All 3 major vaccines as good as each other.

mommysboy

Two equal and one would've been equal except for a major flaw.

AZ is the only vaccine to suffer 'anti-vector response' out of the gate where the body becomes immune to the vaccine itself. This is why you must wait a long time for the second dose. Oxford themselves now suggest 45 weeks is optimal ! In the mean time, you are left partially protected during a pandemic.  The Russians avoided this by using two different adenoviruses, J&J by using one shot.

Antivector response may also become problematic for all adenovirus vaccines if COVID becomes a long term issue. Read here:

Clinical Trials Arena: "Adenovirus-vectored Covid-19 vaccines’ efficacy during a potential re-vaccination campaign likely to be stifled by antivector response."

So no, not 3 equal.

Edited by rabas

6 hours ago, placeholder said:

Transmission is important. Still, AZ is an excellent vaccine, unjustly traduced. I'm anti Brexit myself, but I strongly suspect that one of the reasons the EU jumped so hard on AZ was anti Brexit sentiment. But obviously, I can't prove that.

AZ also has the advantage of not being an mRNA vaccine for the large segment of populations that don't trust mRNAs because they're perceived as too new or scary. 

Speaking of new, traduced is a new word to me and that's not scary.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

AZ also has the advantage of not being an mRNA vaccine for the large segment of populations that don't trust mRNAs because they're perceived as too new or scary. 

Speaking of new, traduced is a new word to me and that's not scary.

As a child, I was forced to read Victorian era novels. I'd like to sue my school system but I think the Statute of Limitations rules that out.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, rabas said:

Two equal and one would've been equal except for a major flaw.

AZ is the only vaccine to suffer 'anti-vector response' out of the gate where the body becomes immune to the vaccine itself. This is why you must wait a long time for the second dose. Oxford themselves now suggest 45 weeks is optimal ! In the mean time, you are left partially protected during a pandemic.  The Russians avoided this by using two different adenoviruses, J&J by using one shot.

Antivector response may also become problematic for all adenovirus vaccines if COVID becomes a long term issue. Read here:

Clinical Trials Arena: "Adenovirus-vectored Covid-19 vaccines’ efficacy during a potential re-vaccination campaign likely to be stifled by antivector response."

So no, not 3 equal.

I think then the clue is with the Sputnik vaccine, even assuming it's the major flaw you allege.

Speculation really.  

I think it's accepted that a mix and match approach will be the likely norm, as it is with the flu vaccine.

On the whole, I would say your posting is not responsible, and you keep posting it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Well, is there any evidence that this is actually a problem? And the page you linked to doesn't reference the "anti vector response" at all.

It does! The title of the referenced page reads:... Adenovirus-vectored Covid-19 vaccines’ efficacy ... likely to be stifled by antivector response.   Again the reference: [Clinical Trials Arena]

Here's a long science paper [click here] describing OAZ's efforts to deal with antivector response, starting with the low 60.3% efficacy in the Brazilian trial, likely due to AVR. They first tried to lower the initial dose to prevent AVR, which was globally not accepted without a new trial. Then they started delaying the second dose. IOW, it is a well known issue AZ and ADV vaccines.

Aside this significant problem, its a fine vaccine, I am happily AZ double zapped, waiting, and waiting, for my Modera ....

27 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Speculation really.  

I think it's accepted that a mix and match approach will be the likely norm, as it is with the flu vaccine.

On the whole, I would say your posting is not responsible, and you keep posting it.

Far from speculative. More from Reuters:  AstraZeneca, Sputnik vaccines face hurdles if COVID shots become annual affair

Also see [Expert Opinions] scroll to Prof Helen Fletcher, Professor of Immunology in London.  "The AZD1222 vaccine given alone would prime an immune response against spike protein – but also prime a response against the vaccine itself" Known in Dec 2020.

Which is more responsible?  Repeating that AZ is equal to the best or point out the issue? When planning my family's vaccine program is was helpful to understand the delays and  possible advantage of longer delays.  I even considered  AZ--Moderna-Moderna--AZ to maximize AZ's response. But Thailand's GAO would not provide happiness.

