Registered post will cease to exist in Thailand from the New Year

webfact

2 hours ago, fangless said:

Is that the same system that is used for the 90 day postal reporting?

if so that is going to have a major impact!

Not many Thais have to do 90 day reports...maybe some on probation ????

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Gottfrid said:

You did not know that they have EMS? That´s strange as it has been available worldwide for over two decades, I think.

I have not needed the postal service for more than a decade.  So, I also have never heard of EMS.  It really isn't strange to not know if you have no need to use it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

Registered mail is also 'rap rong'. 'long tabien' is also certified mail. 

So in Thailand, they are interchangeable. To get the signature, you must use additional words. 

I think you mean to get the signature of the receiver, you must also specify "tawp rap", which is true. You can say long thabian, tawp rap and they will give you the orange card.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Immigration needs to get to get the 90 day website working perfectly

before the Post stops the registered mail, can they not find a 12 -15

year old who could do it quickly for them , as the IT people they employ

now are useless.....

regards Worgeordie

Yes but highly doubt Post and Immigration talk to each other, let alone coordinate policy.  Little fiefdoms throughout govt agencies.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

50 minutes ago, mikebike said:

Then why in God's name did you think your were qualified to make an informed post about the topic?

That is why my first post was a question with a comment attached.

I suggest you read it!

Edited by fangless
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, fangless said:

Why should I know about them.  I have never had a need to send a letter in Thailand in over twenty years!

4 hours ago, SmokeandIce said:

I have not needed the postal service for more than a decade.  So, I also have never heard of EMS.  It really isn't strange to not know if you have no need to use it.

Yeah guys! I think it has something to do with general and common knowledge. But, who knows? I could be wrong.

I know a lot about things that I never used or came in contact with. But, then again. Maybe it´s just me.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, rabas said:

I kept it simple for everyone and yes even the English terms are often confused. However, there are two separate services offered by Thailand Post.

1. ไปรษณีย์รับรอง  prai-sa-nee rap-rawn. (mail-certified)

2. ไปรษณีย์ลงทะเบียน  prai-sa-nee long-tha-bian  (mail-registered)

Service 1: Certified mail is being discontinued. Service 2 registered mail is not. My lawyer, sitting next to me (aka my niece) confirms this.  I also called Thailand Post at 1545 and confirmed all the above in Thai. 

So, no change to 90 day reporting.

Thanks for that. I'm not concerned about 90 day reports  but do send my pension providers 'life certificates' to the UK by registered post. From what your saying, that service will continue which is very comforting.

• Like 1

Many times I have sent the 90-day report as a normal mail to the IMO. Never have had a problem.

My experience with registered Mail from Germany: up to 6 weeks before arriving here in the North. The BKK-Airport office was the culprit. The shortest time was 2 1/2 weeks. 

A normal letter from Germany delivered to our home  here  - between 2 and 3 weeks!

probsbly time to.phase out 90 day reporting? without registered post to mail 90 day application and the often non functioning app and web reporting, the only way is to pay personal visit every 90 days or use an agent. But it seems the recent new policy has exempted the retirees who qualified as wealthy category from 90 day reporting, which help to reduce the congestion and covid infection risk in future visits

• Confused 1

I have recently started using Kerry instead of the PO, as it's registered and trackable and very efficient, especially from Isaan to BKK and Pattaya.

Just for your information I was going to get a preventative Med haler that they do not have in Sriracha sent from Bangkok via Kerry.

Price of med haler 550bhat delivery by Kerry 650bhat I said up you and cancelled the process of ordering.  Sriracha is 40 mins drive from Bangkok and one would think that Kerry would have more than my delivery to Sriracha in the next 3 days such a Rip off 

18 hours ago, Andycoops said:

I have recently started using Kerry instead of the PO, as it's registered and trackable and very efficient, especially from Isaan to BKK and Pattaya.

Same here. I have to say that this country is currently in a regressive state, incredibly wealthy though it is. 

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, rabas said:

I kept it simple for everyone and yes even the English terms are often confused. However, there are two separate services offered by Thailand Post.

1. ไปรษณีย์รับรอง  prai-sa-nee rap-rawn. (mail-certified)

2. ไปรษณีย์ลงทะเบียน  prai-sa-nee long-tha-bian  (mail-registered)

Service 1: Certified mail is being discontinued. Service 2 registered mail is not. My lawyer, sitting next to me (aka my niece) confirms this.  I also called Thailand Post at 1545 and confirmed all the above in Thai. 

So, no change to 90 day reporting.

Even Google Translate gets it right.

service cancellation notice 'Certified mail' since January 1, next year, after more than 49 years.

https://www.dailynews.co.th/news/490148/

• Like 1

I guess I better get my passport renewal done quickly.

The USA embassy will only accept passport documents via Thai registered mail or DHL.

I tried to send my election ballot home via DHL in 2020 and it was a complete fail in several ways.

16 hours ago, SmokeandIce said:

Last few times I have needed something like that I simply used DHL.

really have to wonder if it so we can no longer confirm out items are delivered, after having several items stolen by postal workers over the years this was really the only way of being able to trace where they went. When I queried several of the missing items I was told by the head man at the post office that they are aware postal workers do take the items for themselves but can do nothing about it, they have given us back the cost of the missing items but never issued an appology or made the postal worker responsible accept fault, stopping registered mail would make sure we can no longer follow anything through the post to ensure delivery and stop any loss of face

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, seajae said:

really have to wonder if it so we can no longer confirm out items are delivered, after having several items stolen by postal workers over the years this was really the only way of being able to trace where they went. When I queried several of the missing items I was told by the head man at the post office that they are aware postal workers do take the items for themselves but can do nothing about it, they have given us back the cost of the missing items but never issued an appology or made the postal worker responsible accept fault, stopping registered mail would make sure we can no longer follow anything through the post to ensure delivery and stop any loss of face

The report appears to be  inaccurate - nothing to do with registered mail - you can continue to use registered mail or EMS to provide proof of sending 90 day report.

22 hours ago, dddave said:

As copies are now accepted and sending the physical passport is no longer required, registered mail is no longer necessary for the 90 day report by post.

If not sending via SMS (37baht) how do you prove you sent it if they say they never received it?