Panic attack followed by acute depression.

giddyup

4 minutes ago, ezzra said:

My heart goes out to all of you guys that are going trough the dreaded anxiety and depression bouts nothing worse than the feeling of despair, fear and doom and gloom,

I myself had an open heart operation 6 months ago and now i'm prone to all the above and a serious memory lose owing to the the many hours on the operating table, so i was give to take a Lorazapam (ativan) 2.5mg half a tablet a day and it dose makes a lot of different to my day,

I'm not advocating to anyone the use of any anti depressant but should you want to consider one, give this one a try...

The last time I had an anxiety attack followed by depression the doctor prescribed Clonazepam which I think is similar, it works but is very addictive.

37 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

There is no difference. eg Opium is natural but can kill you.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/st-johns-wort-can-cause-serious-side-effects/

All I know is St John's wort is readily available without prescription, whereas all of the man made antidepressants are not. What does that tell you?

13 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Thanks for the advice Sheryl, but this feeling of anxiety and depression can become pretty overwhelming and I'm not sure I could keep on going without some changes. With the panic attacks/anxiety it becomes overpowering and I have no choice but to go for a walk as I feel the walls closing in.

This is not unusual; we all do this. But you need to take it further in so that you are further away from panic/anxiety attacks.

So instead of being one step away, you are five steps away. 

It's of course different when you are in the picture than when you are observing the picture.

So for you, unless you can feel the benefit of what I am telling you; you might not be convinced. But you will never feel it unless you do it.

Mind and body. 

Free your mind. You have loads of barriers in there. That in turn affects your body.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Are you touting for business, because all your advice is pretty generic. Will all be revealed if I sign up for some one on one guidance?

Of course it's generic; we are all human. So the advice works for all. 

Horse to water and all that...

No one on one. My time is precious; so with strangers I can only give what I can give. If it isn't enough for you; then perhaps you need to find someone who can spend more time with you to push you to do the things that you need to do.

If you made it a pleasant task; I would happily share my time to help you. Perhaps you don't notice that I do that anyway around here. 

I would be exchanging my pleasant time; for a difficult time trying to get you to do the things to get you where you need to be. It's not worth it to me. I am not currently in need of money. So if I do something for someone; I do it because I want to do it.

So this will have to be enough for you. Change your life and your mindset and everything will change with it....or carry on thinking that your way is THE way and accept that is as good as it will get for you.

It's generic because it is true for all of us. 

I'm not sitting on a high horse; I have also gone through all of this and know what works. I have also helped people over the course of many years; so I know what works.

People's own minds can be their worst enemies. I try to help people every day...as you can see. But many are resistant to change

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Thanks for the advice Sheryl, but this feeling of anxiety and depression can become pretty overwhelming and I'm not sure I could keep on going without some changes. With the panic attacks/anxiety it becomes overpowering and I have no choice but to go for a walk as I feel the walls closing in.

Have you many friends? 

I'd be lost without my friends in AA to share things with. 

When feeling anxious or down, picking up the phone helps me. I'm sure there are such support groups for depression. 

I hope you feel better soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

There is no difference. eg Opium is natural but can kill you.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/st-johns-wort-can-cause-serious-side-effects/

Most negative concerns are generated when used in conjunction with other prescription drugs because it can negate or enhance intended effect..

Water is also dangerous as is evidenced by the number of people who drown !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

Hey 'Giddyup,'

I'm not a medical doctor and trail you chronologically by just three years.  No panic attacks or depression - yet.  Three observations:

The folks at Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital are top-notch from my experience.  I have RLS and get some stuff there to reduce it.  Also had some depression issues some years ago and found St. John's Wort to be helpful with mood swings.  It didn't kill me and I weaned myself off of it some time ago.  Lastly, Thai women are nothing if not caring and supportive -- at least the ones not making their livings on Beach Road or in the once open Go Go joints.  Got one?

Sorry about what hopefully is a temporary affliction.  Good luck with all that............

2 hours ago, Nojohndoe said:

Most negative concerns are generated when used in conjunction with other prescription drugs because it can negate or enhance intended effect..

