My Detailed Booking and cost Sydney to Chiang Mai and return for 30 Days for Wife and Self

I very much doubt that you can buy 2 X return tickets before covid for $1400 SYD-BKK to start with... that's the peak travel season and I haven't seen tickets sub $1200 especially if booked a month or two in advance.

There is  a Jetstar sale "return leg free" for $379 Sydney-Phuket, travel period 13 Jan-13 Apr starting tomorrow. Easy to fly to Chiang Mai from there.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Netease said:

I have put a rough table together to show what you are in for if you take this journey

A lot less than it was for me to go to the UK in August.

Going to the UK I had to take 4 x PCR tests at a cost of about £250 and I had to self isolate for 5 days at a cost of £500.

Coming back to Thailand I was about £150 for test and accommodation at the airport, would have been more than that to be tested locally.

For the COE I had to pay £876 for the quarantine but fortunately some of that was refunded and I also escaped any cost for insurance.

This was all for one person and not including flights, be grateful costs are heading in the right direction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gearbox said:

I very much doubt that you can buy 2 X return tickets before covid for $1400 SYD-BKK to start with... that's the peak travel season and I haven't seen tickets sub $1200 especially if booked a month or two in advance.

There is  a Jetstar sale "return leg free" for $379 Sydney-Phuket, travel period 13 Jan-13 Apr starting tomorrow. Easy to fly to Chiang Mai from there.

BS often flew Thai cattle class Syd CNX $900 AUd return 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, gearbox said:

When...during the December/January school holidays? Yeah...

I will stand correcting myself it was mostly BNE to CNX, and various times of the year, most ever paid for cattle was about 1400Aud.

Perhaps as I only ever needed one seat made the difference, how mostly had no one seated near either direction

Then get to airport and purchase upgrade for penny or two

7 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

I will stand correcting myself it was mostly BNE to CNX, and various times of the year, most ever paid for cattle was about 1400Aud.

Perhaps as I only ever needed one seat made the difference, how mostly had no one seated near either direction

Then get to airport and purchase upgrade for penny or two

One can get a rtn ticket for around $900 SYD-CNX in Feb/March next year...but pretty much no chance whatsoever during the Dec/Jan school holidays. A friend of mine had to travel urgently (within a week) to BKK from Sydney a few years ago during the school holidays...paid $1600 return.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

A lot less than it was for me to go to the UK in August.

Going to the UK I had to take 4 x PCR tests at a cost of about £250 and I had to self isolate for 5 days at a cost of £500.

Coming back to Thailand I was about £150 for test and accommodation at the airport, would have been more than that to be tested locally.

For the COE I had to pay £876 for the quarantine but fortunately some of that was refunded and I also escaped any cost for insurance.

This was all for one person and not including flights, be grateful costs are heading in the right direction.

I went to Europe in July and came back last week. The tickets to Europe are pre-covid prices. I'm in the Phuket Sandbox, costs me 10000 baht (7 days 4 star hotel with breakfast, 1 x PCR test 2400 baht, sha+ taxi from the airport booked via the hotel 900 baht) . My gf was allowed to come and join me after my PCR test was confirmed negative. The other extra cost was 45 euro for a PCR test in Europe, I could do it cheaper in Turkey but couldn't be bothered.

The hotel in Phuket would be significantly more expensive pre covid times. The accommodation in Phuket is still a bargain, the prices are up since my last visit in March, but nowhere near normal times. The negative was that it rained 6 out of 7 days ????  Limited amount of sunshine collected, many cocktails drank.

Overall vast improvement in cost compared to my 15 days ASQ quarantine in January - paid around 45k baht for ASQ jail. Of course the Thailand Pass is a hassle, hopefully will go away soon together with the PCR testing when landing in Thailand.

Edited by gearbox
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It has been possible since the 1st but the problem is getting a international flight to arrive in Chiang Mai.

Transit in Bangkok to domestic destinations in Thailand is currently not permitted. Arriving passengers must complete the required hotel quarantine on arrival in Bangkok. See link here for more information.

• Like 1

The contrast between yesterday's pic of Prayut and his cronies on some Krabi beach and this horror show brilliantly described here in excruciating detail could not be more stark. 

Everything about these details and the Krabi beach screams "Stay Home".

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Netease said:
Transit in Bangkok to domestic destinations in Thailand is currently not permitted. Arriving passengers must complete the required hotel quarantine on arrival in Bangkok. See link here for more information.

I am aware of that. That is why wrote that the problem is getting a international flight to Chiang Mai.

There have been some semi commercial flights (aka charters) that arrived in CM.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I am aware of that. That is why wrote that the problem is getting a international flight to Chiang Mai.

There have been some semi commercial flights (aka charters) that arrived in CM.

I posted that as information for everyone to see so they wont waste time booking a flight that doesn't go first to CNX. I thought Singapore Airline might fly direct from Singapore but couldn't find any If someone knows how to get direct to CNX please share 

15 hours ago, gearbox said:

I went to Europe in July and came back last week. The tickets to Europe are pre-covid prices. I'm in the Phuket Sandbox, costs me 10000 baht (7 days 4 star hotel with breakfast, 1 x PCR test 2400 baht, sha+ taxi from the airport booked via the hotel 900 baht) . My gf was allowed to come and join me after my PCR test was confirmed negative. The other extra cost was 45 euro for a PCR test in Europe, I could do it cheaper in Turkey but couldn't be bothered.

The hotel in Phuket would be significantly more expensive pre covid times. The accommodation in Phuket is still a bargain, the prices are up since my last visit in March, but nowhere near normal times. The negative was that it rained 6 out of 7 days ????  Limited amount of sunshine collected, many cocktails drank.

Overall vast improvement in cost compared to my 15 days ASQ quarantine in January - paid around 45k baht for ASQ jail. Of course the Thailand Pass is a hassle, hopefully will go away soon together with the PCR testing when landing in Thailand.

I couldn't do the sandbox. 

I had one jab in Thailand and one jab in UK, as far as the London Embassy was concerned I was unvaccinated.

36 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Its not just your thread.

BTW thanks for detailed info you provided.

Personally I initially was excited to read Oz announcing change in restrictions for Oz citizens to enter Australia withouts the 14 day quarantine etc.

Hoping to return to see family for couple of weeks.

After reading the 72 page thread on the TP and other nightmare threads, I've decided to push those pans back into next year.

OP, I understand your desire to see your completed new home and I can understand folk now coming to Thailand as many have family here. 

As for the average tourist they must be unstable to consider a holiday here in Thailand with the current hoops.

For those who may be interested Jetstar are flying Bangkok to Melbourne from the 15th December but through Singapore at the moment.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lazybones said:

For those who may be interested Jetstar are flying Bangkok to Melbourne from the 15th December but through Singapore at the moment.

Didnt see that one.

Had email from Jetstar today and they have fly Melb, Sydney to Phuket return flight free. Fares apply to various months 2022.

Not of interest if flying to Oz from Thailand.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Didnt see that one.

Had email from Jetstar today and they have fly Melb, Sydney to Phuket return flight free. Fares apply to various months 2022.

Not of interest if flying to Oz from Thailand.

Generally in the "return" free concept, getting a seat is the major problem, as they only allocate a few seats at those rates per flight, forcing most to pay a higher than average for return seat. 

• Like 1