Senior doctor stresses need for measures in parallel with opening Thailand to foreign travellers

Jonathan Fairfield

LINE_ALBUM_พัทยาlover-ช่วงโควิด-19_211013.jpeg

Three measures must be in place when reopening Thailand to foreign travellers, scheduled for November 1st, says Professor Dr. Prasit Watanapa, dean of the Faculty of Medicine at Mahidol University today (Wednesday).

The first is vaccination, he said, adding that, although 50% of the Thai population have received their first vaccine jab and 33% have had their second, mass vaccination must continue and, more importantly, Thai people must be willing to be vaccinated.

With the monthly arrival of 20 million doses of vaccines from October, he said there will be enough for the people in the country.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/senior-doctor-stresses-need-for-measures-in-parallel-with-opening-thailand-to-foreign-travellers/

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

once the locals start moving around then the real trouble will start. double tested, vaxxed & tracked foreigners will be the last of their problems.

Protocol measures and practice have to be stressed upon the local populations.....until the rate of fully vaccinated is at an acceptable level. The obvious reason for the months on end surges/spikes was that a segment of the population became relaxed and indifferent about safety protocol - it worked quite well for a year and then fell off.......and Delta hit.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, it is what it is said:

most other countries haven't opened up until a large majority of the population is double vaccinated, so that would be a useful benchmark - you don't have to be a highly qualified medical professional to see the sense in that.

Costa Rica has been open for a year, no testing required even, and no they've not had huge Covid surges. Much of Central America, and South America America, the Caribbean is open, and has been open for some time. A lot of Europe is open to "some" travelers. Asia on the other hand is so far mostly closed, but even there, signs are that some others are about to open.

Locking down a country in the beginning when there was no local Covid, was a good idea, but once the country is Endemic throughout, it has no effect. An old saying; once the horses are out of the barn, no point in closing the barn doors. Covid is Endemic now throughout the world.

IIRC there was an attempt to prevent the variant coming out of England, complete fail.

there was an attempt to prevent the South African variant, complete fail.

there was an attempt to prevent the Indian variant, complete fail.

there was an attempt to prevent the Delta variant, complete fail.

Where is there even a shred of evidence that travel international lock-downs have any effect at all, at this point in time.

China has extreme lock-downs traveling there, inter province, inter city, etc, etc. Of course it's not widely published, but they're not fairing any better than anywhere else in the world.

At this point in time, keeping fully vaccinated, double PCR tested people out "and/or in quarantine", is rather ludicrous.

By Nov1 Thailand should be well above the 50% fully vaccinated threshold, and all "at risk" populations fully vaccinated. The last month there has been tremendous progress on this. Definitely slow to start, but that's now in the past.

• Like 1

Could someone please explain how introducing a population of %100 fully vaccinated people (i.e. foreign tourists) into a population that is only %33 fully vaccinated people(i.e. the current residents of Thailand) would cause "a surge of infections". 

I'm not a professor or dean of a medical school but I like to think I have a grasp of basic logic.

What am I missing?

• Like 2

15 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

once the locals start moving around then the real trouble will start. double tested, vaxxed & tracked foreigners will be the last of their problems.

It certainly will be a large issue.

More than enough of the Locals even now dont seem to want to obey the rules to keep people safe.

And a lot of the Farangs are just as bad.

I would not be so scared about vaccinated foreigners from low risk zones, I would worry more about the unvaccinated Thais, and eventual migrant workers that could be crossing borders...????

However, there might not come that many foreign tourists as long as there are restrictions, even mandatory wear of face mask can make numerous choose another destination for Christmas-New Year peak season and upcoming winter holidays in January and February, Western foreigners normally plan ahead and could be booking the holidays already now; but with Chinese I've no idea of their preference, they might come in millions..:whistling: