300-350k Baht Budget to buy 2nd pickup Truck

hhtown

Hi all , seeking advice, if you had a budget of 300-350k baht to buy 2nd hand pick up truck, what would you choose and why ?

My major considerations would be. 

Fuel economy,

Diesel or Petrol 

servicing costs.

Reliability/ durability.   

What's better Manual or Auto.       Happy with either 4x2 or 4x4

Thanks for your help 

What kind of average daily driving will you be doing?  The reason I ask is I used to have a Toyota Triton truck with a CNG tank , and I can say on long trips that CNG would cost me 1/2 if I just used gasoline.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

26 minutes ago, bbko said:

What kind of average daily driving will you be doing?  The reason I ask is I used to have a Toyota Triton truck with a CNG tank , and I can say on long trips that CNG would cost me 1/2 if I just used gasoline.

It the Triton not a Mitsu? 

• Thanks 1

Depends what used for, myself, with entry level budget:

Petrol ... due to ignorance of diesel engine

Auto ...  convenience (lazy), and usually dog on my lap in vehicle

2 wh drive ... don't need 4X4, and sucks up petrol

Long bed ... as I'd put a decent cap on it, and convert for camping, 

as most hotels aren't pet friendly.  Inflatable mattress, inverter, coffee 

machine and I'm set ????

Look on FB Marketplace, plenty of offerings.

Brand doesn't matter, as they are all pretty good now of days.

With the economy the way it is, should be a 'buyer's' market

Edited by KhunLA

52 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Depends what used for, myself, with entry level budget:

Petrol ... due to ignorance of diesel engine

Auto ...  convenience (lazy), and usually dog on my lap in vehicle

2 wh drive ... don't need 4X4, and sucks up petrol

Long bed ... as I'd put a decent cap on it, and convert for camping, 

as most hotels aren't pet friendly.  Inflatable mattress, inverter, coffee 

machine and I'm set ????

Look on FB Marketplace, plenty of offerings.

Brand doesn't matter, as they are all pretty good now of days.

With the economy the way it is, should be a 'buyer's' market

Not many pickups that burn petrol here, doubt you're seeing plenty of offerings. 

Not many automatic either, but a lot more than there were a few years ago when all you could get was the "top model" with an automatic. 

Reasonably late model, clean and low mileage will be limited to diesel engine and manual transmission, except perhaps in an MG or Tata. 

On 10/11/2021 at 7:55 PM, bbko said:

CNG or LPG ?

My brother in-law bought a nice 2 door Toyota Vigo for 400,000 baht.

He can't afford the insurance or maintenance though.

He just drives around the village blaring the music.

Thats one thing you must do is have it looked at by an inbiased mechanic before you buy.

Most Thais don't take care of there cars when it comes to maintenance.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

That's what service history is for. 

The thing is if it's a Toyota or a Isuzu they can take a lot of abuse.

If it's very cheap, most people who drive should be able to tell what's wrong by just starting the vehicle and test driving it. 

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

CNG or LPG ?

My Mitsu Triton had both a CNG tank and a petro tank, if long distance/motorway driving we'd switch to CNG, for city and short driving we would switch to petro.

4 minutes ago, seedy said:

Nonsense

Yeah Thais look after there trucks and cars better than I do. 

The very old trucks we sometimes  see around here are in a state because there company trucks or owed by poor that can't afford to look after them. 

31 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

That's what service history is for. 

A lot of Thais don't service there cars or trucks very well.

The service history you usually get from the dealership.

I can guarantee Thais will not pay the extortionate prices dealerships charge for even the most basic maintenance like oil changes.

I was just charged 4,200 for an oil change at a Nissan dealership.  Crazy expensive!

If you can buy a used car with a detailed service history that's great!

• Like 1

I would steer clear of a petrol truck, service stuff costs, maintenance.

Diesels are good on juice and are incredibly reliable and provide more grunt.

Auto is great, but if you get a problem, then that could be very costly, whereas manual boxes, in anything, are near bulletproof, and clutch plates seem to last forever..

Reliability, I would always go with Toyota, not only because of the engine, but also build quality and electronics. If you can find a second hand Revo, which has the latest engine design, that's what I would go for, it has a timing chain, not a belt, as the previous engine did, which had to be changed at 150kkm. ????

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

55 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

1 hour ago, MrJ2U said:

54 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

So - from "Most" to "A lot"

Next post - "Some", followed close behind by "A Few" no doubt

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

The service history you usually get from the dealership.

I can guarantee Thais will not pay the extortionate prices dealerships charge for even the most basic maintenance like oil changes.

I was just charged 4,200 for an oil change at a Nissan dealership.  Crazy expensive!

If you can buy a used car with a detailed service history that's great!

All I can say is not all Thais are stupid when it comes to owing trucks and cars which is the main consensus on forums such as this.

I know many Thais that service cars not always at dealers only those who not know much and want to keep up the warranty because they change their vehicle every 3 years.

There are a number of good private garage set ups around and Thais use them because the main dealerships are expensive, there family owned or there friends..

Many go to our local Cockpit outlet as I do, been going there ever since the first so called free service and you get an invoice which you keep. 

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

All I can say is not all Thais are stupid when it comes to owing trucks and cars which is the main consensus on forums such as this.

I know many Thais that service cars not always at dealers only those who not know much and want to keep up the warranty because they change their vehicle every 3 years.

There are a number of good private garage set ups around and Thais use them because the main dealerships are expensive, there family owned or there friends..

Many go to our local Cockpit outlet as I do, been going there ever since the first so called free service and you get an invoice which you keep. 

Yep, folk on here have run down B-Quik, just because they try to sell them something, one bloke run it down because you trip over old tyres there...????

Which of course is total nonsense.....????....

The last I heard the CEO is actually a farang...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

I don't service my pickup at all ........ 1996 Nissan BigM ..... purchased 11 years back for 150kbht.

It just gets taken to the local garage when it goes wrong.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Agree, people are the same world wide, in just about all things.  I would have less faith in buying a used vehicle from a foreigner, as I haven't met many I'd trust.  Too many here because they're a bit skint, so do people think they'll maintain anything any better.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Agree, people are the same world wide, in just about all things.  I would have less faith in buying a used vehicle from a foreigner, as I haven't met many I'd trust.  Too many here because they're a bit skint, so do people think they'll maintain anything any better.

Steady on ol' chap, I'm a bit skint, but I look after my wheels, even if it is a Tesco trolley.....????.........????

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, transam said:

Steady on ol' chap, I'm a bit skint, but I look after my wheels, even if it is a Tesco trolley.....????.........????

"Skint" (I love that, is it short for skin-flint?) or otherwise, it is generally more economical to maintain a piece of equipment than not.