Round trip plane ticket required?

We're considering the Tourist Visa, which gives 60 days, plus an extension of 30 days apparently. However it says a round trip plane ticket is required for the visa, I assume for exiting the country in 60 days?  so does this mean we have to pay all the ridiculous expense of changing our ticket if we get the extension?  What's the trick? is there a trick?

i travel frequently and for all countries I fly into,  I buy a fully refundable and changeable return ticket to show the arline and immigration at arrival, i(in other words i buy two one ways, one ticket i will actually use to fly into a country and an expensive refundable that showns a return that i will not use) if my visa is extended  or my plans change i can change the return date to show at immigration, I later cancel the ticket and buy an onward ticket from wherever I am,

but beware that:

a fully refundable AND changeable ticket is expensive so you will need funds and note their cancellation policy

use a credit card and buy direct from a MAJOR  airline-makes it easier to cancel

buy from a major airline-i had a huge hassle getting a refund from air asia

you can buy a ticket to the cheapest foreign detstination to show immigration, it doesnt have to be back to your home country, example when i fly into the Phil i show my ticket to guam (a cheaper ticket  than back to usa mainland)

also, you will have to buy a return ticket in Thailand and the two one way tickets will cost more than a roundtrip but it does give you flexibility

there are other ways but this has always worked for me flying into both europe and asia, hope this helped

• Confused 1

The trick most people use in your situation to save money is to buy a one-way ticket into Thailand. Also, buy some cheap ticket out on the date your initial visa period would end (say, a ticket from Bangkok to someplace close like Laos or Cambodia). Then, extend your visa and buy your return ticket back to your place of origin. That seems to be a cheaper plan than changing an original round-trip ticket. 

• Like 2

I got my Thailand pass stating an intended 30 days of stay and didn't buy any return ticket. Pre-corona there were horror stories of people being rejected entry based on no return ticket or lack of cash to show to the immigration officer. Now I would be very surprised if they got picky about those things. I'd tell them that I'm planning on extending my 30 day visa exemption a further 30 days and perhaps do so more than once before I book a trip to Malaysia or Vietnam. This time I see the honest way to be the best course of action since they definitely need people to go there, stay there and spend there.

If immigration officer doesn't want to allow that for whatever reason, I am ready to book a cheap ticket out on the spot (Malaysia, Cambodia, the cheapest). I find this scenario to be extremely unlikely though.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The onward ticket is to satisfy airline for issuing boarding pass at departure.

OP you have coupe of options.

That is not required unless he is entering visa exempt. He asked about a tourist visa.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, sdweller said:

so does this mean we have to pay all the ridiculous expense of changing our ticket if we get the extension? 

You need to do a bit more homework. Many airlines are offering flexible tickets with changes free of charge.

I recently altered my emirates ticket to June next year, the change was free of charge but had to pay the increased tax imposed by Heathrow as the ticket was bought at the beginning of this year.

All depends on your interpretation of "ridiculous".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sandyf said:

Many airlines are offering flexible tickets with changes free of charge.

I recently altered my emirates ticket to June next year, the change was free of charge

Not only flexible, but fully refundable.  Many airlines (including emirates) are allowing full refunds of any ticket purchased.  I've purchased and refunded a couple of emirates tickets this year-- it's super easy with just a couple of clicks online.

• Like 2

I usually fly using Chase/United miles points. Maybe the best thing about the program is that if you are paying with miles, every flight is one-way--if you book a round trip, that is two one way trips. The result compared to most situations with most airlines paying cash is that one-way trips are more reasonably priced. 

So I've been flying to BKK from SFO normally on a one-way booking with no booked out flight. Twice airlines have questioned me about this, and both times I deflected it based mainly on my long-stay status.

But is this something that I and others should worry about now? Can we just double check with the airline by phone?

For the flight I have coming up United flies me to Seoul, then Asiana takes me to BKK. I've never been questioned by United. Thanks.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gim12 said:

i travel frequently and for all countries I fly into,  I buy a fully refundable and changeable return ticket to show the arline and immigration at arrival, i(in other words i buy two one ways, one ticket i will actually use to fly into a country and an expensive refundable that showns a return that i will not use) if my visa is extended  or my plans change i can change the return date to show at immigration, I later cancel the ticket and buy an onward ticket from wherever I am,

but beware that:

a fully refundable AND changeable ticket is expensive so you will need funds and note their cancellation policy

use a credit card and buy direct from a MAJOR  airline-makes it easier to cancel

buy from a major airline-i had a huge hassle getting a refund from air asia

you can buy a ticket to the cheapest foreign detstination to show immigration, it doesnt have to be back to your home country, example when i fly into the Phil i show my ticket to guam (a cheaper ticket  than back to usa mainland)

also, you will have to buy a return ticket in Thailand and the two one way tickets will cost more than a roundtrip but it does give you flexibility

there are other ways but this has always worked for me flying into both europe and asia, hope this helped

errr … are you maybe being a little silly? I’m no guru but have read here many times that only an onward ticket is required to enter Thailand … say a cheap flight to Vietnam or wherever. No need at all for your self-admittedly expensive ‘solution’ … but of course if you find it fun, knock yourself out.

