Thai PM’s odd suggestions cause quite a stir

webfact

3 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Learning to swim and speak two languages assumed normal from 5 years old.

Yes, but apparently not in Thailand and that´s what it´s all about, right? Then someone has to inform about it, or do you have a better solution to the problem?

4 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

One way to nurture stability would be to ease up on trying to squeeze money out of expats.  We have kept this country from imploding.  How about reducing the ridiculous import tax on our cigarettes and wine/spirits.  That is a direct attack on us.

Ah.

But farang has.

Thai has not.

Ok to take...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

Crawling under netting seems to have been more important to teach at school rather than swimming or languages

What? As well as:

Love Thailand lessons.

History lessons (that only involve Thailand and its Kings).

Buddha lessons.

Very little time left for learning anything beneficial.

• Like 2

Am I mistaken, or is this the same person who, some time ago,  claimed   eventually the whole world  populace would be speaking Thai.   ?           And as an addendum,    I have never heard  his mightiness speak a word of English.. Can he, anybody know???

• Like 1

I wish all the naysayers here would stop and realise this is a significant step  for the Chief... to state if "you drown you will die" is a real positive step in understanding "action and reaction" and  "causality". Its taken sometime but he is learning.....

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

actually he is correct in that every child should learn to swim, it should be mandatory ....  as for the language I have always said schools MUST make english a requirement.  A child that can speak English has a far better opportunity to travel and advance in life through career prospects, than one that can't. 

Amen to a second language.  But from personal experience very few Thai teachers can properly teach it.  So much on the world uses and some occupations are required to know/use the English language.  But will Chinese be the second language here soon?

Just now, dlclark97 said:

Amen to a second language.  But from personal experience very few Thai teachers can properly teach it.  So much on the world uses and some occupations are required to know/use the English language.  But will Chinese be the second language here soon?

Learning to swim is a must!  Aside from the safety aspect, for the young (and some old) it opens up a whole new world of adventure especially if they also learn to snorkel and even SCUBA dive. 

5 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

I'm by no means a fan, but some here could probably find a way to criticize him if he recommended people ate more fruits and vegetables, quit smoking, and looked both ways before crossing the street.

If you looked both ways before crossing the street, you would be hit from behind.

• Haha 2

It's just an opinion and seems reasonable to me. These basic life skills should be taught from an earliest age at school.

It always surprises me that Thailand has such an abundance of rivers and lakes, but with hardly any recreational users.

5 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

It´s not an odd comment at all. The fact is that there are too many people that can´t swim in Thailand. He´s perfectly right in saying it could save your life. It is also a fact that Thai people need to learn English as a second language. Both due to better work in the tourism sector as well as the world is moving towards internet and online business, where English is a required language to be successful.

As some poster mentions, that he sounds like a child when explaining to people. That might be true, but that is probably only to come down to a level where everyone can understand.

Coming down to a level everyone can understand isn't really very difficult for him, is it?

6 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

The day that Thailand  was transformed was 22nd May 2014 , and it has gone downhill ever since !

Actually the truer reflection of the transformation dates back to the late 1950s. 

A better understanding of contemporary Thai history is required to know the bigger picture. 

Part of the long standing theatre that some recognize and others don't.

6 hours ago, keith101 said:

He is Military and knows nothing about the real people and their lives and just thinks it makes him look good for re election .

Really funny!

You think there are many politicians that know about the common people?

You think Thaksin has any idea, to name but one?