baggage limits on various domestic airlines in thailand. i have alot of luggage and bicycle

yogi yogi

hello ive been flying around thailand for years with my inflatable kayak on board the plane. now im traveling with bicycle as extra luggage..........am i correct that if you have alot of luggage that air asia is the only airline that can accommodate.  such a shame , as other airlines are missing out of business.  from what i can tell ,  all other airlines ,  40kg is maximum amount of luggage.   my bicycle weighs 25 kg.  and i carry 25 to 30 kg luggage beyond that.   so my luggage is at least 50kg.  other airlines used to accommodate that amount. including nok, and thai lion,  but no more.   i do see that bangkok airways says they will load a bike on board plane for free, but they dont specify the weight limit.   for this reason i only fly air asia now.  if u have alot of luggage air asia is only option now

I have a bicycle and a foldable kayak to move around, but I'm not aware of any airline which allows more than 40kg checked in baggage at reasonable price. I used the train to move with my bicycle, would be good to hear if any airline offers check-in baggage with reasonable surcharges, the air coverage is better than the train one.

Now I can't comment directly on Thai airlines.

But I work for Delta in the US, and cover the United contract at our station.

Bikes can be tricky. It's not the weight that's the issue it's the linear measurement, and that's the sum of height length and width of your bike case.

The reason we do it because of cargo space, especially on some regional aircraft.

So this is one where the rules may well be carrier specific often based on their fleet type, but usually airline websites have a section dedicated to onboard cargo

15 hours ago, bojo said:

I was under the impression that bicycles with Bangkok Airways had to go 'Cargo', but not according to this link..............regardless, PG domestic Cargo is very affordable in Thailand...................................

https://www.bangkokair.com/special-baggage/bicycle

I think you are correct. I'm not sure what's going on since the pandemic hit. In July 2019, the last time I departed Thailand we had business class tickets from BKK to AGS. However, we had to purchase tickets to get us from Ubon to BKK. I knew we were overweight, so I bought 2 tickets for each of us. That didn't work. We couldn't carry extra baggage because we had extra tickets.  So, we were 70 KG's over and they wanted a ridiculous price of 1000 baht per kilo. The lady in charge told us we could take our excess baggage and ship it freight by Lion Air (if I remember correctly). She even helped us carry of bags to their location and stayed with us until we completed the process. That was the rules, so that was it. I don't remember the freight charge, but is was not expensive at all. Strangely, the next morning I grabbed a taxi from our airport hotel and headed to the address they gave me. That took me to the Thai Air freight terminal and that's where I picked up about 6 bags. On an additional note, we were seated across the aisle from Mum Jokmok.

Edited by jonnit
Added

1 hour ago, ronster said:

My friend arrived in Bkk today and will be flying to roi et tomorrow with Air Asia. He is only allowed 7kg carry on and no hold luggage at all . 

In the past I think Air Asia had a 15kg limit but you could purchase a higher weight limit. He wasn't allowed to purchase a higher limit?

Just now, elgenon said:

Yogi Yogi. I have  flown Thai Air Asia. I think I checked into Lion but the cost to upgrade from 15kg was crazy. AA was much cheaper above 15kg. Your experience was different? I bought a 25kg limit.

Dang! I forgot to say I liked it better when the AA flight attendants wore tight jeans.

3 hours ago, ronster said:

My friend arrived in Bkk today and will be flying to roi et tomorrow with Air Asia. He is only allowed 7kg carry on and no hold luggage at all . 

So strange but true.

Are they lacking baggage handlers at DMK or ROI?

Due to flightstats it's an A320! (not a Cessna Piper :biggrin:)

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

ThaiSmile's most expensive booking class includes 30 kg.

Cheap classes include 20 kg.

Excess baggage cost per kilogram depending on route.

(55 to 90 Baht/kg, Chiang Mai - Phuket 125 Baht/kg)

Don't know whether have a max limit.

https://www.thaismileair.com/gallery/Baggage/GS-FM-408_Excess_baggage_charge.pdf

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, elgenon said:

In the past I think Air Asia had a 15kg limit but you could purchase a higher weight limit. He wasn't allowed to purchase a higher limit?