Others will also point out the slightly greyer ‘rent a ticket’ approach.

• Like 1

I think the airline will want the return ticket to be in line with your 60 day TV. If not it may cause an issue trying to board. I boarded a couple of years ago in Manchester UK visa exempt. I had a return from Bangkok 90 days. Lufthansa wouldn't let me board until I resolved showing them an interim flight to Nepal for 30 days. I was doing two seperate visa exempt durations. Checkin had to go off to see a manager and get clearance to let me board. 

So I am saying you may get an issue boarding if your flight and 60 day TV are not inline. 

I plan same as you next trip. I thought I might go TV from UK Etihad to BKK 60 day flight return. Free flight change (credit to your Etihad account) if done and new flight bought before 21 May 2022, new flight can be after that date. This is changing segments (return part) of a return ticket. Anyone know if that sounds OK. Two single flights are more expensive? Or with a credit am I buying a new single return flight anyway. I am going to ring the airline if that is possible to get there advice and will post back.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JCP108 said:

The trick most people use in your situation to save money is to buy a one-way ticket into Thailand. Also, buy some cheap ticket out on the date your initial visa period would end (say, a ticket from Bangkok to someplace close like Laos or Cambodia). Then, extend your visa and buy your return ticket back to your place of origin. That seems to be a cheaper plan than changing an original round-trip ticket. 

You can't buy a ticket to Laos as far as I know now. Border closed 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

To apply for the tourist you will probably need a ticket out of the country within 60 days.

It can be a one way ticket to anywhere or temporary onward flight you can buy online. It does not have to be a round trip ticket.

After you have the visa you will not need to show the ticket again.

Wow. I'm glad you mentioned this. I thought a ticket with a 90 day return on 60 day visa ( with 30 day extension ) was possible. It's just that short flight throw away tickets are harder to find cheap with such few places to choose from now. The one other thing I was hoping to know is that on  the LA Thai consulate website it says a simple 60 day tourist visa takes a minimum of 15 working days!! This seems utterly insane!  Then your next step is to apply for Thailand pass which is 7 possible working days to get. It means you have to plan about 6 weeks ahead now! Also for a 90 day visit ( if you are willing to even go through those hoops) would require a 90 day health insurance with covid coverage so people should not try to match up 60 day tourist visa with 60 day health coverage.  Can a simple tourist visa actually take a minimum of 15 working days?? Any reports? Minimum 15 what's MAXIMUM lol?  Thanks.  

59 minutes ago, Martin Brit said:

I think the airline will want the return ticket to be in line with your 60 day TV. If not it may cause an issue trying to board. I boarded a couple of years ago in Manchester UK visa exempt. I had a return from Bangkok 90 days. Lufthansa wouldn't let me board until I resolved showing them an interim flight to Nepal for 30 days. I was doing two seperate visa exempt durations. Checkin had to go off to see a manager and get clearance to let me board. 

So I am saying you may get an issue boarding if your flight and 60 day TV are not inline. 

I plan same as you next trip. I thought I might go TV from UK Etihad to BKK 60 day flight return. Free flight change (credit to your Etihad account) if done and new flight bought before 21 May 2022, new flight can be after that date. This is changing segments (return part) of a return ticket. Anyone know if that sounds OK. Two single flights are more expensive? Or with a credit am I buying a new single return flight anyway. I am going to ring the airline if that is possible to get there advice and will post back.

Can't get to talk to Etihad about this & no twitter response, but I worked out a rtn flight for me is £411, return leg being £156 of that. So I would get £156 credit back (I think a new ticket option has to be used in 3 months, credit within 2 yrs). Single rtn flight home is £366. So using the refund/credit option total cost is £621. If I get two singles £818. Please comment if I am totally wrong.

9 hours ago, BananaGuy said:

errr … are you maybe being a little silly? I’m no guru but have read here many times that only an onward ticket is required to enter Thailand … say a cheap flight to Vietnam or wherever. No need at all for your self-admittedly expensive ‘solution’ … but of course if you find it fun, knock yourself out.

Others will also point out the slightly greyer ‘rent a ticket’ approach.

AS I SAID ABOVE "buy it to the cheapest foreign destination" , in other words, an onward ticket,   put it on your credit card and later cancel, it costs NOTHING and is cheaper then a rent a ticket. I dont find it fun but I do find cancelling a ticket online is easy, costs nothing, keeps your options open and  immigration happy. 

It is only "expensive" in the fact that you need to have the funds to buy an expensive, but refundable ticket,

I just applied to a STV using a round-trip ticket with an exit date ~ 120 days from enter (i.e. after the first extension). 

A STV, for you who don't know, is 90 days + 2 x 90 day extensions. There are some anecdotal evidence that embassies require a return/outbound ticket within the 90 days. If I'm declined by this petty reason I'll buy a random outbound ticket. 

