation Worry Thai Government

I thought it was 'Baht' not 'Bath', Am I wrong?

No, the blunder of the auto spell checker. 

• Haha 1

One thing to consider with regards to current oil prices is the OPEC+ cartel production cuts, we are still below pre-pandemic oil demand. Also if a vaccine resistant covid variant emerges we could be back to square one.

"Meanwhile, OPEC+ has maintained limits on supply since the outset of the pandemic. At one point, it cut more than 10 million barrels of daily supply from the market due to weak demand. As of July, it agreed to boost output by 400,000 barrels per day (bpd) to phase out the continued 5.8 million bpd in cuts."

https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/white-house-stands-by-calls-opec-do-more-oil-prices-official-2021-10-11/

The Thai baht has strengthened significantly since Prayut announced the November reopening but I expect that to be short-lived unless somehow tourists start arriving in droves next month.

On 10/11/2021 at 5:59 PM, snoop1130 said:

(FTI) expressed concern about the increasing oil prices and the depreciation of the Thai currency,

nothing to worry about, depeciation already stopped and the  (Bad for us) appreciation  is taking over..... last week 33.8++++  now, today 33.30 to the USD