Triple motorcycle tragedy: Mother and twins die in Pathum Thani - father grievous in hospital

webfact

lots of speculation about safety , helmets amount of riders, A 22 wheel truck trailer  which is actually a 12 wheel trailer and 10 wheel truck .. nevertheless, without actually knowing anything at all about how this accident happened, i’m just not going to speculate without viewing cctv of some kind of evidence which no doubt come to light , so for all you speculators give it a rest , your just gossiping gor the sake of it as you know nothing .., 

im a hgv1 driver and also a biker .., i will wait to see the facts first before wittering on about safety and a blame game … 

incidentally for all you safety cotton wool dudes, i remember watching a biker parked up at traffic lights wearing a helmet a solo rider fully insured, taxed expensive helmet , along comes a bus at walking pace into the next lane clips his back wheel tossing the rider under the wheels in almost slow motion , needless to say his skull was crushed and obviously he was killed doing zero speed in all safety gear …. motion is commen sence risk kills so does stupidly and lack of skills - wait n see as i’m as interested as the next person…

RIP to the victims no one deserves that , 

Edited by flyingfox1

6 hours ago, fakser said:

Government does not want the proletarian to buy cars. Roads are digested already. 

About 8 years ago they had that government program to reduce interest rates for car loans and quite a lot of people did get cars at that time. This made traffic worse, esp in urban areas. I don't think it made roads safer. The key to road safety: enforcement of road safety laws. That doesn't look like it will happen any time soon in Thailand. 

16 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

That rule exists, as does the helmet rule. 

What doesn’t exist is enforcement - the Police and those in positions of decision making power enable the continued road deaths with an absence of enforcement. 

It seems ‘additional tolerance’ is afforded to the poor as they lack alternatives for transport and don’t have money to pay for fines for not wearing a helmet - its almost as if people in positions of decision making power don’t care - well, not almost, they just don’t. 

Well said, and very sad, I went in a big truck once to show him where we lived , scarred the hell out of me, the driver had no concerns for bikes or anyone, he had a cab full of empty red bull bottles, he smoked all the way while talking on his phone and speeding and halving overtaking duals with other trucks.

I used to drive my kid to school in Hua Hin every morning and the bikes scared me, cutting in front of me at intersections,loaded up with 2/3 kids, it’s tragedy waiting to happen every day, very sad

If the police saw 4 farangs on a motorbike what do you think they would do then?

A friend of mine was driving down beach road in Pattaya and a thai girl came out of a soi on a motorbike and ran into him .

a policeman came along and fined him. when my mate protested the cop said ,

she small thai on motorbike you big falang in car so you pay, he actually followed my mate all the way out to the dark side to get cash as my mate did not have much on him, TIT.

21 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

How about improving the wages of the working class so they can afford a car? 

That won't help ,because very very few Thais can control a Vehicle of any kind in the correct manner.

They just don't seem to get it regarding any sort of driving. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

This picture I took outside Buriram a few years back.

DSC00096.JPG

Of course this is only one picture but it kind of debunks the claim of poor people not being able to afford helmets or fines.

I would wager, a lot of people in this position choose to not afford a helmet. After all walking through Klong Toei "slum" are one will see mobile phones in most hands and TV sets in most homes. So what it seem to come down to is priority of spending.

As with regards to not being able to afford fines, where I come from one goes to jail equal to the fine value. I bet the prospect of that would sort out the majority of non-compliance to (safety) laws. That obviously touches a whole other topic of corrupt and lazy police force as well as governance.

18 hours ago, Russell17au said:

I would bet that the father tried to pass the truck on the lefthand side while it was turning left which even if the truck was going straight ahead it is an offence with a 500B fine for passing on the left of a vehicle but motorbikes continually do it. The biggest problem is that everyone including the police need to be paid a reasonable wage and the police need to be SUPPLIED with the correct equipement to do the job and not have to buy it out of their own pockets and they need to be made to get out on the roads and patrol them and enforce the road laws and forget about these stupid checkpoints. The father was stupid for having the mother and 2 children on the bike at the same time and he was stupid for trying to underpass a turning truck. Now the father has paid a very big price for his stupidity, he has lost his wife and 2 children because of this

When my friend took the test for motorbike drivers license in Udon Thani, one of the questions was "Is it allowed to pass a car on the lefthand side?". He answered no, but was told that the correct answer should be "Yes, if there is enough space".

