Thailand’s first floating solar panel power plant begins operation

webfact

2 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Before installing it , you have to calculate how many watts you need every day to run your appliances . once you figured that out , you buy panels for the double of that amount ...

If having PEA service, look at your bill for kw/units use and simply divide by 30.  I think most can get by or supplement their electric needs with a 7.5KWS for daytime use.

Presently were using < 700 kw / units a month, although only 1 sm AC on most of 24 hrs, if not on AC, then dehumidify mode overnight.

Old house, larger and 4 ACs and we used 2X the electric. 

New house build, and I figure we'll use 1000+/- kw or 33 kw/units a day w/battery back-up for overnight & early morning till solar kicks in direct from panels.  1 lg AC daytime, 1 sm AC nighttime.

Grid for back up, JIC.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You get more electricity production in the winter with clear skies, than you do in the summer with monsoon.

Also, high ambient temperatures actually lessen the productivity of a solar cell. Of course, in this case, that's not going to be a problem. Which is another plus for a system like this.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Good point but the dam was built to retain water for agricultural benefit..

Not exclusively.

The Sirindhorn Dam is in Sirindhorn District, Ubon Ratchatani, Thailand.[3] It impounds the Lam Dom Noi River, and its reservoir is the province's largest water resource. The dam was commissioned in 1971 to serve as a hydropower facility as well as to supply irrigation water. The dam was named after Princess Royal Sirindhorn. All of the electricity generated by the dam is destined for domestic markets. The dam was constructed and is owned and operated by the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand and is located in the Mekong River Basin, just upstream from the controversial Pak Mun Dam.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirindhorn_Dam

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cmarshall said:

Sounds like the basis for a solution to me.

I agree, looks promising, for Southern Australia: having a huge power outage in 2016 taught them some lessons. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, MrMuddle said:

I'd love to fit solar panels to my house, but don't know where to start. Is there any "how to" advice available in both Thai and English?

Have a look in the "Thailand/Real Estate/alternative energy" section of this forum. Plenty of info on How To there.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I agree, looks promising, for Southern Australia: having a huge power outage in 2016 taught them some lessons. 

Australia has a big problem with not enough synchronous plant…ie rotating plant generation. But that was not the cause of the 2016 blackout.

11 hours ago, JAS21 said:

Australia has a big problem with not enough synchronous plant…ie rotating plant generation. But that was not the cause of the 2016 blackout.

I thought I read it was something to do with the Wind Farms and over protection.

Anyhow,  Australia exports it's pollution along with it's coal. 

I thought I read it was something to do with the Wind Farms and over protection.

Well, it had to do with winds of a sort.

SA's statewide blackout was five years ago — here's how energy supply has evolved since then

Among the more surreal and enduring images from South Australia's infamous statewide blackout are the photos of electricity transmission towers collapsed and contorted in foggy fields.

On the afternoon of September 28, 2016, twin tornados ripped through SA's mid north, damaging critical infrastructure and shutting off power to the entire state.

More than 20 of the giant pylons were knocked out, folding in on themselves as if Uri Geller had somehow magicked them into submission.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-09-28/sa-statewide-blackout-anniversary-energy-impacts/100496564

Something good did come of it however. Tesla built a 100 megawatt battery that can protect the power system. In addition, it helps to regulate power levels within the system and by doing so extends its lifetime.

Yes…the information that I had from my son, and I’ve also read a bit, named six factors. Initial cause was severe weather damaging plant. He is part of a team looking into  the non synchronous generation problem.