Stuck with one dose of Pfizer vaccine. What options (if any?)

mommysboy

Due to a simply breathtaking level of incompetence I am currently stuck on one dose of Pfizer, and frankly I'm not at all sure I'll get another any time soon.  

To my mind, there's nothing I can do other than sit the situation out for at least another 3 months and then start again with 2 others, ie, 2 AZ, or 2 Sinopharm.

I would appreciate any other suggestions as I would like to avoid the situation of going through the next 3 months only partially protected.

Edited by mommysboy
  • Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Might help to give more details about what happened to your second dose appointment.

I don't think so, but:

Well, I turned up at the allotted date, time and place on my appointment slip and nobody was there- I mean the whole station was empty.  The hospital admitted error in admin then sent me to the new vaccine center and that was closed too. So, we went to the District Public Health Office who also went through the sorry, sorry, wai, wai routine, but also said there is no Pfizer for me but there may be some more around the 21st- maybe!?.  I also had similar substantial problems even getting the first dose.  Even if they do get a vaccine for me, the level of incompetence means that I'm not at all convinced it will end up in my arm, based on previous experience.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I’d wait until the 21st then contact the District Public Health Office again.

It might also be worth discussing this with your local Phu Yai Baan/Kanman, our has been very proactive in helping people get their shots.

I don't have much choice really Chomper.  I think I'd have to wait 3-4 months before qualifying for a different vaccine as there is no mix and match on a first dose of pfizer.  

The kids go back to school shortly and there's also four other adults who all serve people, who will become more active again, not to mention the neighbours who we are close to.  I'm in a precarious position.

Yes, one shot will probably provide good protection against hospitalization - I did consider that.  I'm not bothered about infection as such.

But I suppose it's just a case of staying socially distant for as long as it takes, which is going to be tough since everyone else will be vaccinated- was really looking forward to bars, gym, hanging out with mates, etc.  

Just hope it won't turn in to a five month job, and more bungling.  It's been hopeless for me.   A long trip to Bangkok may well be in order.

Edited by mommysboy

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Buy a Moderna? people will be selling them soon. Also could buy Sinopharm

Is Pfizer 1st dose and then Moderna second  being done in USA for instance?

Mind you if I booked it now I wouldn't see it this year, and possibly before the second quarter of next.

8 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Mind you if I booked it now I wouldn't see it this year, and possibly before the second quarter of next.

Moderna second dose would be here. I think when it starts arriving soon there will be 100s of people trying to sell it as they've recently had 2 other vaccines

• Like 2

Don't know where you are Mommysboy, but I had a first Pfizer shot in Khon Kaen last Sunday, and am lined up for No 2 on 1st Nov at Bangkok Hospital Khon Kaen  Arranged by the British chamber of commerce (Thailand)  Also worth noting is that Buriram hospital are vaccinating teenagers this week.

If your hospital messed up, and either Buriram or Khon Kaen are convenient to you, I am sure they could pull a few strings to get you your second vaccine.

If you’re not fussed about travelling, I believe the Bangkok Pattaya hospital is doing walk ins at Central Festival. I would call them and ask if you can just turn up with your passport and get your 2nd jab. Hope you get it sorted. 

• Like 1

On 10/12/2021 at 1:19 PM, mommysboy said:

I don't think so, but:

Well, I turned up at the allotted date, time and place on my appointment slip and nobody was there- I mean the whole station was empty.  The hospital admitted error in admin then sent me to the new vaccine center and that was closed too. So, we went to the District Public Health Office who also went through the sorry, sorry, wai, wai routine, but also said there is no Pfizer for me but there may be some more around the 21st- maybe!?.  I also had similar substantial problems even getting the first dose.  Even if they do get a vaccine for me, the level of incompetence means that I'm not at all convinced it will end up in my arm, based on previous experience.

We are still having Pfizer distribute to foreigners here in Chiang Mai. Hav to be registered online.

21 hours ago, mommysboy said:

Not officially, but it apparently offers at least as strong an immune response as two Pfizers. So from a practical point of view it's good, but your paperwork might be viewed as showing incomplete vaccination.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

We are still having Pfizer distribute to foreigners here in Chiang Mai. Hav to be registered online.

Yes, I am registered online through expatvac. It was a struggle to get the first dose but I got it.  But no second dose as written despite having an appointment card.

I don't know why I'm getting disapproval smileys from some in all honesty! I'm just telling the truth.

Oh well, either it will happen or it won't, and the district health office will arrange alternatives if not. I guess I can sit out another few months if needs be.