• Confused 1

Bunch of entitled white people posting here, moaning about how dangerous it is, why do the police not do something ?

Many people in LOS are poor, bike is all they can afford.

Oh, but they have a fone ? Try thinking how do they find work if no one can fone them ?

Take your head - with all its concepts and ideas of the 'Way things should be" and realize what the situation is here in this country with poor people.

Your arrogance is surpassed only by your ignorance

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Xonax said:

When my friend took the test for motorbike drivers license in Udon Thani, one of the questions was "Is it allowed to pass a car on the lefthand side?". He answered no, but was told that the correct answer should be "Yes, if there is enough space".

In Thailand you are allowed to overtake on the left if the vehicle in the right hand lane is doing a U-Turn and is indicating to do so.

Phuket - Renting a Car and Driving

Edited by IvorBiggun2

On 11/13/2021 at 8:44 AM, JCP108 said:

Very sad. How about a rule (that is enforced) that limits the number of people on one motorcycle to no more than two?

Good idea, unless you are dirt poor and can't afford any other form of transport for your family , which is the case for millions here. Its a very tough life for many in Asia and other parts of the poorer world and few choices for the majority, so it will keep happening. 

2 minutes ago, Road Warrior said:

very sad   but thais will never see the stupid danger as bike is make for TWO not all family 

They don't have a choice, its very often this way or no way. You can't just look at these situations with a Western head on. 

20 hours ago, PaDavid said:

Are there any statistics which show the number of people killed in accidents involving HGVs?

It doesn’t matter how well protected a motorcyclist and passengers are, they don’t stand a chance when up against a poorly driven, badly serviced and overloaded monster - especially on Thailand’s poorly maintained roads. 

I feel really sorry for this family.

I know it is not the case here, but are there any statistics for the deaths of underage riders or people killed by them? I know, silly question.

Nobody seems to be advocating that the only person responsible for your safety is yourself. Instead society has passed the buck to government to make rules to "ensure" our safety.  It don't work. 

In Thailand there is a natural vehicular pecking order that you ignore at your peril. Trucks (especially concrete mixers) have first priority because whatever they do "illegally" will kill you - avoid being in their way, it's your responsibility.  If you are in a position where they are able to nail you, it's your fault for being in that position.

Next comes busses for the same reasons.  Then the hierarchy trickles down through 4-wheel drives (beware Fortuners) and sedans (be especially aware of newish Merc's and Beamers) and then big bikes and Taxi scooters (by default 99% of taxi riders are hopelessly untalented and the best ones are actually female), sidecar scooters, scooters, E-scooters (the derge of all motorists), general cyclists, but beware those wearing lycra, and then pedestrians.  The bottom of the food chain are anybody on a mobility scooter or similar.

You are responsible for your life.  Why the hell would somebody think that everybody else cares more about their survival than they do themselves. 

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Boyn said:

If the police saw 4 farangs on a motorbike what do you think they would do then?

A friend of mine was driving down beach road in Pattaya and a thai girl came out of a soi on a motorbike and ran into him .

a policeman came along and fined him. when my mate protested the cop said ,

she small thai on motorbike you big falang in car so you pay, he actually followed my mate all the way out to the dark side to get cash as my mate did not have much on him, TIT.

He would not have gotten any money from me. Even in this Banana Republic, you have to stand your ground providing you are sure you are 100% in the right as is the case here.

1 hour ago, Xonax said:

It is also yes if the car in front of you is indicating to turn right. Riding a motorbike is nothing to do with rules, it is mostly just common sense, so that rules out most Thais.

• Like 1