No , upon booking it said no hold luggage allowed. Not sure if was just to this destination from Bkk or all their flights.

11 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

So strange but true.

Are they lacking baggage handlers at DMK or ROI?

Due to flightstats it's an A320! (not a Cessna Piper :biggrin:)

Not sure . There was only one flight on days I looked but usually there are three per day . I guessed it was to save costs as probably got rid of staff . But I thought the staff doing the loading etc would be employed by the airport and not the airline .

Very interesting post.

I already have a 'Thailand Pass' to return to Thailand from Australia on 9 Dec, after a long separation from my family, all caused by Covid stuff.

Singapore Airlines will carry my folding lightweight wheelchair (12 Kg) free Sydney to Bkk, but I also have a folding walker with wheels and about 30Kg of other luggage.

For the trip Sydney to Bkk I can buy plenty of extra Kg and overall no problems.

But then I need to fly Bkk to Chiang Mai. And I'm hoping to pay for the flight and luggage with a large credit I have with AirAsia. AA doesn't have any free carriage of wheelchairs (most budget airlines don't), so my total luggage Kgs is around 48 - 50 Kg.

You mentioned that AirAsia seem to allow a higher total Kgs (not free of course). So I'm hoping that's true.

I haven't yet made my domestic booking because until I get the test and go negative report (and there's reports some 1 night hotels are quite slow to do the swab test and quite slow to forward to report), I'm hesitant to make my domestic booking (hopefully with AirAsia to use my credits).

On the other hand Thai Smile will carry my wheelchair free, but that leaves about 36 - 38 Kgs of other baggage (including my folded walker with wheels). I e.mailed Thai Smile about the 36 - 38 Kgs, they replied that wheelchairs are carried free ( I already knew that) but I have to ask at the departure airport about the maximum paid Kgs and maximum number of items. Which leaves me lost.

Still hoping of course that AirAsia will allow a total of around 48 - 50 Kgs (and expecting to pay for it with credits).

A different question; has anybody ever had more than the maximum Kgs on a domestic flight and what did you do about it? On the budget airlines is it possible to send things as unaccompanied baggage or as cargo, or ???

Another thought - maybe when I get the negative 'Test and Go' report quickly make the online booking with AirAsia and buy (using 'manage my booking') the maximum extra luggage Kgs.

If the maximum is under my actual 48 - 50 Kgs then quickly ask the hotel to help send 1 or 2 items by DHL / Kerry or whatever (recommendations appreciated) from the hotel to my home address in Chiang Mai. Would there be any complications with that strategy? 

Please share, thanks. 

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

if travelling around Asia with more than 40kgs of luggage or belongings it is advisable to travel by Train or some Bus companies will accept bikes. 

Airlines generally won't accept anymore than 40kgs per passenger.  

trains have luggage limits too

Edited by yogi yogi
spelling
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, ronster said:

No , upon booking it said no hold luggage allowed. Not sure if was just to this destination from Bkk or all their flights.

Seems to be new regulations on some routes and not only in Thailand. I heard of one airline in Australia putting an absolute limit on cabin bag of 7 Kgs (meaning computer bag / ladies handbag) and no other bags allowed (e.g. small wheely suitcase not allowed).

And If the passenger wants to forego computer bag/handbag the small wheely suitcase must be within the 7 Kgs allowance and within quite small measurements.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Very interesting post.

I already have a 'Thailand Pass' to return to Thailand from Australia on 9 Dec, after a long separation from my family, all caused by Covid stuff.

Singapore Airlines will carry my folding lightweight wheelchair (12 Kg) free Sydney to Bkk, but I also have a folding walker with wheels and about 30Kg of other luggage.

For the trip Sydney to Bkk I can buy plenty of extra Kg and overall no problems.

But then I need to fly Bkk to Chiang Mai. And I'm hoping to pay for the flight and luggage with a large credit I have with AirAsia. AA doesn't have any free carriage of wheelchairs (most budget airlines don't), so my total luggage Kgs is around 48 - 50 Kg.

You mentioned that AirAsia seem to allow a higher total Kgs (not free of course). So I'm hoping that's true.