As ive noted before Im leaving for BKK next week--Ive been coming to LOS since 2008 yearly for few months each time aka snowbird

Ive NEVER had a visa and always ONE way-----I come from the USA and get the 'visa exempt" stamp for 30 free days--then extend for another 30 for 1900bt

Then since Im up north I take the 5 hr bus to Mae sai-burma border and do a border jump and get another 30 day stamp free and extend THAT one, 30/ 1900bt

If im up for it back in the day I would do the laos trip and get a actual visa there...but thats a haul and night stay in laos--buy laos throwaway visa etc....

So proof it can be done---Ive done it a dozen times....only maybe been "asked" about it 2x..i only take a carry on and say Im leaving LOS after the 30 days....

1 hour ago, gim12 said:

AS I SAID ABOVE "buy it to the cheapest foreign destination" , in other words, an onward ticket,   put it on your credit card and later cancel, it costs NOTHING and is cheaper then a rent a ticket. I dont find it fun but I do find cancelling a ticket online is easy, costs nothing, keeps your options open and  immigration happy. 

It is only "expensive" in the fact that you need to have the funds to buy an expensive, but refundable ticket,

Apologies, i missed that and read your talk of return and two one-way tickets as being back to your original destination.

Anyhow, if you are happy to rely on your airline to cancel and promptly and fully refund on a regular basis then i'm happy for you. Is the cancellation 'at their discretion'? Digging through the fine-print of their terms and conditions will tell you.

My experience of airlines, credit providers and insurers? There is always a get-out for them if they choose to drop the gate on you. Sure, you may be able to litigate/complain your refund later, but at what cost?

In Australia and (UK to my knowledge) your scheme of obtaining financial advantage likely amounts to fraud. Maybe something in your fine-print about that.

Depending on a corporate to provide you with free credit - repeatedly - and as you say you do it every trip - predictably? Best of luck. The interest and 'at risk' cost of your pre-payment/refund habit surely gets close to the $20 (or whatever) rent-a-ticket method.

22 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Wow. I'm glad you mentioned this. I thought a ticket with a 90 day return on 60 day visa ( with 30 day extension ) was possible. It's just that short flight throw away tickets are harder to find cheap with such few places to choose from now. The one other thing I was hoping to know is that on  the LA Thai consulate website it says a simple 60 day tourist visa takes a minimum of 15 working days!! This seems utterly insane!  Then your next step is to apply for Thailand pass which is 7 possible working days to get. It means you have to plan about 6 weeks ahead now! Also for a 90 day visit ( if you are willing to even go through those hoops) would require a 90 day health insurance with covid coverage so people should not try to match up 60 day tourist visa with 60 day health coverage.  Can a simple tourist visa actually take a minimum of 15 working days?? Any reports? Minimum 15 what's MAXIMUM lol?  Thanks.  

That might be the least of your problems:

Visa application system is temporary unavailable due to system maintenance.
The system will resume on 18 November 2021 and the processing time might take
longer than usual. Sorry for any inconvenience.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2021 at 12:47 PM, Martin Brit said:

On 11/10/2021 at 10:32 PM, ourdon said:

I have applied for an STV with only a one way ticket into Thailand.  The approval email just popped into my in box.  WooHoo!!!!

Now it's time to start on the simplified Thailand Pass.  Hmmmm

It is the airline on the day you travel to BKK that might apprehend you if you don't have the exit flight when you check-in. Also Thai immigration may pick it up. Would love to know how you get on. I got caught  checking in at Manchester UK with Lufthansa, 90 day return ticket, no visa (going 30 day visa exempt). I had to show them my Nepal flight, my trip was for 30 exempt , fly to Nepal 30 days, back for 30 days exempt Thailand. I had a 15 minute wait for it to be sorted out. My point is they picked up on the 90 day flight return and no visa to match.

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 4:23 PM, Manassas said:

Planning my trip now and have same question.

I just booked my flight, going to try to stay 6 months. Got 60 day SETV, one way ticket Qatar from UK to BKK. A cheap £40 Bangkok to Singapore dated within the 60 day period, I will cancel & not use this flight. Apply for 30 day extension and see visa agent for possibility of a further 3 months. If I get this buy in advance a one way home (will not need a flex option). I am finding the additional cost of a ticket home (flex ticket) expensive compared to buying one without flex. Overall works out best price for my scenario. 

• Like 1

Last time I flew ( seems ages ago now ) I had a return flight booked giving me almost 90 days , and a SETV . They asked me about this and I explained it was easy to extend the stay by another 30 days . They accepted this and everything was ok . 

If I do the same thing this year , I might print out a copy of the visa information page , showing what is possible , just in case they decide to be awkward at check-in .

Would book cheapest flight out as others suggest. Aside from immigration possibly picking it up, main reason is the airline carries the can (initially) if you were refused entry on the basis of not having an exit flight for length of stay and thus would have to fly you back. The airline wouldn’t care where onward ticket is to since it alleviates them. 

Was quizzed many moons ago from UK on visa exempt with one way ticket in days of bouncing borders. Let me go eventually, but obviously things have tightened. Probably fine with non-imm visa, though nowadays I’d be backing it up with a throwaway flight.