Bangla Road

MarkT63

I wonder with all the time the place has had being a ghost town, if they have widened the footpaths, put in wheelchair & pram access ramps and redirect the sewage pipes to get rid of the smell which filters through those grates on Bangla road that were covered with those hessian bags ?

Going to be a lot of empty bars I figure for this year, and possibly till mid-late 2022.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, London Lowf said:

These bars in progress are not for punters.

There are so many surplus bar girls in Patong - these extra bars are to give them somewhere to sit and gaze at their phones.

The girls are so hungry they could strip the varnish off the wooden bars stools, I hope the upgrade to stainless, then you'd only have to slide them off sideways.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Headgame said:

No they're not.
Why would you say something so stupid.

See you at 2pm tomorrow at the end of bangla heading to the beach. Then you can apologise for you stupid comment and watch it with your own eyes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Got report today - Two swedes Pfizer jabbed got covid in Patong and now on hospital. A lot of people there at hosp. - three farang kids got covid  and ambulances come and go.

Swede asks how many farangs here - no answer.

About 10 massage workers there for test. At least one positive -  Sirijay hospital...

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bchrisny said:

Got report today - Two swedes Pfizer jabbed got covid in Patong and now on hospital. A lot of people there at hosp. - three farang kids got covid  and ambulances come and go.

About 10 massage workers there for test. At least one positive -  Sirijay hospital...

might help if you said whether they had any symptoms at all before they were taken to hospital......

Does seem they are all hopeful, on Koh Chang yesterday, i saw one of the big closed 7/11s had the lights on inside, maybe to re-open, and a couple of bars being cleaned up, even more locals sitting at home in the evening audible from my home,  with quite a few friends getting pished. (wish i was allowed to get away with that). some shops re-opened or being somewhat refurbished. Had a lot of local tourists the last few weekends. Their hopes seem to be high i can only hope for their sake they don't get dashed. Xmas will be the telling time. personally i will see what February brings before i venture out for a weeks road trip down to Krabi to see some family of Mrs B.

I have also watched the police pull over motorbikes each day at the corner of Bangla and the beach road. I drive through that area each afternoon and watch as all helmetless farang are pulled over, while none of the helmetless locals are. At 500 baht each, it's a very lucrative post. 

It appears that is only happening during the daytime, not at night. 

• Like 1

On 11/2/2021 at 8:38 PM, bchrisny said:

might help if you backed your story up with facts rather than unsubstantiated rumours?

11 minutes ago, eyup said:

might help if you backed your story up with facts rather than unsubstantiated rumours?

what is so hard to believe about that.  50 new cases yesterday

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-marks-50-new-covid-cases-no-new-deaths-81914.php

It's a virus, it's what it does, spreads.  Good luck trying to stop it. 

Better to learn to live with it.

Edited by KhunLA

On 11/2/2021 at 8:38 PM, bchrisny said:

What's your point?

You expected all CV cases in Phuket to stop??

i'm sorry but that's impossible.

36 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

what is so hard to believe about that.  50 new cases yesterday

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-marks-50-new-covid-cases-no-new-deaths-81914.php

It's a virus, it's what it does, spreads.  Good luck trying to stop it. 

Better to learn to live with it.

Of course, I have seen the report from Phuket news and as they are the only "official" figures that are released it is what we all go by.

His post was "Got report. today. etc " Which sounds like " his sisters boyfriends uncle etc told me" sort of thing!

37 minutes ago, eyup said:

Of course, I have seen the report from Phuket news and as they are the only "official" figures that are released it is what we all go by.

His post was "Got report. today. etc " Which sounds like " his sisters boyfriends uncle etc told me" sort of thing!

My take from it was as he specifically mentioned "double jabbed with Pfizer" in his rumour report that it was an opportunity to throw up an anti-vaxxer comment

On 11/3/2021 at 7:42 AM, elgenon said:

MarkT63 - I would love to see photos of the bars if you took some. They would give me hope. Thanks.

Hey Elgenon - will be passing through this weekend so will take some pictures and send to you.

????

On 11/6/2021 at 7:43 AM, elgenon said:

You are a good man! Thanks in advance.

Hey.

Just got to Patong today and was going to take some pics for you but it looked like most of the work had stopped and the shutters were down again.

Mu guess is they were working towards a 1 Dec opening for nightlife, but now that is looking unlikely they have pulled the plug on any more work - but that is just my guess.

I go through regularly so will keep you updated. ????

1 hour ago, MarkT63 said:

Hey.

Just got to Patong today and was going to take some pics for you but it looked like most of the work had stopped and the shutters were down again.

Mu guess is they were working towards a 1 Dec opening for nightlife, but now that is looking unlikely they have pulled the plug on any more work - but that is just my guess.

Having said that, Bangla Road at night time over the past few weeks has been fairly busy, though not compared to pre-Covid times, and although I wasn't out on Saturday, a mate of mine said that it was fairly busy and more bars had opened.

I was out and about in Bangla six days ago and all of the music bars were open, as were many of the bars, and even a few bars in Soi Freedom had decided to open, and good luck to them, in fact good luck to all of the folks who are trying to make a living in these turbulent times, bars or not.

• Like 1

I am in Bangla virtually every night - I used to find it overpowering in previous years and needed to take a break every other day but I find the current vibe very comfortable.

What I notice most is that things are changing on virtually a daily basis - a few days ago Soi Sea Dragon was mainly a staff bike park but now most of the bars seem to be open but, as in previous years, it's only the bar at the far end and the one at the entrance that get any appreciable business.

Also, the customers last night seemed to be predominantly SEAsians, or maybe that was just in the non-girlie bars that I use. Whether they are Thai, Malaysian or other I can't tell but there are a lot of groups on "girls nights out". I've also noticed that the farang tourists are generally much younger than I recall and again, lots of single girls.

A few young hunks for the ladyboy freelancers to get excited about, but from what I see they are wasting their time - or maybe it kicks off after the bars have closed and I've set off home.

I was also pleased to note that there are now quite a few eateries open beside Bangla market up near Tiger. In years gone by I sometimes used to take a half-time drinking break and line my stomach with some deep-fried chicken and prawns so I might well do that later - weather permitting!

PS: Just stepped outside and It's raining steadily, plus there's a weather warning elsewhere on this site so it looks like I'm stuck with the Kamala expats this evening.

Edited by London Lowf
Weather update!
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, MarkT63 said:

Hey.

Thanks for the update. Is Patong able to circumvent the no alcohol thingy?

7 hours ago, elgenon said:

Thanks for the update. Is Patong able to circumvent the no alcohol thingy?

The majority of bars on Bangla are now fully open and selling alcohol without restrictions until 11pm - at which point a motorcade of traffic cops cruise along to make sure that sales heve stopped.

From what I have personally seen it is the same along Nanai and in the side sois all over Phuket.

Enjoy.....

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

The other Phuket English newspaper reported that the re-opening of bars and nightclubs pushed back to mid-January 2022.

I saw that but I also saw on Asean a photo of bars open with bargirls on Bangla Road. Were the bars actually closed and were they drinking tea? Sandbox thingy and all that.