Public schools in Pattaya are not ready to open for in-person learning on November 1st, say school officials

webfact

screenshot_15595.jpg

By Goong Nang(GN)

Pattaya – Public schools in Pattaya are not ready to open for ‘On Site’ learning on November 1st due to Covid -19 measurements, according to Chonburi and Pattaya officials.

Mr. Weerawat Kudtaleng the director of the Pattaya City Educational Office told the Pattaya News and associated local Thai press today, “There are eleven schools and two Children Development Centers in Pattaya City in terms of public schools, not counting international or private schools.”

“Students aged 12-17 whose parents have opted them into getting a vaccine will receive their second dose of a Covid -19 vaccine on November 9th and November 10th,” Weerawat explained.

“From November 1st students will continue to learn their school lessons via ”Online/ On Hand / On Demand and On-Air until further change after a decision from Chonburi Public Health Officials, who are concerned with the number of cases still active in the Chonburi and Pattaya area as well as the fact that students who are eligible are not fully vaccinated yet,” Weerawat explained.

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/10/28/public-schools-in-pattaya-are-not-ready-to-open-for-in-person-learning-on-november-1st-say-school-officials/

PattayaNews.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

just found out a few hours ago that our local school will not be opening

Even the caretaker did not know this , was still cutting grass and cleaning up ready to open

why the problems with giving out information at reasonable notice 

Has parents copying papers ready for opening this morning 

seems lots of the teachers have not been vaccinated, WHY ? they have had since April to do so 

Nobody seems to bother that the children all congregate in the village, play football, etc, so why not allow them to go back to school and actually start learning something  ?

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

just found out a few hours ago that our local school will not be opening

Even the caretaker did not know this , was still cutting grass and cleaning up ready to open

why the problems with giving out information at reasonable notice 

Has parents copying papers ready for opening this morning 

seems lots of the teachers have not been vaccinated, WHY ? they have had since April to do so 

Nobody seems to bother that the children all congregate in the village, play football, etc, so why not allow them to go back to school and actually start learning something  ?

100% agree kids out playing mixing with the other kids go out with their parents to the markets/supermarkets/beach etc, makes you wonder if some Thai parents or the government want an education for the kids.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, johng said:

Parents I'm sure would want their kids educated.."governments"  probably much less so.

Looking at the recent student protests the government don’t want the younger generation to be educated but they forget the power of social media and the internet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jingjai9 said:

Maybe this is a smart move. We are all anxious to see things open, but I dread having schools open on November 1st only to see them close again a week or two later. Perhaps it is better to wait then take another step backward. 

I think also this is the unspoken truth ......, a fear all those tourism opening shall bring the latest U.K. and now also growing contagion E.U. variant to Thailand , might be a very precautious  delay excuus  

Edited by david555

5 minutes ago, david555 said:

I think also this is the unspoken truth ......, a fear all those tourism opening shall bring the latest U.K. and now also growing contagion E.U. variant to Thailand , might be a very precautious  delay excuus  

Thailand can’t delay forever, what happens if there is a spike, lockdowns and more misery ?

Nice to have a realist.

I think theres going to be massive transmission from children to the elderly.

This will be especially bad in Issan with its total lack of vaccinations mixed with poverty, crowded homes, and lack of hygiene.

16 hours ago, webfact said:

Pattaya – Public schools in Pattaya are not ready to open for ‘On Site’ learning on November 1st due to Covid -19 measurements, according to Chonburi and Pattaya officials.

Yet ready to open up to the world?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Nice to have a realist.

I think theres going to be massive transmission from children to the elderly.

This will be especially bad in Issan with its total lack of vaccinations mixed with poverty, crowded homes, and lack of hygiene.

Exactly... and why school opening was held off until the vaccination numbers could be much higher. Surely we are there in the cities though.

17 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

It's a total nightmare in Pattaya- my 5 year old has been told they doubt they will open this year. Been off since April now - and this is even after the school helped the parents get jabs !

Are you still required to pay tuition?

33 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Exactly... and why school opening was held off until the vaccination numbers could be much higher. Surely we are there in the cities though.

I believe the vaccination rates are much lower than reported.

Our daughter starts school Monday.  

To be safe I'll be driving her for the foreseeable future.

I'm thinking packed busses.

Are the bus drivers vaccinated?.

Theres so many variables.

I hope everything is OK, like every parent we prefer our kids in school learning.

Much better for the kids.

Much better for the parents sanity.

14 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

, they need to interacting with other kids some thing some will doing at home with other kids.

Not the same thing. Interacting with other kids at home  is voluntary, where going to school if they open and interacting there is not.  

13 hours ago, Joinaman said:

Someone does, that's why there are limits on the number of gatherings that opening schools would violate. 

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Yet ready to open up to the world?

No not open up the world, open up to the vaccinated world.

If all school kids and teachers were vaccinated, I would agree, if we can allow vaccinated tourists to come, we can allowed school to open  , 

But  all kids are not vaccinated, and we still have the problem of large gatherings.

If we want the same for school kids as we do for tourists then the same restrictions should apply , and large gatherings are not allowed for tourists 

Edited by sirineou

10 minutes ago, sirineou said:

If all school kids and teachers were vaccinated, I would agree, if we can allow vaccinated tourists to come, we can allowed school to open  , 

But  all kids are not vaccinated, and we still have the problem of large gatherings.

If we want the same for school kids as we do for tourists then the same restrictions should apply , and large gatherings are not allowed for tourists 

Therein lays the problem... the ball's in Prayuts court.

I have an idea. 

Isolate all children from any social contact and communal learning for at least 2 years. Lock them up and make them as scared and confused as you possibly can. 

This will definitely lead to a generation of well balanced individuals.

