Health officials warn drinkers not to breach COVID-19 rules

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

the Department of Health is urging drinkers to drink responsibly and continue practicing personal protective measures against COVID-19.

And what if a high alcohol level in the blood protects from being infected ...? May be the alcohol kills the virus ? 55 , everybody permanently drunk ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

And what if a high alcohol level in the blood protects from being infected ...? May be the alcohol kills the virus ? 55 , everybody permanently drunk ...

I expect it will be killing the host before killing the virus......0.5% will do it, far less than a hand sanitizer!

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, webfact said:

BANGKOK (NNT) - With alcohol now allowed to be served at restaurants in key tourism cities, the Department of Health is urging drinkers to drink responsibly and continue practicing personal protective measures against COVID-19. Restaurants are warned not to serve alcohol beyond the permitted hours.

Best of luck with that.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

That's been my modus operandi to prevent illness from the age of 17.  Never been sick a day in my life, but for some strange reason I always wake up with a headache.

A dram or two every night is good for you.

• Like 1

Just now, mikosan said:

That's what makes a complete mockery of the closure of bars and pubs and not allowing restaurants to sell alcohol, other than recently, in the few specified places.  The trade has simply gone underground, often hidden behind locked doors,

So let me think about this..... is Covid more likely to be spread in the crazy packed and crowded open revelry one used to see in Soi Cowboy or Nana Plaza or Mix Disco... than behind a few locked doors underground? Nope, do not need to.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

we will have to ditch the old -isms and coin new political phrases such as Idiocracy and Idiocracism to describe the current state of world political domination by a bunch of evil muppets.

"Covidiocy"   is the term I use.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Wabel said:

I’ve said before I drink sensibly only three days a week Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow in moderation 

That's far too much drinking - I only drink on days that have a Y in them.

11 hours ago, webfact said:
11 hours ago, webfact said:

Restaurants in Bangkok, Phuket, Krabi, and Phang Nga are now permitted to serve alcoholic drinks

Whoopee ! For reference for anyone considering visiting Cambodia (e-visas now available) :-

"Beer garden patrons and diners need not wait any longer as the once high risk business is now open to all nationwide"

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50964705/beer-gardens-allowed-to-reopen-nationwide/

However, night bars, night clubs, karaoke bars and KTV lounges remain closed.

I'm now off for a beer or two!!

7 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Authoritarianism used to be understood as suppression of speech, opinions, and association. You know, limiting our freedom to combat the system

Controlling behavior such as making it illegal to consume alcohol, get a massage or a haircut, go to your job of work, receiving an education, or observe the sunset from the beach, is not authoritarianism. 

At best it is totalitarianism, but even the word totalitarianism leads one to believe that the proponents of such a system at least have an ideology (albeit an evil ideology) that their machinations are based on.

But it's looking more and more as though we will have to ditch the old -isms and coin new political phrases such as Idiocracy and Idiocracism to describe the current state of world political domination by a bunch of evil muppets.

I am not sure what sort of "ism" label can be applied.

It is just layer after layer of self important busybodies bossing people around because they are important, and because once they have acquired (paid for) their position in authority their is no effective mechanism or protocols which define or limit what they can or cannot order. The only restriction is the degree to which they can influence the enforcement bodies, and their only criteria is how much cash they can make from it.

I don't know what sort of "ism" that is, but it is how it works.

41 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I am not sure what sort of "ism" label can be applied.

It is just layer after layer of self important busybodies bossing people around because they are important, and because once they have acquired (paid for) their position in authority their is no effective mechanism or protocols which define or limit what they can or cannot order. The only restriction is the degree to which they can influence the enforcement bodies, and their only criteria is how much cash they can make from it.

I don't know what sort of "ism" that is, but it is how it works.

You've described cronyism.  Thailand's system of government is a combination of cronyism and nepotism. 

But even these two -isms, as distasteful as they may be, have a fundamental ideology behind them that I can almost live with. 

And at least they are honest in their dishonesty - unlike western politicians who pretend they are more virtuous than Mother Theresa while not even giving you the benefit of a reach around while they are reaming you from behind using vaseline they stole from you.

• Haha 2

The halfwits running Thailand and their soft-headed parrots actually believe the nonsense they spew forth.  They actually believe that Covid is somehow spread at night, through alcohol, but NOT during the day in crowded factories.  That's why one is open and the other closed.

And let's not forget the scary chlorinated pools, or the surface of every object in Thailand. ????

Edited by Used2LuvThailand
Correction
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

That's far too much drinking - I only drink on days that have a Y in them.

As advised by numerous sources, happiness rises on d day. Hence only drink on days with a “d”in it 

• Haha 1

As the immortal Shane MacGowan once said (well sang) 

“See the man
The crushed up man
With the crushed up Carrolls packet in his hand
Doesn't seem to see or care
Or even understand
And all he says is:

F yez all, F yez all, F yez all

Once he stood in a bar room brawl
With a broken bottle in his hand

F yez all, F yez all, F yez all, F yez all”

14 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

You've described cronyism.  Thailand's system of government is a combination of cronyism and nepotism. 

But even these two -isms, as distasteful as they may be, have a fundamental ideology behind them that I can almost live with. 

And at least they are honest in their dishonesty - unlike western politicians who pretend they are more virtuous than Mother Theresa while not even giving you the benefit of a reach around while they are reaming you from behind using vaseline they stole from you.

There is no doubt that cronyism and nepotism play a very large part in putting these people into positions of authority. 

The point I am trying to make is that once in a position of authority, they cannot resist using there position to dictate what people can and cannot do - boss people around in other words. The enforcement agencies ( principally the police) seem to assess their role and support that authority simply on the basis of how much money they can raise from enforcing it.

So you have the bizarre situation whereby there is no apparent check or review on the instructions, however contradictory or obviously pointless, issued to satisfy the desires of those in authority.

If enforcement is lucrative then they are then used as licence to demand money. If it is not lucrative or is difficult then the instructions are simply ignored.

It is a quite bizarre way to run a country, and completely inhibits any coherent policy!

• Like 1

On 11/4/2021 at 8:01 AM, Gsxrnz said:

That's been my modus operandi to prevent illness from the age of 17.  Never been sick a day in my life, but for some strange reason I always wake up with a headache.

They do say that pickling can drastically extend the shelf-life of food, preventing the build up of harmful bacteria.  It stands to reason that it would also be highly effective with humans, prolonging life and protecting from viruses and other contagions.

• Like 1