I haven't yet made my domestic booking because until I get the test and go negative report (and there's reports some 1 night hotels are quite slow to do the swab test and quite slow to forward to report), I'm hesitant to make my domestic booking (hopefully with AirAsia to use my credits).

On the other hand Thai Smile will carry my wheelchair free, but that leaves about 36 - 38 Kgs of other baggage (including my folded walker with wheels). I e.mailed Thai Smile about the 36 - 38 Kgs, they replied that wheelchairs are carried free ( I already knew that) but I have to ask at the departure airport about the maximum paid Kgs and maximum number of items. Which leaves me lost.

Still hoping of course that AirAsia will allow a total of around 48 - 50 Kgs (and expecting to pay for it with credits).

A different question; has anybody ever had more than the maximum Kgs on a domestic flight and what did you do about it? On the budget airlines is it possible to send things as unaccompanied baggage or as cargo, or ???

Another thought - maybe when I get the negative 'Test and Go' report quickly make the online booking with AirAsia and buy (using 'manage my booking') the maximum extra luggage Kgs.

If the maximum is under my actual 48 - 50 Kgs then quickly ask the hotel to help send 1 or 2 items by DHL / Kerry or whatever (recommendations appreciated) from the hotel to my home address in Chiang Mai. Would there be any complications with that strategy? 

Please share, thanks. 

dont overthink it.  air asia willl take all your stuff. u just pay extra for prepay.  its doable

2 minutes ago, yogi yogi said:

except air asia

30 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

ThaiSmile's most expensive booking class includes 30 kg.

Cheap classes include 20 kg.

Excess baggage cost per kilogram depending on route.

(55 to 90 Baht/kg, Chiang Mai - Phuket 125 Baht/kg)

Don't know whether have a max limit.

https://www.thaismileair.com/gallery/Baggage/GS-FM-408_Excess_baggage_charge.pdf

again air asis is only airline now that is on the ball ,  100baht per kg. so 10 kg is 1000 baht . too much

10 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Very interesting post.

Please share, thanks. 

just use air asia prepay baggage, they are the only game in town. that is why i posted this. im suprised no other airline is doing what air asia is doing

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

Thanks.

Thanks, good strategy, and If needed I'm sure the hotel can arrange to send the extra items by local road transport. 

After I make the AA flight booking if the total Kgs is a problem I'll speak to the hotel staff quickly to get some road transport arranged. 

• Like 1

Lots of confusing information here. There are a few airlines that include hold bagage (usually up to 10-15 kg) even in their cheapest tickets. These are (were) Nok, Thai Smile and Thai Lionair. The other two major 'budget' airlines, Thai AirAsia and ThaiVietjet air do NOT (though they have more expensive options that do). Here you can purchase hold bagage in increments, usually cheaper if you do this at the time of booking, fares at the airport can be steep.

Regarding cabin luggage, the max 7 kg limit or thereabouts has officially been in force (not just in Thailand) for many years. This has to do with the overhead bins which are not designed for heavy stuff. However, the number of cabin luggage differs per airline, some are trying to limit it to one piece, for others you can take a small bag + a computer. In addition their is usually a size limit.

I have never heard of hold luggage not being allowed on a flight (except for very small commuter planes), either this was a special case or a misunderstanding: basic AirAsia tickets do NOT include hold luggage. They only fly A320/A321 so space should not be a problem but many airports in the west have a shortage of personal (people made redundant) might be the same here?

Getting to the bicycle: note that not just the weight but also the dimensions are critical. Suppose you had something that only weighed 15 kg but had outsize dimensions, it will be refused. At AirAsia you can book up to 40 kg hold bagage; if you tick sports equipment, it can also include a bicycle but you will probably have to pack it per their instructions (usually pedals removed, ....) so that it is flat. Cost (via prebooking) for 40 kg is 1,400 B (you can check this by selecting a flight, then going to add-ons, no need to actually book it). Not sure if they will go over this weight.

Alternative, put the bicycle on a train; a few days ago I was at BangSue Junction and I saw them hustling some motorcycles in the cargo carriage of a train. 

Edited by cormanr7
add sentence