Duration of health insurance req'd for Thailand Pass for non 'o' retirement visa holders

05 11 2021.  I am going to France for a short trip.  With the COE covid insurance requirement it seemed that it would be needed until the next 1 year extension would be applied for.  I will be coming back at the beginning of Dec. and my retirement visa needs to be extended for a year at the end of Jan. 2022.  So I plan to get a 2 month iPass from Tune insurance that specifically notes it is for the 'new' entry requirements.  I have an exit, re entry stamp in my passport.

Am I understanding this correctly?  I believe that health insurance (except for this Thai pass 'coe') is not required for non 'o' visas. 

btw...The Thaiger news, episode 124 has a bit of live action experience that Mike (of the Thaiger) has been having with the new version of the COE that the authorities have named 'Thailand Pass'.  

Thanks very much for any comments

• Confused 1

It is not needed if you're in the country but once you leave and want to come back you'll have to buy that $50,000 coverage for the duration that you intend to stay in Thailand and that goes for all types of permits even for non O one...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You are correct that the insurance needs to valid to the day your extension of stay expires in January. That is the day you will be stamped into the country.

Am I correct in thinking that (suppose) you arrive in Thailand Dec 1st and your extension is valid until January 15th, that you only have to buy 2 months worth of insurance to be covered (Dec and January??)

4 minutes ago, MJCM said:

Am I correct in thinking that (suppose) you arrive in Thailand Dec 1st and your extension is valid until January 15th, that you only have to buy 2 months worth of insurance to be covered (Dec and January??)

The insurance is issued in increments of 30 days so he would need to have 60 days of insurance on the day he enters the country's.

• Like 2

Yes you are correct, the insurance just need to cover up to the date of your next renewal, which is Jan 2022. I would put an extra couple of days to be on the safe side. For your new extension no insurance is required.

30 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Correct.

Sort of ridiculous.

I just renewed my extension and would like to visit Oz briefly early next year.

Will mean that I will be stamped in with ~ 10 months on my entry stamp.

Insurance required for that period. Stupid.

Same...my reentry permit expires mid next year and bought 7 months travel insurance....but I'm going to Oz in Feb for a month, and my travel insurance covers my stay there ????

One month insurance wasted, but the alternative was to enter exempt and do again non-O conversion after coming back from Oz, not worth the hassle.

5 minutes ago, gearbox said:

Same...my reentry permit expires mid next year and bought 7 months travel insurance....but I'm going to Oz in Feb for a month, and my travel insurance covers my stay there ????

One month insurance wasted, but the alternative was to enter exempt and do again non-O conversion after coming back from Oz, not worth the hassle.

Please enlighten me.

How does travel insurance fall into this? We have travel insurance (from a Thai Company) but this will NOT cover (or only very minor) us in Thailand, so how can you use this insurance to get back into Thailand? Or do you have also other (regular) HEALTH insurance???

Thx

Edited by MJCM

1 hour ago, Robin said:

My impression is that this medical insurance is a way of Thailand screwing us for more money.

As do a lot of others on here, but what they can't explain is how does that work when you can buy a policy anyplace in the world? Pretty poor scam when you can't get your hands on the money IMO.

• Haha 1

Just now, Sheryl said:

I do not believe this entry requirement is in any way a local money making "scam".  It is prompted by genuine concern about unpaid hospital bills.

Unfortunately the solution being applied is poorly thought out and fails to take into account a cost of factors.

Agreed, and getting tired of the constant "insurance scam" posts but never seem to get a reply when I call someone out on it, even posted a list of countries that have had insurance requirements since before Covid and the silence is deafening ... then "insurance scam!" again 555

7 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I do not believe this entry requirement is in any way a local money making "scam".  It is prompted by genuine concern about unpaid hospital bills.

Unfortunately the solution being applied is poorly thought out and fails to take into account a cost of factors.

I 100% agree especially with that last sentence!

We (Farang with Thai Wife) have an European HEALTH insurance which works by COST Price so they don't have a fixed limit (if it's 1 Million they pay, if it's 10 Million they also will pay etc)

Try explaining this to a Immigration Official!

I am now trying to get a document from my Insurer which states limits, but not holding my breath!

Maybe because of this I have to get an extra insurance when I want to travel just to cover me till my extension at Immigration is up for renewal (Pain in the ..... ???? )

Edited by MJCM

1 minute ago, passiflora said:

I'll be back in Thailand on 9th January, my Non O, visa is valid until 9 February (but I must extend it around 1st Feb, should I buy a 30 or 60 days Insurance? 

Thx for your advice 

AFAIK 2 months worth so it covers January and February!!

6 minutes ago, passiflora said:

I'll be back in Thailand on 9th January, my Non O, visa is valid until 9 February (but I must extend it around 1st Feb, should I buy a 30 or 60 days Insurance? 

Thx for your advice 

According to my date calculator that is 31 days.

That means you would need 60 days unless you found insurance that is issued by number of days instead of 30 day increments.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, passiflora said:

Thx for your advice 

30 days as that's all you will be stamped in for on entry.

Edit: <deleted>, I can't count 555

Postpone your flight for a couple of days ????

Edited by Salerno
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

According to my date calculator that is 31 days.

That means you would need 60 days unless you found insurance that is issued by number of days instead of 30 day increments.

The 1 year extension can be applied for several weeks (?) before the expiration date so if insurance is just 1 or 2 days (+) short of a 30 day policy then an early 1 year's extension could be applied for.  Is this correct?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, notrub said:

The 1 year extension can be applied for several weeks (?) before the expiration date so if insurance is just 1 or 2 days (+) short of a 30 day policy then an early 1 year's extension could be applied for.  Is this correct?

Yeah it could work, but whatif you can't go to Immigration etc etc, so many variables.

IMHO It would be best to be on the safe side and get the 2 month one!