11 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Yes, I am registered online through expatvac. It was a struggle to get the first dose but I got it.  But no second dose as written despite having an appointment card.

I don't know why I'm getting disapproval smileys from some in all honesty! I'm just telling the truth.

Oh well, either it will happen or it won't, and the district health office will arrange alternatives if not. I guess I can sit out another few months if needs be.

Congrats on getting your first dose. You're covered pretty well.

Best of luck with the second. Hopefully, you won't have to wait long.

17 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I have had both doses here in Chiang Mai. Agree, did not hear back from Expatvac except message that I was successfully registered. Then told by US Consulate and Honorary Brit Consul here to register with the provincial health department. After that, all smooth.

Over 18s Pfizer Vaccination for Foreign Residents in Chiang Mai: Ticket Holders Only

Tuesday 19th October 2021
Vaccination Centre Promenada Mall
08:30-12:30 – Foreign Residents Over 25 Yrs Age (YOB 1996 or earlier) Ticket Holders Only
13:30 -14:30-  Foreign Residents 18 - 24 Yrs Age (YOB 1997 - 2003) Ticket Holders Only

Please obtain free tickets via Eventbrite App at these links:

Foreign Residents Over 25 Yrs Age
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/over-25s-promenada-pfizer-vaccination-expats-chiang-mai-8-tickets-189396168037

Tickets available for following times:
08:30-09:30 09:30-10:30 10:30-11:30 
11:30-12:30 

Foreign Residents 18 - 24 Yrs Age
https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/18-24-yrs-promenada-pfizer-vaccination-expats-chiang-mai-9-tickets-190269831187

Tickets available for following times:
13:30-14:30

Do not forget to bring to the vaccination your:
- Passport
- Eventbrite E-ticket
- Consent Form, filled in prior to arrival (see below).

Terms and Conditions Apply 

This Pfizer vaccination is only for foreign residents in Chiang Mai who have never been vaccinated with any vaccine before

Only one ticket is allowed per person.

This vaccination is for expat foreign residents NOT migrant workers from Myanmar, Cambodia, Laos. Migrant workers will be vaccinated under a separate program.

You are advised to arrive 15 minutes before your ticket time. There is no need to arrive earlier than that.

In order to reduce delays for yourself and others, please could you:

1) Pre-register with Wall of Chiang Mai, if you have not already done so at: https://reboot.chiangmaihealth.go.th/CMCVR/ and note your 13 digit ID number.

2) Print out and fill in the Consent Form prior to arrival. Full address is not required only District and Sub-District. Form can be found at this link:
https://www.chiangmaihealth.go.th/cmpho_web/coronavirus/Consent_Form_Eng.pdf

Chiang Mai Provincial Public Health Office would like to emphasize that this vaccination is only for individuals who have not previously been vaccinated. Registrations will be checked and fraud will lead to ineligibility for all future vaccinations from the Royal Thai Government. 
All guidelines at the vaccinations will be strictly enforced, and customers eligible for vaccination must comply with the above criteria. Individuals who do not comply will be turned away and asked to wait for a later date.

Edited by wwest5829
  • Like 1

Where are you located?

I know just calling Khon Khaen Bangkok Hospital a friend got his Pfeizer shot within two hours.

Salon Nakhon Hospital just called this morning offering Pfeizer, but I've already had my two doses.

There's plenty out there.

Maybe just call a  "Bangkok" affiliated hospital and explain your predicament. 

There usually very helpful.  Just ask for the international department.

Call tomorrow morning.

Hopefully they'll be able to help you.

Good luck!

48 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

Try contacting the British Chamber of Commerce Thailand, they might be able to help you.

9 hours ago, mommysboy said:

The disapproving smileys (not from me) are probably because you come across as a person who is giving up without reason. They told you "maybe on 21st", why assume you won't get it? I know of several cases of people who went to the vaxx center at the end of the day, and managed to get a dose because somebody did not keep their appointment. Especially with Pfeizer that needs special temperature storage.

It would also help if you mentioned where you are based.

Good luck.

On 10/12/2021 at 6:48 AM, mommysboy said:

Just to update you, the FDA will be presenting data on the mix-match of vaccines.  Tentatively, it is showing it is safe.  Whether this will be approved is not decided, but it looks good. 

I think it depends where you live.  The roll out in Surat has been lousy in all honesty.  No walk in options here for anything.  And options appear to have receded on Intervac too.  Yes I did see plenty in Kon Kaen, but it's a heck of a trek from Surat Thani, and I wouldn't want to get there and find they'd run out too.