New Thai education law will kill kids’ creativity, warn critics

webfact

5 hours ago, Granet said:

The State educates for the growth of The State.

Isn't that normal?

A state that wants to evolve and remain competitive must educate students to the future needs of the nations industry.

What Thailand needs to do is drop the indoctrination model, allow students to explore and ask questions, seeks answers via experimentation.

Drop the "we must be subservient to all those above us" and instill  "we must challenge those above us" and become better !

Challenge old models by constant updating methods and material for teaching.

Award positive thinking and encourage industry to have a deeper connection to teaching facilities.

Industry must have a louder say in what is required for future development and education  ministers must listen and respond accordingly.

Not one education system churning out an annual "one model fits all"

Nothing wrong with kids at the age of 12 being steered towards an end career and having that in mind choosing the right subjects to get there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, Gsxrnz said:

Some posters may want to examine the current state of education in their home countries and not rely on their (our) memory of how we were educated back in the day.

Education critique is a big thing currently in most of the Western world.  Essentially our grandkids are now being taught to hate their country, gender is optional and gender fluidity is encouraged, parents are not permitted an opinion on school curriculum, CRT is the new religion, Europeans are the scurge of the earth and responsible for all the world's historical evil, Iconic people from Ghandi to Mother Therese were evil, and calculus (and I kid you not) was actually practiced by Australian Aborigines 50,000 years ago.

I'm not saying the Thai system is any better, but comparing it to what we had 40 years ago is a far cry from comparing it to today's western education systems.

All their calculations must have equaled zero. About the same amount of progress they made in their time of practicing.

1 hour ago, nobodysfriend said:

I think to talk about ' quality ' is greatly exaggerated .

Just think about how many Thais are able to speak another language ...

Same could be said for Aussies and Mericans most of whom to be honest even struggle with English

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Every encounter I had with UK education both as a student in the 1970s and a teacher in the 2000s involved gangs, bullying and beatings. From television shows, it appears to be the same in the USA.

This doesn't appear to be the case in Thailand, so I'll stick my neck out and say I prefer the Thai education system.

Look at Thailand’s dreadful ratings in the PISA educational tables (languishing near the bottom) to better inform your opinion. The results are visible in everyday life - shop /restaurant staff that can’t do the simplest of arithmetic without a calculator, poor foreign language skills and the country’s inability to produce properly functioning websites ( Thailand pass /90 day reports) .

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/1808509/poor-grades-for-thai-students-in-pisa-tests

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

If you read the article, they are suggesting some common sense approaches. Sure, having students consider career choices ages 6-12 won't change their life choices much, but it might just plant a seed or two in fertile soil. I didn't see much wrong at all in the article,

Personally, I see no harm in encouraging kids at an early age to explore  subjects and skills (and I'm not just talking about wood/metal work!) where they may have a proficiency in and/or enthusiasm for, especially in a country where academia plays second fiddle to 'who you know' and 'how beautiful one might be'..............................................................as long as less scholarly kids still leave school with decent maths and first language skills, there's absolutely no harm in fast tracking them with non academic skills for early apprentiship and so forth............................I find it hard to believe that Western curriculums haven't already really embraced this type of system.....................................perhaps someone can suggest to the contrary...........

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

These Muppets want to stop any free thinking and creativity because they don't have any and their intelligence levels are zero.

They just want robot citizens who obey the commands from a miserable bunch of cronies.

The Thai education system has been in free fall for a decade or more and the vested interests of the teachers keep it that way.

Yep. I've been here nearly 30 years, and as far as I remember education has always been the last issue on any political priority or budget list..

7 hours ago, Granet said:

The State educates for the growth of The State.

Actually the state educates for the unity of the nation. This has been the primary purpose of education in Thailand for some time as stated in National education curriculum.

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Realistically speaking, can education get any worse in Thailand? When students are not allowed to question their teachers, who are pathologically afraid of losing face, how will the kids learn and keep open minds and get the creative juices flowing?

Rather than so called reform, it would be better to admit total failure, and rebuild the system from scratch, using outside help, from the top rated nations in the world for education. 

Unless they are simply trying to avoid reform, and a creative and vibrant youth. That is more likely. The army is despised like never before, despite their attempts to oppress. 

have no problem with reform but this statement scares me

"using outside help, from the top rated nations in the world for education."

I fear that is out of the frying pan into the fire.....

When I look at fess charged by outside education providers here by "top" rated schools.... its obvious its a cash cow not an education system....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Asquith Production said:

From 6 to 12 years of age they are also expected to start exploring career choices!.  I was not sure what I wanted to do when I left school.

I still don't what I would if I had the chance the be young again, I'm close to retirement age right now.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

“Today’s youngsters enjoy freedom, independence, democracy, diversity, and active citizenship. But these two draft laws appear to promote centralization, dictating what children must do at each stage of their lives,” said Sompong, an education lecturer at Chulalongkorn University.

And all the while these Muppets argue, and bicker, and shout their credentials around the whole Country, my Daughter  ( M 6 ) has been learning an absolutely essential life skill going forward into the 21 st Century.

You wont believe this 

She has been spending a massive amount of time in Term One learning ........ Dancing !

I mean the Foxtrot and Waltz Etc !!!!!!!!! - what place in the modern World does this Dung have ?

The poor Girl has been wasting Hours and Hours on with online Videos, Essays Etc on this, when she really sees her future within Computers and AI

If these 2 Draft Laws stop the nonsense that is the Thai Education System, and give the kids some kind of a chance within the modern World, then I am all for it

• Like 2

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Realistically speaking, can education get any worse in Thailand? When students are not allowed to question their teachers, who are pathologically afraid of losing face, how will the kids learn and keep open minds and get the creative juices flowing?

Rather than so called reform, it would be better to admit total failure, and rebuild the system from scratch, using outside help, from the top rated nations in the world for education. 

Unless they are simply trying to avoid reform, and a creative and vibrant youth. That is more likely. The army is despised like never before, despite their attempts to oppress. 

You can't rebuild a system immediately because the teachers have also been taught 'the Thai way' one would have to start with a new influx of teacher training college students. The system is nothing without the people using it, a new system with the old guard is next to useless. This may have come about because of the demonstrations concerning 'you know who', the geriatrics in parliament consider that the status quo must be maintained.

• Like 1