Be prepared for the diagnosis of PCSD (post covid stress disorder) that will affect an entire generation of young adults and their anti-social behavior worldwide.  

I used to think politicians and bureaucrats were just stupid.  As I got older I changed my views and believed they were not only stupid, bit were also incompetent.  It is now evident that as well as being stupid and incompetent, they are also malevolent. 

The last thing we need is a stupid incompetent malevolent imbecile in charge of the madhouse, but internationally, that's what we have.  I can't even listen to my PM (Commissar Jacinda Ardern) without feeling physically ill.

The rhetorical question "who put the patients in charge of the asylum" needs to be addressed. They should form an international committee of well informed government officials to look into it, but I suspect a partially trained gynecologist might do a better job.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

Not the same thing. Interacting with other kids at home  is voluntary, where going to school if they open and interacting there is not.  

Someone does, that's why there are limits on the number of gatherings that opening schools would violate. 

why the need to vaccinate young children ?

What age do we vaccinate them, from birth 5 years, ?

if children have so few sufferers from covid, why the rush to jab then

if they are jabbed, they can still pass it on to family ?

why not leave the children and concentrate on adults

and if its so important to get vaccinated, why do they keep refusing vaccines to the villagers, like many have been here, who when apply, told No have, come back later 

Even getting the jab is hard, which could be 20k away from the village in some small clinic or school ,but then they have to travel 45 k to town, to the main hospital to get the papers to prove it. Not easy for old folk who have only a small Honda wave to get about, if lucky

15 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

if children have so few sufferers from covid, why the rush to jab then

Because they can transmit the virus.

f they are jabbed, they can still pass it on to family ?

Vaccinated people are much less likely to infect others. 

why not leave the children and concentrate on adults

Because no one in this thread has advocated that adults go to school. 

why do they keep refusing vaccines to the villagers, like many have been here, who when apply, told No have, come back later 

Because the have screwed up and did not get enough vaccines so they are concentrating on business , tourism, and hot spot concerns,  

Even getting the jab is hard, which could be 20k away from the village in some small clinic or school ,but then they have to travel 45 k to town, to the main hospital to get the papers to prove it. Not easy for old folk who have only a small Honda wave to get about, if lucky

I agree, we have the same problem here in Khon Kaen  But we had a low rate of transmission so we were ignored, now that we are a red zone I expect they will concentrate more here.  I hope!!

No argument the Thai goverment has done a horrible job procuring and distributing vaccines.  I share your frustration. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Are you still required to pay tuition?

The government gave 2000 baht per child a few months ago.

Some private schools offered discounts.

.... basically your out of luck for much as private schools are really struggling.

In the U.K. the number of Covid cases yesterday was 43000 and sadly 183 deaths, life is back too normal no curfews, no alcohol bans, the borders are open, kids at school and the vast majority of the population vaccinated.
Vaccinations don’t prevent the spread of Covid, people still die from Covid even after having been vaccinated Thailand needs too realise and move on and open up. Covid won’t go away, there will be surges but knee jerk reactions of lockdowns doesn’t work, yes the case numbers are low but they never mention the number of tests they have carried out.

54 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Because they can transmit the virus.

Vaccinated people are much less likely to infect others. 

Because no one in this thread has advocated that adults go to school. 

Because the have screwed up and did not get enough vaccines so they are concentrating on business , tourism, and hot spot concerns,  

I agree, we have the same problem here in Khon Kaen  But we had a low rate of transmission so we were ignored, now that we are a red zone I expect they will concentrate more here.  I hope!!

No argument the Thai goverment has done a horrible job procuring and distributing vaccines.  I share your frustration. 

Vaccinating kids won’t stop them getting Covid or spread as you quoted.

17 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Vaccinating kids won’t stop them getting Covid or spread as you quoted.

It is not just my opinion.

Published  13 Oct 2021

" A large study, not yet peer-reviewed, led by a team at Oxford University and looking specifically at the Delta variant has shown that both the Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines do indeed reduce transmission of the disease."

https://www.aljazeera.com/features/2021/10/13/do-coronavirus-vaccines-prevent-transmission-of-the-virus

Published 05 October 2021 by Nature magazine

"People who receive two COVID-19 jabs and later contract the Delta variant are less likely to infect their close contacts than are unvaccinated people with Delta.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02689-y

Published  23 October 2021 New Scientist 

"People who are fully vaccinated against covid-19 are far less likely to infect others, despite the arrival of the delta variant, several studies show. The findings refute the idea, which has become common in some circles, that vaccines no longer do much to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. "

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2294250-how-much-less-likely-are-you-to-spread-covid-19-if-youre-vaccinated/

8 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

In the U.K. the number of Covid cases yesterday was 43000 and sadly 183 deaths, life is back too normal no curfews, no alcohol bans, the borders are open, kids at school and the vast majority of the population vaccinated.
Vaccinations don’t prevent the spread of Covid, people still die from Covid even after having been vaccinated Thailand needs too realise and move on and open up. Covid won’t go away, there will be surges but knee jerk reactions of lockdowns doesn’t work, yes the case numbers are low but they never mention the number of tests they have carried out.

Once the vaccination rate reaches 80%, or more, it then becomes a question of hospital capacity as to whether there will be any future lock downs.

It's true, many fully vaccinated people are still getting very sick, and still dying.  

Countries with a good health system may be able to cope with the numbers, do you think Thailand can in the future?  

"Living with covid" isn't about opening up once reaching 80% vaccinated and who out of the fully vaccinated dies, so be it.  Lives can still be saved. 

Also, could you imagine the negative publicity for Thailand to have big numbers of covid deaths, many being retired expats, who are in the at risk age range?  

Thailand will need to increase hospital capacity in preparation for fully opening up, otherwise, there will be more lock downs every time their hospital admissions reach maximum capacity levels.