Thai PM to Announce Thailand’s Climate Change Reduction Plans At COP26

webfact

0460b9da64ed21f060c4350976fd68af_small.jpg

By Suwit Rattiwan

BANGKOK (NNT) - Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha will announce Thailand’s commitment to reducing annual greenhouse gas emission by 20–25% by 2030 at the 2021 United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP26) in Glasgow, Scotland this week.

According to government spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana, Thailand’s long-term, environmentally friendly development strategies include drafting its own Climate Change Act as well as cooperating with international agencies to support climate change solutions, setting a target of having 15 million electric vehicles (EVs) on the roads by 2035 as a part of the country’s strategy to lower greenhouse gas emissions, stepping up nature-based solutions by planting about 100 million new trees across the country by the end of next year.

General Prayut will also address Thailand’s long-term low greenhouse gas emission development strategies (LT-LEDS), which is one of the main ambitions towards Thailand’s goal to achieving net-zero carbon emissions by 2065.

Accompanying the Thai delegation include Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai and Natural Resources and Environment Minister Varawut Silpa-archa.

The 2021 United Nations Climate Change Conference, also known as COP26, is the 26th United Nations Climate Change Conference. It is being held in Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom, between 31 October and 12 November 2021, under the co-presidency of the United Kingdom and Italy. The United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change mandates that all the members must reduce greenhouse gas emissions to keep within safe limits.

nnt.jpg

Seems some people still don't get it. Don't they know that mankind is in the grip of self-destructive addiction to economic growth? Don't they know the plan is actually to trash the planet in a single century - to go out in a blaze and have done with it?

• Haha 1

This ego boosting trip should supply some good photo-ops of the PM mixing with the movers and shakers, then back home quick quick out of the cold of Glasgow.

Thailand fall short of what is required so maybe some financial help from the West to meet targets might be on the agenda.

Edited by champers

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha will announce Thailand’s commitment to reducing annual greenhouse gas emission by 20–25% by 2030 at the 2021 United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP26) in Glasgow, Scotland this week.

What Prayut commits too and what happens in reality we all know are not the same thing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

According to government spokesman Thanakorn Wangboonkongchana, Thailand’s long-term, environmentally friendly development strategies include drafting its own Climate Change Act as well as cooperating with international agencies to support climate change solutions, setting a target of having 15 million electric vehicles (EVs) on the roads by 2035 as a part of the country’s strategy to lower greenhouse gas emissions, stepping up nature-based solutions by planting about 100 million new trees across the country by the end of next year.

I had to go to my local IO last week, 90 day was due again and the online system was dead.

Took the local bus as it's only a 40 minute run, the bus must be at least 40 years old, a real clunker.

Maybe he could start with changing all state run transport into EV's?

4 hours ago, Emdog said:

How about annual field burning alternative? And how about limiting how cold malls can be? Currently temp similar to a walk in freezer.

100%.

Went into my branch of the BKK bank....I felt sorry for all the staff.......all the girls had coats on.....ridiculous.

As a farang I found it too cold and waited outside for the boss.

• Like 2

Yes !

Ban whatever mushroom causes the mountain burning in CM with heavy penalties so people can breathe again 2 almost 3 months of the year.

Beyond a joke when parts of the city register highest pollution count in the world...just lots of empty lip-service till now from a carousel of cronies.

Yes, just so difficult to police such a big area - I know...thermal imaging would at least show the growing strips on burning land.

Firstly, I AM NOT a fan of this idiot and all the other idiots in his cabinet.

So now you know where I stand, the only bit of good news recently was the coming on line of that huge floating solar farm at one of the reservoirs, the dam also being hydroelectric as well, a good mix ???????? They just need to repeat that as often as possible in the many dams they have, it will also cut down on evaporation I should have thought.

But over the years I have been here they have had some right hair brained ideas for reducing pollution, wasn't one including water & molasses spread into the air to trap the filth and bring it down to street level to be washed away ?

Then the giant fans & filters to trap the gunk and spew clean air back into city streets, they never made a reappearance ????????

Perhaps if they started arresting people for illegally burning and giving them hefty fines & jail time it might prove to the country that the are serious about this, but I very much doubt that that will ever happen.

8 minutes ago, mikebell said:

How much air pollution is caused by cremating bodies?  Went to one in Bang Sare & there was a huge choking black pall reeking of diesel or kerosene.  Didn't fancy any of the refreshments served later.

Yeah, I went to one in a rural area where the weather blew the smoke and fumes over all those attending and the eating tent! They use gas mostly I believe.