Water is also dangerous as is evidenced by the number of people who drown !

My point exactly. It's a myth that 'natural' cures are safer than manufactured medicine.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Hammer2021 said:

My point exactly. It's a myth that 'natural' cures are safer than manufactured medicine.

I doubt St Johns wort would be freely available if it posed a significant health risk.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Do you drink coffee or smoke?

If so, stop it.  Secondly, exercise rather than taking pills, especially at that age. 

I thought I was depressed one, a friend said try running 4 km 3 times a week before going to the doc, and cut down smoking and cigs. I did all 3 and haven't seen the doc yet. 

Giving up coffee and smoking, cold turkey, will make anxiety and depression much worse. Having a smoke or a coffee is a time people relax. Perhaps switching to decaf might be an idea, but cutting cigarettes at the wrong time is a bad idea.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, USEpat said:

Hey 'Giddyup,'

I'm not a medical doctor and trail you chronologically by just three years.  No panic attacks or depression - yet.  Three observations:

The folks at Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital are top-notch from my experience.  I have RLS and get some stuff there to reduce it.  Also had some depression issues some years ago and found St. John's Wort to be helpful with mood swings.  It didn't kill me and I weaned myself off of it some time ago.  Lastly, Thai women are nothing if not caring and supportive -- at least the ones not making their livings on Beach Road or in the once open Go Go joints.  Got one?

Sorry about what hopefully is a temporary affliction.  Good luck with all that............

What do you use for RLS as I have had the same problem for years? Haven't found anything to successfully treat it. I don't believe St Johns wort is addictive, so probably no need to wean off. Yes, have been with the same Thai partner for nearly 12 years, couldn't wish for better, but she can't help much with depression.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

Giving up coffee and smoking, cold turkey, will make anxiety and depression much worse. Having a smoke or a coffee is a time people relax. Perhaps switching to decaf might be an idea, but cutting cigarettes at the wrong time is a bad idea.

Not sure my one cup of a coffee a day does much damage, and haven't had a smoke for about 8 years.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Not sure my one cup of a coffee a day does much damage, and haven't had a smoke for about 8 years.

One or more cups of coffee could actually be healthy for most people. I drink a lot more than one cup a day... probably 3 or 4 on average.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ezzra said:

Lorazapam (ativan) 2.5mg half a tablet a day and it dose makes a lot of different to my day,

I'm not advocating to anyone the use of any anti depressant but should you want to consider one, give this one a try...

Sorry, I had to jump in for the sake of information accuracy. Ativan is not an antidepressant, it's an anxiolytic. That's a whole different drug classification. Big differences from an antidepressant (though similarly potentially dangerous, albeit in different ways). In fact, Lorazepam and all benzodiazepines are technically also classed as depressants—not a logical choice if you're looking for antidepressant effects.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Moonlover said:

A few days of walking in the fresh air is probably more in order than medication.

Yes I agree with this , getting into a routine of regular exercise. Even gentle exercise, perhaps swimming. Work up to a decent distance . Also work on a healthy balanced diet. 

That at does not negate the need to talk to a qualified therapist. But it might help. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PadPrikKhing said:

Sorry, I had to jump in for the sake of information accuracy. Ativan is not an antidepressant, it's an anxiolytic. That's a whole different drug classification. Big differences from an antidepressant (though similarly potentially dangerous, albeit in different ways). In fact, Lorazepam and all benzodiazepines are technically also classed as depressants—not a logical choice if you're looking for antidepressant effects.

I did find that Clonozapam helped with the anxiety and guaranteed a good night's sleep, but too addictive for any long term use.

• Like 1

I can only relate in very small manner but I do understand your challenges.  I had my first and only anxiety issue in March of 2020 and worked through it with great effort.  My life went it seemed from wonderful to terrible in a few extremely challenging days.  

Do you meditate every day?  It only takes 5 minutes ( more is better ) and it will help.  Have no clue why it does but it most definitely puts me in  a place to address my issues.  My bet is you have a myriad of issues that your mind is working through.  Meditation is just a tool to assist in clearing some mental space to address issues but in the end it only helps if you find the conviction to address issues.

