What's your monthly residential water consumption?

We just got our first water bill (lived in a village with its own well for years prior) and it shows a usage of 51'000 liters in the meter period of 30 days.

Is that normal? The number seems excessively high to me, but it's very hard to judge just how much water a shower takes, etc. And well, yeah, I admittedly have no experience with it whatsoever.

Thus, can you share yours?

We're a 3-bedroom house with 2 bathrooms, and a small family of 3 (wife, me, daughter).

Do I need to  go look for a leak?

Fan

My MWA bill does not specify any measurable amounts except for the difference between meter reading last month and this month. We use bottled water so that's something to consider and in rainy season really not watering the garden at all. Shows a useage of '3'....not sure what that translates into ? 2 people....but mainly 1 most of the week as GF works in BKK and stays 4 days with Mom at her place.

Where do you see liters ?

Our extended family of 8 average about 45 here in Bangkok so unless you using for farm irrigation indeed does appear very high.  But perhaps covers usage before you arrived?

The measurement is in cubic meters (1,000 liters) below invoice date on MWA receipts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Our extended family of 8 average about 45 here in Bangkok so unless you using for farm irrigation indeed does appear very high.  But perhaps covers usage before you arrived?

The measurement is in cubic meters (1,000 liters) below invoice date on MWA receipts.

Thanks...then I'm hitting 3000 liters per month. If you double that if GF stayed here 7 days per week...then 6000 expected.

• Haha 1

In my previous Moo Bahn I would typically pay 500-600B a month - government rates. I can't remember the consumption but that was for three adults and a child.  One of the adults didn't take 40 minute showers or routinely leave the garden hose running overnight.

1 minute ago, Gsxrnz said:

In my previous Moo Bahn I would typically pay 500-600B a month - government rates. I can't remember the consumption but that was for three adults and a child.  One of the adults didn't take 40 minute showers or routinely leave the garden hose running overnight.

The others must have.  ????  My bill for 8 using 45 cubic meters is under 500 baht per month. 

• Like 1

We are in Pattaya city, 3 Bed 4 bathroom.

3 adults and 1 Seven year old

Our monthly bill is averaging 8,000-10,000 liters per month, Average costs are 132. THB

I think the rate is approx. 0.013-0.014

our garden is 10m-10m so not very big,

The rate may change depending on usage, as it may be higher if you use more than 10k-20k-30k etc  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Crossy said:

We use around 30m3 (1m3 = 1,000 litres) per month.

Just the two of us now grand kids are back to school with container plants watering.

@Na Fan I would certainly be looking for a leak / dripping tap / weepy toilet valve.

if not hearing the pump/switch go on and off when not running water in the house...look before that in the system..not uncommon around here (Nonthaburi) these clay soils shift and sometimes joint come loose or pipes crack. Might not be easy to find if buried.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Crossy said:

We use around 30m3 (1m3 = 1,000 litres) per month.

Just the two of us now grand kids are back to school with container plants watering.

@Na Fan I would certainly be looking for a leak / dripping tap / weepy toilet valve.

On the first of the month, you fill up the bathtub and use the same water each day. End of month, use the water for your plants and fill up with fresh water.

Very economical.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

Or brother comes over for a shower once or twice a day.

i don't think a shower will create that much, +30,000 is HUGE

its overflowing somewhere or leaking 

• Like 1

51,000L is high, maybe your bill is a cumulation of previous months.

My monthly water bill for our 3 bedroom/2 bath, 2 adults, 2 kids home/gardening business using 17,000L of government water aprox 200b per month.

OP if you can't find a leak or reason for the high meter reading this could be a culprit.  I don't know how true this is but my wife says if the government water supply is cut off (due to scheduled maintenance or emergency work) and we don't close the valve between the government pipe and our meter and tank, when the tank level drops it will try to top up even though there is no water coming in and air will rush in and cause the meter to spin and when the technicians come for a meter reading it will be higher than what we actually received.   

Edited by bbko

5 hours ago, bolt said:

if you are using 51,000, i suspect a leak 

Or check your overflow –ball cock

Maybe its refilling continuously

YES!

It is staggering how much you can lose with a seemingly small, steady leak 24/7.

We had a toilet overflow (in Germany) run for about a month.......that cost a 'fortune'.

• Like 1

We handle the water bill for our neighbor, he does not live here year round - water bill averages THB 1800. We suggested to have the system checked - he does not care.

During the rainy season, for the two of us, with pool, the city water bill averages around THB 200. Drinking water is another THB 1200.