1 hour ago, rabas said:

Far from speculative. More from Reuters:  AstraZeneca, Sputnik vaccines face hurdles if COVID shots become annual affair

Also see [Expert Opinions] scroll to Prof Helen Fletcher, Professor of Immunology in London.  "The AZD1222 vaccine given alone would prime an immune response against spike protein – but also prime a response against the vaccine itself" Known in Dec 2020.

Which is more responsible?  Repeating that AZ is equal to the best or point out the issue? When planning my family's vaccine program is was helpful to understand the delays and  possible advantage of longer delays.  I even considered  AZ--Moderna-Moderna--AZ to maximize AZ's response. But Thailand's GAO would not provide happiness.

They all have issues!

But endless abstraction about a possible future problem that in any case can be easily overcome takes away from the here and now, and the very real effectiveness of the AZ vaccine.  

If you like putting your mind things, and I note your extremely good in this respect: at the moment I'm left high and dry on one dose of Pfizer, with the fear I may not be able to get another. What can I do to salvage this situation? 

Reassuring report.

Nothing on the two Chinese vaccines.

Transparency is so important for confidence.

Yet, once again theres really not much in studies (peer reviewed) with the Delta variant despite its wide use in poor countries.

Thats worrisome as WHO is buying over 100 million doses to  deliver to poorer countries, including Thailand.

• Like 1

again yet another prestigious study combines death and hospital risks, using the lowest common 90% denominator. WHY ? Different Events / Vax / Risk. Politics veneered on Science …again..

and groups all three vax as if equally effective. WHY ? Above the Common 90% They Are Not. 

For Example, AZ 100% effective against Covid Death ( FDA Phase III Trials), 90% for Hospital (same).

Pfixer 96% for Death ( same).

• Confused 1

18 hours ago, placeholder said:

But according to a huge study  done  in the UK that is admittedly not yet peer reviewed,, AZ was less effective at stopping transmission than the Pfizer Biontech vaccine.

Vaccines cut Covid transmission risk but only 90-day protection against Delta: Oxford study

Study, yet to be peer-reviewed, says vaccinated individuals infected with Delta have lower odds of spreading virus if they got Pfizer shot than if they received AstraZeneca-Oxford.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02261-8

Interesting.

I guess Moderna wasn't in that study.

18 hours ago, placeholder said:

But according to a huge study  done  in the UK that is admittedly not yet peer reviewed,, AZ was less effective at stopping transmission than the Pfizer Biontech vaccine.

Vaccines cut Covid transmission risk but only 90-day protection against Delta: Oxford study

Study, yet to be peer-reviewed, says vaccinated individuals infected with Delta have lower odds of spreading virus if they got Pfizer shot than if they received AstraZeneca-Oxford.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02261-8

I found this interesting about breakthrough with the Pfeizer and Moderna:

Moderna seemed much better at containing the Delta variant than Pfeizer.

"That study found the risk of suffering a breakthrough COVID-19 infection with the delta variant after being fully vaccinated with the Moderna vaccine may be much lower than the risk for those who received the Pfizer vaccine."

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/moderna-vs-pfizer-is-one-vaccine-stronger-against-delta-variant/2603249/

54 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

I found this interesting about breakthrough with the Pfeizer and Moderna:

Moderna seemed much better at containing the Delta variant than Pfeizer.

"That study found the risk of suffering a breakthrough COVID-19 infection with the delta variant after being fully vaccinated with the Moderna vaccine may be much lower than the risk for those who received the Pfizer vaccine."

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronavirus/moderna-vs-pfizer-is-one-vaccine-stronger-against-delta-variant/2603249/

Immunity is complex but a Moderna shot is significantly stronger than a Pfizer shot, 100 micrograms of mRNA versus 30µg for Pfizer.  Otherwise their mRNA is from the same patented design.

Nature, July 2021: Quarter-dose of Moderna COVID vaccine still rouses a big immune response

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, rabas said:

Immunity is complex but a Moderna shot is significantly stronger than a Pfizer shot, 100 micrograms of mRNA versus 30µg for Pfizer.  Otherwise their mRNA is from the same patented design.

Nature, July 2021: Quarter-dose of Moderna COVID vaccine still rouses a big immune response

I got the Pfeizer.

Still waiting for Moderna for my wife and Yai.