My mind is great at convincing me to not deal with issues and just move on.  It's difficult but in short time I forced myself to address one issue at a time and over a few weeks my mind stopped spinning so fast and I was able to manage it with ease. The satisfaction of resolving issues is empowering and was surprised with the calmness that resulted from resolving even tiny concerns.

Walking the dog is easy but dealing with issues is hard.  Ironically pleasure is a result of doing difficult things.  Make a plan today and choose one small issue to resolve.  That would be my simpleton advice.

• Like 2

I'd get a full medical work-up, and then ask your Doctor for psych referral.

Have you ever experienced panic attacks, anxiety or depression before? What triggers the panic attack?

Is there any family history of depression?

Are you currently on any meds? And if so, what is the diagnosis?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I can only relate in very small manner but I do understand your challenges.  I had my first and only anxiety issue in March of 2020 and worked through it with great effort.  My life went it seemed from wonderful to terrible in a few extremely challenging days.  

Do you meditate every day?  It only takes 5 minutes ( more is better ) and it will help.  Have no clue why it does but it most definitely puts me in  a place to address my issues.  My bet is you have a myriad of issues that your mind is working through.  Meditation is just a tool to assist in clearing some mental space to address issues but in the end it only helps if you find the conviction to address issues.

My mind is great at convincing me to not deal with issues and just move on.  It's difficult but in short time I forced myself to address one issue at a time and over a few weeks my mind stopped spinning so fast and I was able to manage it with ease. The satisfaction of resolving issues is empowering and was surprised with the calmness that resulted from resolving even tiny concerns.

Walking the dog is easy but dealing with issues is hard.  Ironically pleasure is a result of doing difficult things.  Make a plan today and choose one small issue to resolve.  That would be my simpleton advice.

Good thoughts. My brother suffered increasing depression about 6 years after he retired. Luckily he got some good counseling which he admitted to me revealed that he had become preoccupied with the idea he was redundant in total and was bored with a limited routine that provided nothing stimulating. He became a volunteer tutor for a Junior Electronics Club that snapped  him out of what became close to a clinical state of depression.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I'd get a full medical work-up, and then ask your Doctor for psych referral.

Have you ever experienced panic attacks, anxiety or depression before? What triggers the panic attack?

Is there any family history of depression?

Are you currently on any meds? And if so, what is the diagnosis?

Had the same problem about 3 years ago, had a full medical, all OK except for high BP which I already take meds for, that and gout. Had several medicals and blood tests since then, everything good for my age. The symptoms I had 3 years ago are the same as I'm experiencing now, and they eventually passed without taking antidepressants, so I'm hoping the same thing will happen now. It's horrible while it lasts though.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ezzra said:

My heart goes out to all of you guys that are going trough the dreaded anxiety and depression bouts nothing worse than the feeling of despair, fear and doom and gloom,

I myself had an open heart operation 6 months ago and now i'm prone to all the above and a serious memory lose owing to the the many hours on the operating table, so i was give to take a Lorazapam (ativan) 2.5mg half a tablet a day and it dose makes a lot of different to my day,

Good points, some of us when we get older have these issues some not. 

In my case it's a combination of severe PTSD and anxiety and depression. Even 55 years after the Vietnam war I still have recurring flashbacks, sleep issues, anxiety and depression, and often become very overprotective of my son (now late 30s) and his 3 kids. When It's severe I go into panic If I can't see the 3 kids, and panic that they are in danger etc.

But I keep telling myself 'it could be worse, and that does help.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Had the same problem about 3 years ago, had a full medical, all OK except for high BP which I already take meds for, that and gout. Had several medicals and blood tests since then, everything good for my age. The symptoms I had 3 years ago are the same as I'm experiencing now, and they eventually passed without taking antidepressants, so I'm hoping the same thing will happen now. It's horrible while it lasts though.

Don't need to suffer. A short course of valium may be all you need.

• Like 1